Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If The Us Was To Be A Bastard...

Originally posted by clocker@24 April 2003 - 21:23
    nobody appears upset that for the past 10 years the French have been buying up every drop of "embargoed" Iraqi oil they could get onto a tanker.
    How come we're the bad guys here?
    clocker, could you clarify? you mean france was buying oil against un resolutions? as far as i know, the US has been buying oil from iraq since about '98 (?)

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@24 April 2003 - 14:52

clocker, could you clarify? you mean france was buying oil against un resolutions? as far as i know, the US has been buying oil from iraq since about '98 (?)
    France has been Iraq's coziest trading partner for years and has signed contracts with SH which would have given France a stranglehold over Iraqi oil exports when UN sanctions were lifted. French companies (TotalFinaElf) have been hard at work in Iraq for the past decade- they just brought the world's largest natural gas field online this year.Those pictures you've no doubt seen of endless miles of tanker trucks leaving Iraq, that oil was being sold in violation of UN sanction. WE knew it, EVERYBODY knew it. And the French were buying a large portion of it.
    No wonder they opposed the war- they were profiting mightily, and stood to increase that, by just maintaining the status quo.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Originally posted by clocker@24 April 2003 - 22:21
    Those pictures you've no doubt seen of endless miles of tanker trucks leaving Iraq, that oil was being sold in violation of UN sanction. WE knew it, EVERYBODY knew it. And the French were buying a large portion of it.
    No wonder they opposed the war- they were profiting mightily, and stood to increase that, by just maintaining the status quo.
    so, are you saying that the french violated sanctions that the US didn't? No doubt that France was pursuing their oil interests there, but I'm just not certain that they are guilty of violations that differ in kind, rather than degree, from those of the US (if they are, in fact, bona fide violations).

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    PETROL NOT GAS!

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    I heard a very interest detail about Iraqi oil sales

there is more US currency outside of the USA than inside of it
    it is, as we well know the primary international exchange currency
    this is both good and bad for the USA it allows the US to have the whole world wanting to deal with the USA in order to gain US$ to buy oil with.
    Iraq began to sell its oil in Euros [to France, Germany and Russia mainly] this suited everyone except the US
    basically the US econony is so dependent upon oil both as fuel and as the driving reason for other nations to trade for US$ so if the world stopped needing US$ the hegemony would crumble,
    the LA riots would look like a friendly PTA rally compared to the chaos which would reign if the USA suffered hyperinflation
    US inflation is artificialy slight due to the majoraty of dollars being outsside the US economy
    so i bet the bushes didn't want the euro trend to take off

and also why europe wanted the euro trend to take off buying in your own currency is always easier

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Poster
    Why are you so anti american?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Which part of America is he anti?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    No Coment, i've made my position clear enough.
    ShockAndAwe^i^, the other hawks, pragmatists and hardheads have dealt with it
    [am i scarring you, making you doubt your allegiances?]
    think of me like castro, irritating, but mostly harmless, and not going away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12