Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky
    So have we found out anything about winter, is it like, coming?
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Indeed it is.
    Unless you live in Tahiti.
    Or even New Zealand, where summer is just starting to get really warm, so wrap up all you merkins, I'll be thinking of you.....
    Last edited by Artemis; 12-07-2011 at 04:00 AM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

2. Movies & TV   -   #102
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Or even New Zealand, where summer is just starting to get really warm, so wrap up all you merkins, I'll be thinking of you.....
    That is one of the coolest parts of being in the southern hemisphere- a warm, non-icy, Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Movies & TV   -   #103
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    My fucking climate sucks, I'm still in shorts. The question about winter coming applies to my IRL sitch. I have jeans, sweatshirts, long sleeves, suede and leather jackets that get absolutely no outside time. I fucking can't wait to move.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. Movies & TV   -   #104
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'm through the first six episodes and though undeniably well done( especially the production values) I still am left with a feeling that the characters are little more than pieces on a game board.
    Given the show's title maybe that is the intention but I would still prefer people to be more in control of their own fates.
    Respect my lack of authority.

5. Movies & TV   -   #105
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I would still prefer people to be more in control of their own fates.
    A thoroughly modern objection to a thoroughly medieval story.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Movies & TV   -   #106
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    That is one of the coolest parts of being in the southern hemisphere- a warm, non-icy, Christmas.
    That would be one of the worst parts in my opinion. I couldn't imagine a Christmas without cold/ snow. A warm Christmas just wouldn't feel like Christmas. But then again winter is my favorite season so I'm a bit biased. Winters are getting more and more bitch-like by me(meaning I'm no longer seeing snow all season long, just now the temp is getting pretty cold, Chicago winters used to be so brutal) so I can't wait to move where their harsher at some point in my life.

Anyways, about this show, I still haven't watched it. I'm going to wait until after the second season to start it so I have more than six episodes to watch.

7. Movies & TV   -   #107
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post

Anyways, about this show, I still haven't watched it. I'm going to wait until after the second season to start it so I have more than six episodes to watch.
    I hate to rain on your parade, but there are 10 episodes in the first series, so now you have no reason to wait :

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

8. Movies & TV   -   #108
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I would still prefer people to be more in control of their own fates.
    To clarify it's not so much that I object to the vagaries of fate but rather that up to that point in the series some characters lacked depth and seemed little more that pieces being moved around for plot purposes.
    Since I wrote that though I've finished Season 1 and now feel a lot more "connected" to some of the people. Actually one of the pleasure of the series is that even (seemingly) minor characters are imbued with enough individuality/personality to give things a sense of realism.
    I don't think the novels are a good as some seem determined to give them credit as being ,but there is no denying that the TV show was created by people who want it to be the best that it can possibly be.
    I'm still not sure if limitations of the medium preventing big scale battle scenes is a good or bad thing though. I could have stood to seen Jamie captured for instance but given the choice none is better than bad CG.

Overall so far the show's a lot less"dark" than I thought it would be.I know things don't turn out too well for several characters further down the road but now that I'm invested I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 01-03-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Respect my lack of authority.

9. Movies & TV   -   #109
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    To clarify it's not so much that I object to the vagaries of fate but rather that up to that point in the series some characters lacked depth and seemed little more that pieces being moved around for plot purposes.
    Since I wrote that though I've finished Season 1 and now feel a lot more "connected" to some of the people. Actually one of the pleasure of the series is that even (seemingly) minor characters are imbued with enough individuality/personality to give things a sense of realism.
    I don't think the novels are a good as some seem determined to give them credit as being ,but there is no denying that the TV show was created by people who want it to be the best that it can possibly be.
    I'm still not sure if limitations of the medium preventing big scale battle scenes is a good or bad thing though. I could have stood to seen Jamie captured for instance but given the choice none is better than bad CG.

Overall so far the show's a lot less"dark" than I thought it would be.I know things don't turn out too well for several characters further down the road but now that I'm invested I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
    Shut the fuck up.

10. Movies & TV   -   #110
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You dive right into the center of what had to be the producer's biggest problem.
    GoT is a massive story with extensive internal historical perspective and in book form, can meander to it's heart's content explaining the baroque nuances that color everything.
    Most boring TV ever.
    Believe it or not, the HBO version cuts out dozens of characters from the book and all the serpentine subplots they inhabited but even so it's easy to see how the uninitiated would find the series initially abrupt and mechanical.

I wonder if this wasn't more an aesthetic than budgetary choice. The anti-LOTR if you will, no endless Orc battles.

You're a better person now.
    Last edited by clocker; 01-04-2012 at 05:00 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast