Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking To Overclock

Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Well your card may be a 4x card. Also have you messed with the FSB or just the mutliplier, because the multiplier can make the frequency jump quicker, and have you stepped up the v-core, and what are the temps?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman3
    Well your card may be a 4x card. Also have you messed with the FSB or just the mutliplier, because the multiplier can make the frequency jump quicker, and have you stepped up the v-core, and what are the temps?
    well i've been looking around and my card apparently supports 8x so not sure why it's not working

if i reset my mobo (i.e take battery out) the FSB is set at 100MHz, but this is weird because my amd 3200 would only run at 1GHz. It should be set at it's proper 200MHz setting but thankfully I only need to change it when my battery goes which I did the other day (as i found out about the fsb thing).

sthe multiplier was moved from 10.5 to 11.0 with no problems. 11.5 caused my system to crash so i moved it back to 11.0. have touched the v-core yet. i'm beginning to think i can't go too far with this... i just noticed my PSU is 360W this pc was top of the range 2 years ago *sniff*

think i might just be happy with the 100MHz increase for now. if i start increasing voltage and what not by going down that route, i could end up frying my system... and that's the last thing i could need right now.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    If your careful and move slowly your not gonnna fry your system, just make sure you have temperature fail safes set in the bios.

Yeah I know about the fsb thing, I have an AMD2500+ and when I reset the CMOS or something it always sets the FSB to 100, thats just the default so if you don't have a higher end chip you won't have problems from the begining. So I just set the FSB to 200, and I have a 3200+, the FSB is 150 stock I believe. I think you can still move the FSB up though, point by point. One of the things that allows more screwing around with in my BIOS is the user settings, default is beginner and you can't really fuck with the settings, just round numbers for common processors and what not, but if you set it to expert or advanced you can change a lot of the greyed out areas.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You might try lowering the multiplier (preferably not to a .5 step) and raising the FSB instead.
    Run some benchmarks before and after and see which works the best.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    No, raise the fsb and multiplier, and the vcore!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman3
    No, raise the fsb and multiplier, and the vcore!
    Why?
    In what order?

Don't forget that the whole point of this exercise is to make your PC run better, not just faster and hotter.
    There is a definite sweet spot where good performance,stability and temperature intersect, beyond which you are only "sport clocking"...i.e. going for numbers.
    Few (very few) of the extreme OCs that you read about represent functional day-to-day settings- they are stripped to the bone and right on the edge of BSOD.
    Furthermore, like racing, once you decide to participate you'd better be willing to kiss the hardware goodbye cause sh*t does happen and your shiny pride and joy can turn to toast before you know it.

There are several tweaks that can be done to Windows itself that will make more noticable differences to your real world PC usage than the extra 50MHz will.
    Maybe that would be a more fruitful path to begin on.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    Question is, where did he get an unlocked Athlon this late in the game?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Question is, where did he get an unlocked Athlon this late in the game?
    New? I don't know.
    There are tons of used ( "preowned"?) ones on forums as folks move into 64bit platforms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12