Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Social Security question.

spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    what if markets crash ?

you think?

awww, vid's all gloom.

don't be a negative nancy.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    The rosy dollar scenario has fewer adherents in academia. In a revised paper released this week, Nouriel Roubini of New York University and Brad Setser of Oxford argued that if the status quo persists, the amount of debt that the U.S. owes to outsiders could reach 28% of the size of the economy's GDP by the end of 2004 and 50% by 2008.
    In less polite terms it is known as being bankrupt.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Well, if they do 'owe' I guess they just won't pay...who is gonna make em?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    They may not have any choice. The free-market economy will turn against them, simply by its very nature.

It happened in the UK, the government had to borrow money from the world bank in order to meet its obligations. In return they had to meet the demands of the world bank and stop overspending. This resulted in the so-called "Winter of Discontent". The government was voted out of office, yet the following Thatcher government got the blame for clearing up the mess they had been saddled with.

Ask yourself what you do if you've got plenty of spare money, as you should have if your economy is strong. Do you borrow more, or repay what you already owe? If you need to borrow, either you haven't got the strong economy you claim to have, or you are just plain crackers.

Americans, don't be too downhearted, you aren't alone. Unfortunately Gordon Brown seems to have the same crazy mindset.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningfreemanny
    awww, vid's all gloom.

don't be a negative nancy.
    Well i'm sorry manny but sometimes we have to look at reality. It has nothing to do with gloom...i will not appologise for being a rational thinker.... Life has taught me that there is no such thing as a "sure thing"....... An example can be seen in the UK with people that had an endowment policy for their morgage.

even if we have a booming economy at the moment...the question was what happens if it collaspes? .... even you must admit that happens..... right????

what happens to private pension funds when the markets slip?...stocks go down as well as up...you do realise that?.......

You suggest we have a strong economy...but do we ? the $ is weak which makes our foriegn debt larger... we are spending more than we take in tax...so where does the "top up" come from ?

At the moment we are paying off one credit card with another.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Strangelove's Avatar I Need Sex
    And the only way is up for the interest rates on that credit card

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12