Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cicadas.....

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    I was only 12 when they were here last.So I do not remember them.I keep reading about the sound they make and how loud it can get.

So I searched on google to hear what they sound like.I can not wait.

I would like to be able to record some of them.I just do not know how I would do it.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    So I am about to Mow the Back Yard right?I hear a sound like I never heard before.I turn around and this is what I find.They are all over the fence line hanging around the Honey Suckels.....

So I decide to walk around the Yard a little bit and see what I can find.....

I hate to do it.But I need to cut the Back Yard.I hope they forgive me.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday

They're huge

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Mathea's Avatar The Blonde Alibi BT Rep: +5
    Im still trying to grasp the fact that u were thinkin of eatin em

and yuck. they look like locusts. its gonna be gross gettin rid of all the crunchy shells n omg i bet itll smell

:x Im glad I havent seen any here

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Tinjiya (Tswana recipe): remove the wings and hindlegs of the locusts, and boil in a little water until soft. Add salt, if desired, and a little fat and fry until brown. Serve with cooked, dried mealies (corn).

Sikonyane (Swazi recipe): prepare embers and roast the whole locust on the embers. Remove head, wings, and legs, in other words, only the breast part is eaten. The South Sotho people use locusts especially as food for travellers. The heads and last joint of the hindlegs are broken off and the rest laid on the coals to roast. The roasted locusts are ground on a grinding stone to a fine powder. This powder can be kept for long periods of time and is taken along on a journey. Dried locusts are also prepared for the winter months. The legs, when dried, are especially relished for their pleasant taste.

Cambodia: take several dozen locust adults, preferably females, slit the abdomen lengthwise and stuff a peanut inside. Then lightly grill the locusts in a wok or hot frying pan, adding a little oil and salt to taste. Be careful not to overcook or burn them.

Barbecue (grilled): prepare the embers or charcoal. Place about one dozen locusts on a skewer, stabbing each through the centre of the abdomen. If you only want to eat the abdomen, then you may want to take off the legs or wings either before or after cooking. Several skewers of locusts may be required for each person. Place the skewers above the hot embers and grill while turning continuously to avoid burning the locusts until they become golden brown.

I assume these recipes will work, although they're for Locusts.

Honey Roast i've had and was nice....but i havent found the recipe yet

Edit:

A couple more

Parcht Locusts
    This dish was discovered by William Dampier in 1687, while visiting the Bashee Islands (located between the Philippines and Taiwan). He described it in A New Voyage Round the World:

They had another Dish made of a sort of Locusts, whose Bodies were about an Inch and an half long, and as thick as the top of one's little Finger; with large thin Wings, and long and small Legs. ... The Natives would go out with small Nets, and take a Quart at one sweep. When they had enough, they would carry them home, and parch them over the Fire in an earthen Pan; and then their Wings and Legs would fall off, and their Heads and Backs would turn red like boil'd Shrimps, being before brownish. Their Bodies being full, would eat very moist, their Heads would crackle in one's Teeth. I did once eat of this Dish, and liked it well enough....

That part about the crispy heads sounds particularly appetizing, doesn't it?

Locust Stew
    Here's another locust recipe, this one developed by American pioneers. It's quoted from Calvin W. Schwabe's Unmentionable Cuisine (University Press of Virginia, 1979).

Locusts and grasshoppers are prepared for cooking by removing the wings, the small legs, and the distal portion of the hind legs. Then pull off the head, withdrawing any attached viscera.
    Boil prepared Rocky Mountain locusts in salted water. Add assorted cut-up vegetables, butter, salt, and vinegar to the broth and cook until the vegetables are tender. Serve as a thick soup or over boiled rice as a main dish.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. Lounge   -   #26
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Help is on the way FC

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Soft-Shelled Cicadas

The indredients are:
    60 Freshly emerged 17 year Cicadas 3 cup Flour Salt and pepper to season Flour 4 Eggs, beaten 1 cup Corn oil or slightly salted Butter
    The recipe yield is:
    4 Servings

Info:
    The seventeen year cicada is considered a delicacy by nearly every living creature and when emerging, by the millions, stuff every animal for miles. Birds have trouble getting off the ground. Foxes waddle. Garter snakes are lumpy. Dogs and cats curl up and sleep all day. In former times, the Native Americans found them to be a worthy addition to their diets when available. The cicadas emerge at night and hang like snow white Christmas ornaments from the trees. As they dry, their color darkens to a black with orange decorative stripes. They are at their finest at night when they just emerge and are still soft. They make great campfire cooking fare. For those who are interested, they are kosher! The best way to prepare them is to dip them, still alive, in beaten egg, roll them in the seasoned flour and then gently saute them until they are golden brown. They have a wonderful rich nutty flavor. Preparing them is simplicity itself. To find a supply of cicadas, call or write a local college or university department of entomology. They can supply information as to which brood will be emerging in your area or near your area. They may be able to supply a general map and even specific dates when the emergence will occur. Here, in Indiana, we will have to wait until about Memorial Day weekend, 2002 A.D. So you see, this is not a treat that you can just go out and pick up at Krogers. It is worth the wait, even if it is just to say that you have done it! John Hartman Indianapolis, IN 1996

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Mathea's Avatar The Blonde Alibi BT Rep: +5
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@19 May 2004 - 18:27
    Honey Roast i've had and was nice....but i havent found the recipe yet

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x

I go back to my #1 fear listed in the other thread:

1. learning certain things about other members

9. Lounge   -   #29

Or you could have a Kebab with your Colt45