Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless PC Monitor?

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Has anyone heard of a wireless PC monitor, Touchscreen would be a plus?
    I've never seen one and Google isn't helping much.
    What I would like is something in the form of a tablet but would be showing the desktop of- and controlling- my PC.
    Even something in the shape of a laptop, just without the guts, would be perfect.

I'm moving into a very small bedroom temporarily during renovations and won't have room for a full desk, and to buy a laptop or even netbook just seems like a waste.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Nope but a wireless keyboard/mouse and a 5 metre VGA cable would surely do the trick.
    I did a similar thing when I first connected my PC to the big telly about seven years ago.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Never heard of a wireless monitor sorry all I have is a wireless mouse and keyboard.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Basically the impossibility with wireless monitors is that no wireless signal could support the bandwidth. If you think about how much data goes through your HDMI cable, the difficulty should become clearer. I don't know if any tablets could handle remote desktopping over the network just from OS limitations alone.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Basically the impossibility with wireless monitors is that no wireless signal could support the bandwidth. If you think about how much data goes through your HDMI cable, the difficulty should become clearer. I don't know if any tablets could handle remote desktopping over the network just from OS limitations alone.
    Devices exist that can send signals wirelessly from computer, dvd, whatever, over to your TV, so the technology exists.

We can receive over-the-air HD signals to our digital tv tuners.
    Devices exist that can send signals wirelessly from computer, dvd, whatever, over to your TV, so the technology exists.
    Last edited by tesco; 07-16-2012 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    There are HDMI Digital Wireless Audio Video Sender Transmitter & Receiver System with IR Remote Extender listed on amazon (Nyrius NAVS500 HD). But I never seen one in action although it's not quite what you wanted.
    Last edited by Darth Sushi; 07-16-2012 at 02:32 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    That's a combined video/audio stream, it's completely different than the information sent over an HDMI cable. The only way you can have wireless video is if it is being transcoded on the fly and sent in its compressed format over the air to be decoded on the display. This is similar to how Skyfire works if you're familiar with it. The interactivity within that environment is what tends to suffer.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    That's a combined video/audio stream, it's completely different than the information sent over an HDMI cable. The only way you can have wireless video is if it is being transcoded on the fly and sent in its compressed format over the air to be decoded on the display. This is similar to how Skyfire works if you're familiar with it. The interactivity within that environment is what tends to suffer.
    Do those systems end up lagging? Is that why it's unsuitable for a pc monitor?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    The keyboard and mouse are wireless. The monitor is not.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I've got networking problems that have kept me from doing it recently, but I used to LOVE running my desktop PC from my netbook via Remote Desktop. I found an article which covers what you'd need to do use a tablet to run your desktop. It's doable, and there are probably newer apps available than those in the article. I still favor the netbook- they've got significantly more power, and options right now.

Cables really aren't that imposing and they can be had reasonably. There's no lag, and you get full resolution.

If you went the netbook direction, you would be able to add a touchscreen to many of them (check out availability and difficulty first). I think this route would even be cheaper than purchasing a touchscreen monitor- wireless, or not. Anything of moderate review starts around $400. None of them seem to be knock-it-out-of-the-park great, either.

A netbook with a SSD is a really nice device to have. I tend to use mine at the kitchen table, and do about 85% of my online stuff on it. When I've got class, I toss it into my backpack, and it takes up about the same space as a hardback textbook.

That's my vote, anyway. Tuck the PC in the closet, and run it from a netbook. Add a reliable SSD and a touchscreen, if desired. I doubt you'd regret it. Either that, or just get a long cable ($35-45- I'm guessing, on Amazon) like Manker suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast