Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad Thing To Hear

JONNO_CELEBS's Avatar Densly Loadan BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Originally posted by Guitar-Slinger@20 June 2004 - 15:21

They have bumber stickers:

"Me like football"
    Unga bunga

Jonno B)
    Thinking about 1
    My Place & Arcade

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by Skweeky@20 June 2004 - 16:02
    Reminds me of the tirade I heard when Celtic got kicked out of whatever it was a while ago
    What did Celtic get thrown out of old bean, you have me at a disadvantage.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Erm, Champions League or something? You know...one of those things...

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by Skweeky@20 June 2004 - 17:09
    Erm, Champions League or something? You know...one of those things...
    No, we didn't get thrown out mate, we got beaten. That's different.

The Celtic fans were given an award for being the best in the world.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    WTF is this - "Three scots and a southerner"?

It may be a little sad, but what do you expect - A vast part of England do not trust the government, people are half-and-half about reality TV and there's very few good things that remain special forever and that everyone can unite to. Sport is one of them, as it remains relatively simpler and less spoilt than the rest of British society.

A lot of people get behind the football because of many reasons. It's true that only a relative handful of England do it for the football. One reason is that it's one of the few times when a country can declare their patriotism without political correctness allowing at least one do-gooder racial equality council telling us we can't do it. Some do it for the same reason they do it for the Olympic and the same reason a lot did it during the D-Day celebrations - These events don't happen every day, and when they do we have the opportunity to show our national unity & pride. Others remember how we won the World Cup in 1966 and hope for another golden age.

The ones who were kicking stones, cursing to themselves, they aren't really that bad - They don't hurt anyone physically or verbally so what's wrong with them being frustrated that their team essentially screwed up? I will admit to being more than a little pissed the night of the England-France game - Mostly because England gave France the win in the last ten minutes, a great deal because in about three of the four forums I frequent the Scots started their own versions of "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah" posts within ten minutes of the final whistle (And some people wonder why the grudge between the Scots & the English during international football events ). I won't repeat my responses to them, but let's just say I asked each of the forum admins to suspend my posting rights for 48 hours each as a precaution.

The football means a lot to some people for the reasons - Don't confuse them as being the ones who cause the violence regardless of the score. A lot of the newspaper investigations before Euro 2004 showed that there would be rioting anyway - They don't deserve to fly the flag. The ones who go to the tournaments, hoping that their team take on the other nations and beat them (luckily the only way it can be done in real life without going to war ) and feel pain when their team fail, relief when they stop the opposition and euphoria when they get a goal in - They're the true fans.

As for the Renault cars, well it's all about compromise - Is a little French-cursing for a few days worth shelling out a few thousand for another car? Not many people will be able to afford another and so will do what they can rather what they want to do

It's like what was said about the Mastercard advert - England United: Priceless We barely have the chance to do it other than every two years, so at least give us this chance when we can do it without being called a racist or nationalist

And at least we got into the European championships in the first place

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Spoiler: Show

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12