Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think once you join a "high lvl" site you become a better member?

Totti's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    I was thinking to my self let's an average user who doesn't post that much on tracker forums and mostly only leeches off them gets invited to a high lvl tracker that puts a priority on community by a friend.
    Now this person is exposed to a different kind of tracker and environment could he rub off the other users and start to be more active/ contribute more to the sites he is already a member of and hence improve the tracker, or will he just stay anonymous on the tracker he just joined and on his older trackers.....
    This does depend on the individual but if someone does join a certain community he can definitely change for the better in my opinion.....

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Good Question. Most folks seem to avoid close community contact and are just leechers. At any given site, about 3 percent of the membership is active on the boards and the rest just come to seed and leech. I honestly don't think that people change their stripes unless there is pressure put on them to do so. I am a social animal and have always taken part in the community aspects of the sites I join, including the forums, chats and any other interactive aspects the sites provide. The hard part about this is when the sites go down and you lose contact with folks all over the world that you have been friends with.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Totti's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21BT Rep +21
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball67 View Post
    The hard part about this is when the sites go down and you lose contact with folks all over the world that you have been friends with.
    I'm sorry about what happened to your site was never part of it but I can see how good of a place it was by all the members that are popping up here recently trying to stay in touch with one another

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    beco's Avatar seeding BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Nice question totti ,
    Never thought about this subject before ...but interesting perspective , lets see what the other think about this .

im sure that for some of us here that sound foolish my answer..
    generally speaking I think .....yes .
    why ?
    Maybe because of that are closed communities ...and part of the firends there ,they are your personal friends , and some of that community you have personal relations with the staff ....Therefore you have larger commitment to the community ...your part of the " responsibility " .
    My opinion .
    rabbit for ever

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It really depends on the person. I doubt you'd change much, most people who become active in the communities of these sites are active elsewhere. However, there are a ton of people that just seed and leech on these sites too.
    Last edited by ca_aok; 10-31-2009 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Fishy2's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It had an impact on me, OK it was limited but defo made me post a handful of times more than I would have otherwise. Does depend on content 2

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Benjamin's Avatar Poster
    I used to only leech/seed until I started getting comments like "2 years on the site and 0 forum posts?" so I started to post here and there.
    "She tried to be sexy, I asked her can you stop, I want the real deal I don't want a hand job."

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I think environment will always play a strong role in people's lives. Many things that are true in the real world are also true online.

If someone is welcomed into a fair, trusting, and empowering environment they are more likely to want to take part. And ultimately enjoy being an active member.

However, there is also the other side. That is, some people are socially inept. There are places to learn how to "fit in" where people can practice what is acceptable, or taboo, without facing long-term rejection.

"High level" or "Elitez" or "Sites of desirability" are just like any other club. Some places thrive with exclusivity, while others do a great job with getting people started. It is (or should be) how individuals handle themselves in social situations that determines there acceptance.

I have had a couple of recent PMs requesting that I reopen a discussion similar to the last sentence above. I am still forming my thoughts, but plan to do so soon. Thanks for those requests.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    There are trackers I choose NOT to post and there are trackers that I may want to post in the forum. I don't feel pressured to post and I don't feel the pressure to conformed with the (tracker) community. I think this feeling of 'wanting to be somebody and rubbing shoulder with the top gun' is common among younger BT users.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Well people don't change<--jk .
    But I guess it all depends on the level of discourse going on.Granted very few of us can contribute anything meaningful to a 'Do you give credence to the existence of an intelligent designer and why' thread as opposed to a 'would you hit that' thread.Same applies for the viceversa.

So I don't think its about being socially inept but rather the kind of forum activity one is exposed to.There is also the fact that english is not universal.

Otherwise if sites made us better forumers simply because they were harder to get into(what a fallacy) then surely sites like fsc would at least have more than 10% of the members being active in the forums as opposed to other site(sear posted this in another thread incase you are wondering).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast