PDA

View Full Version : bittorrent causing router to drop connection

stargatefan
08-13-2005, 09:19 PM
It seems that bittorrent is causing my router to drop connection and I'm forced to keep resetting the router. I use roadrunner... could this be the ISP or is it the router. If so is there any way to keep the router from losing connection while I'm using bittorrent?

RPerry
08-13-2005, 10:43 PM
are you using the default port ? if so, change ports, most private trackers block these ports anyway.

dodgy368
08-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Try updating the drivers for your router.

lynx
08-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Some routers simply can't handle the number of connections needed to support bittorrent (and often filesharing in general). Look for updated firmware for your router.

If you say what model it is someone may have seen the same problem and possibly have a fix for it.

stargatefan
08-16-2005, 02:53 AM
netgear CG814WG is the model

I looked into firmware upgrade (there is none) and looked to change settings (nothing worked)

orcutt989
08-19-2005, 03:37 AM
It isnt his router. I also use Road Runner(directly into my computer, no router), and when I first started using Bittorrent, it would drop the connection , I also had friends that this happened to. I just keep unplugging it, and plugging it back in to reset it, after a while it just stopped doing that. My friends did the same.

DeathNACan
02-06-2007, 02:35 PM
netgear CG814WG is the model

I looked into firmware upgrade (there is none) and looked to change settings (nothing worked)

The CG814WG is a Cable Modem/Router and the firmware can only be upgraded by the ISP.

In most cases, if your router and or cable modem locks up when running a filesharing program it is a problem with too many connections or exceeding the maximum number of connections the devices can support. This can usually be solved by reconfiguring the file sharing program to accept fewer connections (I find 184 works well).

If the problem is NOT with the cable modem and is with the router, then you could buy a router (or upgrade the firmware when available) to one that does not have the "Max Connections" problem.

You can google and find a list of routers that have the problem and know what not to buy. Hope this helps.

kopy
02-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Are your NAT settings ok?

damned123
02-07-2007, 01:21 AM
my advise is to get rid of router they suck

damned123
02-07-2007, 01:21 AM
hook up direct no prob

damned123
02-07-2007, 01:22 AM
routers don't equal the bandwidth

NA_Magus
02-07-2007, 01:41 AM
It isnt his router. I also use Road Runner(directly into my computer, no router), and when I first started using Bittorrent, it would drop the connection , I also had friends that this happened to. I just keep unplugging it, and plugging it back in to reset it, after a while it just stopped doing that. My friends did the same.

I also have Road Runner and my connection drops everymorning or night.Everyday everyother week I have to unplug my modem and my router to get it back. It's really annoying to find out I wasn't seeding overnight or during the day since I usually get back home late :|.

Rollin84
02-07-2007, 03:07 AM
change your settings in your torrent app. global connects and stuff...

invitestor
02-12-2007, 05:36 PM
dlink 4300 is a good router that can handle many simultaneous connections.