PDA

View Full Version : Regulating image sizes

Skiz
08-13-2005, 12:45 AM
There should be a maximum size limit to pics that are posted. It's annoying as heck to have to scroll over to see a pic. Example: Desktop thread. If you can't make a thumbnail, at least post an 800x600 or something.

This should be FST law. :snooty:

DarthInsinuate
08-13-2005, 12:50 AM
a guideline would be nice

but anyone who brings back the image resizing script thingie shall be known as arseface

tesco
08-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Oh noes not this again :frusty:

Peerzy
08-13-2005, 12:57 AM
There should be a maximum size limit to pics that are posted. It's annoying as heck to have to scroll over to see a pic. Example: Desktop thread. If you can't make a thumbnail, at least post an 800x600 or something.

This should be FST law. :snooty:

Don't go into the destop thread then. It's like going into a High Quality Video thread that says 2mb+ Broadband Users Only and only having 14.4kb's modem.

Skiz
08-13-2005, 02:25 AM

Did I just awaken a hated beast or somethin? :unsure:

I just thought it would be a good courtesy rule or something. Like put a mod post in threads like that that states a couple of simple rules for that particular thread.

If not, whatever. :snooty:

BawA
08-13-2005, 02:37 AM
we had image resizing addon on IPB when 7th was admin, it resized a pic to tumpnails(like image shack) if its more then the limit.

Rick Phlegm
08-13-2005, 02:52 AM
Don't see any reason to ban them.

If they bother you that much then is it possible to automatically encase them in spoiler tags if they're too big?

tesco
08-13-2005, 03:01 AM

If they bother you that much then is it possible to automatically encase them in spoiler tags if they're too big?
Was thinking that, but then it might get annoying like the image resier script we had :frusty:

Of course now it could easily be removed as the person installing will still be here.. :P

Rick Phlegm
08-13-2005, 03:08 AM

Was thinking that, but then it might get annoying like the image resier script we had :frusty:

Of course now it could easily be removed as the person installing will still be here.. :P
Would it be possible to have it as a setting in the user profile so that only those who wanted the images restricted would be affected?

tesco
08-13-2005, 03:12 AM

Would it be possible to have it as a setting in the user profile so that only those who wanted the images restricted would be affected?
Yup that's easy to do. :)

Might want to wait for some more people's opinions on this tho.

RealitY
08-13-2005, 06:39 AM

Indeed I have very annoying memories of this era also. Having a user profile set to spoiler tags is a bit silly as those who have it would most likely be prone to look anyway. Although a user profile option to incase larger pictures as thubnails would be ok of course setting default to off...

manker
08-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Indeed I have very annoying memories of this era also. Having a user profile set to spoiler tags is a bit silly as those who have it would most likely be prone to look anyway. Although a user profile option to incase larger pictures as thubnails would be ok of course setting default to off...:blink:

I don't understand a word of that.

===

I often get annoyed by pics that throw out my margins and end up adblocking them.

Rick's idea of automatically encasing images of dimensions larger than, say 900 pixels wide with spoiler tage is an excellent idea. The option to turn this off in profile is the icing on the cake.

Bawa's tumpoline idea might be good too. He may well mean the same as RealitY for all I know :unsure:

This spoiler tag idea get's my vote http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/01a.gif

RealitY
08-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Rick's idea of automatically encasing images of dimensions larger than, say 900 pixels wide with spoiler tage is an excellent idea. The option to turn this off in profile is the icing on the cake.
I dont see the point of the spoiler tags though as it hides the image. It would seem more piratical to make them into thumbnails since that cures the issue of distorting the thread. As youve mentioned havi this option the User CP is the icing on the cake so that members can choose what they want...

manker
08-13-2005, 10:25 AM
I dont see the point of the spoiler tags though as it hides the image. It would seem more piratical to make them into thumbnails since that cures the issue of distorting the thread. As youve mentioned havi this option the User CP is the icing on the cake so that members can choose what they want...
Gotcha :D

Sure, that idea works for me too.

Guillaume
08-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Erm. Instead of using all this technical mumbo-jumbo and modify user profile and whatnot, why not use the dictatorial option and make it a rule to have pics no larger than a set size, like Skizo said.

How hard is it to resize a pic before posting it?
Even the people who post in the desktop thread are able to do it. I think. :unsure:

manker
08-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Erm. Instead of using all this technical mumbo-jumbo and modify user profile and whatnot, why not use the dictatorial option and make it a rule to have pics no larger than a set size, like Skizo said.

Evcen the people who post in the desktop thread are able to do it. I think. :unsure:That would be too much work for teh mods, especially lazy ones like edited by {I}{K}{E}

It would prolly be better if it was automated. That way geptards in the desktop thread can't annoy me, even if they want to.

RealitY
08-13-2005, 10:32 AM

Evcen the people who post in the desktop thread are able to do it. I think. :unsure:
I think because we went that path once before and it didnt work out well.
If you cant make everyone happy around here than you should probably just hide...

:lol: :lol:

Virtualbody1234
08-13-2005, 01:08 PM
The optional selection if having thumbnails on sounds great to me.

Santa
08-13-2005, 01:52 PM
the last :hate: "image resize" mffunction was set at 500pxl please not so small

at 800pxl - 900pxl much better

awaiting a "need anti-spam function" thread?

tesco
08-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Maybe in teh user profile option you choose your resolution and that determines how big before the thumbnail kicks in?
Along with option for no thumbnail of course.

Virtualbody1234
08-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Maybe in teh user profile option you choose your resolution and that determines how big before the thumbnail kicks in?
Excellent!

RealitY
08-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Your so user friendly...

:blushing: :blushing:

tesco
08-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Your so user friendly...

:blushing: :blushing:
people were saying to change it at 900px but that's just not nice for peoiple with 800*600 which is why teh original changed it at 500px or something like that.

brotherdoobie
08-14-2005, 05:15 AM
Excellent!

I like the idea...

Peace bd

muchspl3
08-14-2005, 05:55 AM
just read the first post and all I can say is wahhhh

deal with it, maybe try a higher resolution that 800x600 :lol:

muchspl3
08-14-2005, 05:56 AM
best post of the thread

Skiz
08-14-2005, 08:45 AM

Wahhh?? I use 1280x1024 thank you, and posts like this (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1103176&postcount=332) are just too damn big. It isn't necessary to post huge pics like this. It's just annoying.

brotherdoobie
08-14-2005, 07:01 PM

Wahhh?? I use 1280x1024 thank you, and posts like this (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1103176&postcount=332) are just too damn big. It isn't necessary to post huge pics like this. It's just annoying.

Penis envy...

Peace bd :naughty:

tesco
08-15-2005, 03:13 AM
Well it's being discussed in team chat now as long as everyone agrees I will be making this tomorrow or the next day...

Gripper
08-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Yep like the resizing option to thumbnails,gotta have it as an option in user cp

tesco
08-15-2005, 08:22 PM
OK I installed it and i bet it's kinda buggy so i made the option's title say BETA.
You can try it by going into your user cp -> clicking Edit Options -> Finding the image resizer option under thread viewing option and set your resolution in the dropdown box.

The image resizer makes pages with a lot of images load slowly atm while enabled, but i'm looking into ways to make it faster...

Santa
08-15-2005, 09:14 PM
i can't seem to upload images
(image resize is desabled in my options

can you see this image (500pxl wide)
http://www.rental-car-in-new-zealand.com/nzpic4.jpg

because i cant and its super slow

tesco
08-15-2005, 09:21 PM
i can't seem to upload images
(image resize is desabled in my options

can you see this image (500pxl wide)
http://www.rental-car-in-new-zealand.com/nzpic4.jpg

because i cant and its super slow
I can see it. :huh:

edit: and it's only 267px wide...

Santa
08-15-2005, 09:22 PM
ok thanks it must be me sorry

tesco
08-15-2005, 09:23 PM
ok thanks it must be me sorry
can you see other images?

Santa
08-15-2005, 09:29 PM
yes i can see other images but not the the ones i recently tried to upload (after the "change"

i cant see this
http://www.learningwithtoys.com/images2/778%20Melissa%20And%20Doug%20Lights%20Camera%20Interaction%20Mighty%20Bldr%20Jet%20Plane.jpg

ill try one of my other acount which doesnt have % in it

Santa
08-15-2005, 09:33 PM
zeds account has the same problem
this is the first time ive seen this - i cleaned my cache/rebooted have not upgraded /installed anything since i last posted an image here
wtf?
of to sftwr world i go?

RealitY
08-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Seems to be working ok now thougha tad slow as metioned perhaps...

sparsely
08-15-2005, 09:40 PM
just edit your userContent.css to give images a max-width & max-height property if iimage sizes bothers you.
Then you get to customize the size to fit your display. :rolleyes:

edit: added condescending smiley

Santa
08-15-2005, 09:48 PM
i tried the usual uploading of images on other forums and it works normally
i can't see pictures which i have uploaded my self
after the "resize" change.....

try something - post one of the images i posted earlier (plane/volcanoe) to see if i can see it ....
if i can i dont get this - i can see them on google etc ....:blink: :cry:

and yes when you post it is slower

sparsely
08-15-2005, 09:53 PM
just edit your userContent.css to give images a max-width & max-height property if iimage sizes bothers you.

posting seems quite slow in general...

tesco
08-15-2005, 09:57 PM
http://www.learningwithtoys.com/images2/778%20Melissa%20And%20Doug%20Lights%20Camera%20Interaction%20Mighty%20Bldr%20Jet%20Plane.jpg

edit: and posting is fast for me btw. :huh:

brotherdoobie
08-15-2005, 10:17 PM

posting seems quite slow in general...

I've been on the forum since 7:00 am and posting has been slow all day.

Peace bd :cry:

sparsely
08-15-2005, 10:22 PM
example:
http://www.r4nd.org/dork/dork.jpg

umm...is the img tag not working at all? :\

Santa
08-15-2005, 10:35 PM
did you just post an image?
i dont see nada

tesco
08-15-2005, 10:36 PM
AM I the only one who does see images. :blink:

brotherdoobie
08-15-2005, 10:52 PM
I can't see any pics...either (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/brotherdoobie/eyes.jpg)

Peace bdhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/brotherdoobie/eyes.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/brotherdoobie/eyes.jpg)

Guillaume
08-15-2005, 11:08 PM
AM I the only one who does see images. :blink:

Yes you are. Looks like that resize function has backfired, mr admin-man. :lookaroun

tesco
08-16-2005, 12:00 AM
OK fine i removed the image resizer, I don't really think it's worth all the trouble and slowdowns it's causing.

edit: Let's try a new idea, use common curtesy and when you post an image use a "[hide ]" tag. :)

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/icons/icon10.gif

sparsely
08-16-2005, 03:14 PM
that hide tag didn't work.

Virtualbody1234
08-16-2005, 04:17 PM
that hide tag didn't work.
It works but the page jumps to the top for some reason.

:blink:

manker
08-16-2005, 04:19 PM
I think I'll stick to adblocking oversized pics - and then using the forum ignore feature on the geptard that posted it :dry:

Virtualbody1234
08-16-2005, 04:26 PM
I seem to have found another problem.

Test. :)

If I use the hide feature and preview my post then the preview and submit buttons become non functional afterwards.

The only way to post is to then copy my text and restart with a new post.

tesco
08-16-2005, 04:36 PM
I seem to have found another problem.

Test. :)

If I use the hide feature and preview my post then the preview and submit buttons become non functional afterwards.

The only way to post is to then copy my text and restart with a new post.
i think i fixed that problem. :unsure:

It was also in the spoiler tag, fixed that too.

shouldn't be taking you to the top tho. :unsure:

manker
08-16-2005, 05:06 PM
It takes me to the top and I don't see the images when I scroll back down.

manker
08-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Btw, Chromo skin and Firefox 1.0.4.

tesco
08-16-2005, 05:30 PM
hmm yes i see it does that in chromo. :huh:

edit: how is it now? :unsure:

sparsely
08-16-2005, 05:47 PM
fine.

manker
08-16-2005, 05:49 PM