Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question @kimsufi 500G/C-05G users.

Funny enough, I've seen my OVH uTorrent box run faster sustained speeds than my rTorrent boxes..if what we are talking is speed, for me, I think there may be a couple reasons but it's not proven:
    -OVH has faster peering speeds ovh to ovh?
    -Many of seedbox providers run OVH?
    -Many seeders and private tracker users run using OVH boxes? (especially users on scene trackers with auto-downloaders, grabbing torrents immediately)
    -Many seedboxes are setup with uTorrent, which is AFAIK the only client that prioritizes peers using the same client?

Again, i have to say that it's only what I've seen from my boxes..I'm really interested in learning this side of the SB equation and what really goes into making a high performance seedbox. And I've often wondered WTF!?, as I watched some torrents just completely flop and others chug along at amazing speeds..

I only have 6 servers, 3 server lu's and 3 OVH Kimi C-05's, all setup with different configurations, and only to test what I like best, so my results aren't scientific at all..

Dedi, you're reseller, what do you notice re uTorrent speeds vs rTorrent?

So i totally agree, utorrent can have faster UL/DL speeds in many combinations, but I'd love to hear any stories on performance using uTorrent with 200-300 torrents on an entry level Celeron box..What bothers me about the Wine+UTorrent-webui+VNC combo for sustained seeding is that I've encountered dropped ports and restart issues that required me to pay much more attention to the server than I wanted. I guess those problems happen on all servers, but the thought of restarting and rechecking 200+ torrents is a no go for me in that scenario..

@Dream, i think Ubuntu is about the same as Debian, if u'r not running a gui so I don't think there's much to gainby switching. Although I heard ubuntu 8.04 is pretty great for torrenting..I know a guy who swears by CentOS and another that runs FreeBSD and tries to get everybody to switch..Point being, if you are trying to save resources, eliminating anything you feel is unnecessary to running a clean seedbox if you want to become a perm seeder and make mass torrents available for users at your trackers..

-uTorrent requires wine and some sort of desktop, lxde, xfce and fluxbox are my favorites.
    -rTorrent requires SSH and not much else or if you need to work graphically, you'll need a webserver; Apache, Lighttpd, or Cherokee.
    -Some of the other choices seem like they will offer more probs in your scenario than not. I've tried Azureus, Deluge and Transmission(with TFlux and native interfaces) in different servers and ultimately wasn't satisfied for one reason or another..
    Last edited by brgroup; 10-25-2009 at 10:50 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster
    Yes using uTorrent with wine on a Linux based server might cause some lag, but I don't think uTorrent with Windows would work much better (on a server) as Windows is a horrible server platform, and OVH has tremendous issues installing and maintaining Windows based servers. Most of my clients do use our preconfigured seedbox system, which emulates uTorrent via Wine, and we have not heard of any staility issues. I run this setup myself snatching more or less 60 torrents per day, and I have not had any issues.

I've only tried using rTorrent on two occasions, and found it to not only be difficult to work for a newbie user, but also had slower snatch speeds compared to u.

Running 200-300 torrents on a C-05G... craziness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12