PDA

View Full Version : Vista's speedup trick leaked to xp :)

99shassan
08-09-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm not sure if this has been posted before but here goes:

Longhorn's most useful feature "leaked "as XP tweak

According to the article,--->Externer Link

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1838263,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535 the Voles in the

Redmond Vole Hill will deliver some astounding features.

Those include the ability to launch apps 15% faster than Windows XP, boot PCs 50% faster, patch systems

with 50% fewer reboots, and let firms migrate to Longhorn 75% per cent faster.

The only reason why its faster is they added a superfetch feature to the prefetcher. If you look at the

key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\SessionManager\Memory Management\Prefetcher

you will notice in windows xp;
EnablePrefetcher = 3
and you will notice in windows longhorn;
EnableSuperfetch = 1

Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed.

Wow, Microsoft just added a feature that was already there in xp.

From what I have been reading the tweak is designed for at least Windows XP SP2.

So maybe someone who has SP2 installed can see if improves anything.

Zitat:
One of the many claims Microsoft makes for Windows Longhorn is that it wil launch applications 15%

faster than Windows XP does currently. This is down to improvements in the Prefetch functionality.

There's no need to wait until Longhorn arrives; this improvement is already in Windows XP thanks to

Service Pack 2. It just needs to be turned on.

To enable super prefetch:

* Use a registry editing tool (run>regedit) to navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory

Management\PrefetchParameters
* Insert a value with the following details:

Data Type: DWORD
Value Name: EnableSuperfetch
Value: 1

You will need to turn off the EnablePrefetch already in Windows XP

EnablePretech=0

* Reboot your computer for the changes to take effect

pleas back up the registry entry first before you do it.

I found this on demonoid.com forums, it seems from the replies it does work. However, I cannot test it as i have win2k.

tesco
08-09-2005, 11:25 PM
That's complete BS.

Do you honestly think that one little registry tweak makes up all of the speedup you get in vista?

4play
08-09-2005, 11:36 PM
this is fake from what i have read.

Santa
08-09-2005, 11:38 PM
agreed that is bs - that is an old xp tweak

do a search on "xp prefetch tweak" and youll understand
on the other hand if that is the main difference with vista then microsoft needs to fire some people
this was my "superpost" instead of my "post" 0/1/2/3

99shassan
08-10-2005, 12:19 AM
That's complete BS.

Do you honestly think that one little registry tweak makes up all of the speedup you get in vista?

ok jeez :ph34r:

Has anyone tried it? a few people on demonoid.com says it has speeded up.

99shassan
08-10-2005, 10:00 PM
I've had two friends try it on fasttracker and they say they've noticed a speedup.

asmithz
08-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Yup its fake, just did it, and it made things slower really.

Guyver
08-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Yup its fake, just did it, and it made things slower really.

id try it but im still on sp1 lol

99shassan
08-10-2005, 11:41 PM
i don't know then, spd and dwells on ft said it has increased the speed of their startup, guyver can confirm as he is also a memeber of ft. maybe it works on different pcs.

DarthInsinuate
08-10-2005, 11:44 PM
place-bo effect?

99shassan
08-10-2005, 11:53 PM
i dunno, like i said, i havn't tested it, but i have two friends who say that it does work, and someone here saying it doesn't.

tesco
08-11-2005, 12:43 AM
I think maybe it's just a placebo like darth said...

I did try it first time it was posted (some thread in news section), comp is same as ever. :lookaroun

mnfesq
08-11-2005, 02:28 PM
The way prefetch works, there has to be something there to fetch. So the increased speed, if any, will not be noticeable at first. For example, in my word processing program, once I made the tweak, I lost the history of documents I had recently opened with that program. But, by the third time I rebooted and opened my usual programs, I did notice increased speed. BTW, I did this on my PIII, 512 mb PC133, laptop, and with that hardware, its a lot easier to notice an increase in speed due to a software tweak. I will have to keep working with this to see if the increase was due to the superprefetch or just from clearing out a lot of garbage that was being fetched previously.