Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question With A Case

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Robert00000@4 January 2004 - 20:15
    Make sure you get the correct case for your processor. It may seem a strange thing to say, but the connectors from the lights (on the front of the case) have different types of connections on an athlon compatible case and a P4 case.

What?

Please.
    Tell us that you are kidding.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I have seen some Dell machines that don't use the standard ATX form factor. If that's the situation then, no you cannot do it.

What model is it?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Its a Dell 4600.... Dimension 4600

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    BANNED
    Originally posted by clocker+4 January 2004 - 20:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 4 January 2004 - 20:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robert00000@4 January 2004 - 20:15
    Make sure you get the correct case for your processor. It may seem a strange thing to say, but the connectors from the lights (on the front of the case) have different types of connections on an athlon compatible case and a P4 case.

What?

Please.
    Tell us that you are kidding. [/b][/quote]
    actually my last 2 machines i had to make slight modifications to the connectors because they didnt fit correctly into my mobo (it was a 3-pin connector with just 2 cables..... one on each end.... i had to put one on the middle)...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Dell Dimension 4600

Well for one thing, it has a duct for the CPU cooling that is not standard. Also from the picture I cannot tell if it&#39;s an ATX form factor or not. I suspect not (based on other Dell models i&#39;ve worked on)

If you look at the back you&#39;ll see it&#39;s not the standard 80mm case fan either.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    BANNED
    looks like a micro-ATX case and mobo to me.... the place for the fan does look big tho...oh nm thats the cooling thing...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by DWk+5 January 2004 - 22:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DWk @ 5 January 2004 - 22:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@4 January 2004 - 20:51
    <!--QuoteBegin-Robert00000
    @4 January 2004 - 20:15

What?

Please.
    actually my last 2 machines i had to make slight modifications to the connectors because they didnt fit correctly into my mobo (it was a 3-pin connector with just 2 cables..... one on each end.... i had to put one on the middle)... [/b][/quote]
    Yep, its true. It was the same here. I bought a case that was primarily designed for P4 but, also supposed to be completely compatible with Athlon motherboards. But still had to make adjustments to the connectors.

For anyone new to building PC&#39;s i would advise caution when choosing the case. Make sure you ask about the connectors before you buy, unless you know how to change the connectors.
    Robert00000

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by DWk+5 January 2004 - 15:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DWk @ 5 January 2004 - 15:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@4 January 2004 - 20:51
    <!--QuoteBegin-Robert00000
    @4 January 2004 - 20:15

What?

Please.
    actually my last 2 machines i had to make slight modifications to the connectors because they didnt fit correctly into my mobo (it was a 3-pin connector with just 2 cables..... one on each end.... i had to put one on the middle)... [/b][/quote]
    I can easily believe that DW, but those were not AMD/Intel specific differences, merely the choice of your particular case manufacturer.
    I have read that the front header connections should be standardized soon, which will mean that we can expect to see more multiwire-single connector setups soon to replace the now standard single wire-single connector nightmare that we have now.
    Wouldn&#39;t that be nice?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    BANNED
    hells yea lol.... the case i have right now.... i broke the pc-power led cable.....so i dont have a led indicating that my computer is on...only when hdd is active.....kinda funny

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    The dell cases arent that ugly really...at least you dont have an ugly old hp case or something&#33;
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast