Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Condoleeza Rice

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quite right about the Aunt Jemima comment; though I have heard this used by uncharitable types who make similar remarks about the like of Clarence Thomas or Colin Powell or Rod Page.

I don't think I made any claim to have seen it recounted in this thread, and merely meant to point out how so-called "pundits" can get away with such things constantly and never be called on them.

The "minion" comment is here, though, and carries it's own offense.

I am glad that the members of this board don't make off-hand racial references as a habit, but wonder at times that they habitually overlook those who do.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

I am glad that the members of this board don't make off-hand racial references as a habit, but wonder at times that they habitually overlook those who do.
    It's often a case of not overlooking but instead not taking the bait of the idiots that make them.

besides if one does hobbes accuses them of being "carebears"

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    It's often a case of not overlooking but instead not taking the bait of the idiots that make them.

besides if one does hobbes accuses them of being "carebears"
    Hobbes is insensitive that way.

As to the other, it occurs to me that those who reject the untoward commentaries of the unreconstructed punditry might do well do reject
    all of the rest of their mutterings, too.

I see a certain degree of selectivity evidenced by those who favor the "cut-and-paste" method.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I see a certain degree of selectivity evidenced by those who favor the "cut-and-paste" method.
    such as the rantings of a mr. sohbram?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    such as the rantings of a mr. sohbram?
    Not quite.

I quote Mr. Sobran's opinions with full attribution, and only as opinions I find interesting and well-presented.

I do not reproduce his columns as anything else; certainly not as "evidence", as others do.

I assume you see the difference?

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Colin Powel was OK, he was doing what he was told but everyone could see he didnt like it.

I felt sorry for him when he gave that speech to the UN.. you could tell even he didnt believe what he was trying to convince everyone about.

Its the other lot we object to, and always have... unfortunatly Ms Rice is one of those others that are in the same grouping as the ones we object to.

Race has absolutely nothing to do with anything, neither has her sex.

If she was not a warmonger and power industry mongul i'd welcome the step forward on both those fronts, it's long overdue.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Nicely put RF...

You boys....get back on topic now please......

The views posted here are varied but are pretty much the spread I expected. I suppose it will just have to be another one of those 'wait and see' occasions. I don hope she does the 'right' thing as best she can. If not, I will only remember my original disquiet.

Here's to be proven wrong on the empathy....all else will come from there.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    Here's to be proven wrong on the empathy
    The State Department should not be looked upon as the signal repository of U.S. "empathy", Sara.

Empathy is perhaps the wrong term; material aid, and the comfort provided thereby, certainly, but foreign policy shouldn't be informed first by a stance of "empathy"-rather, any "empathy" forthcoming should be a by-product of underlying policy.

Empathy is a word that has been robbed of much of it's meaning by the long-standing but regrettful bent towards doing anything, anything at all, to create the impression of compassionate beneficience as it applies to American foreign policy, but with (it must be admitted) less concern for results than for appearances.

Foreign policy extant has been structured for maximum impact in the arena of international opinion, rather than effect on the ground; it is time this changed, and this need is clarified and amplified by the situation in the U.N., whose personnel dispatched to Indonesia were concerned first and foremost with securing comfy accomodations before availing themselves to the task at hand.
    Last edited by j2k4; 01-26-2005 at 01:09 AM.

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12