PDA

View Full Version : Linux

4play
04-12-2003, 10:19 PM
I have just installed the latest offering from red hat and im very impressed.

It did take a while about 45 mins but I basically got a system that is completly configured including all hardware, network and internet access.

I have found linux to be a real pain for modems and other hardware in the past but It seems that it is getting better.

The bluecurve desktop is very clean and wonderfully designed.

I was also amazed at the update process, before i even got to see a desktop i was prompted to install all the latest versions of the software I picked to install. :o

Go get it now for the bargain price of Nothing. I cant believe this product is completly free.

linuxiso (http://www.linuxiso.org)

Respect going out to all the people who have put there time, effort and skills to good use. :D

This is highly recommended for first time linux users.

NightCrawler
04-13-2003, 12:56 AM
im not familiar with linux which do you thinik is the better one :D :D

Wolfmight
04-13-2003, 04:08 AM
i used virtual pc to install redhat. It's nice

NightCrawler
04-13-2003, 09:16 AM
what are the different versions all about i586 and ppc i dont know much about linux and would like to know more

4play
04-13-2003, 03:49 PM
most operating systems are designed to run under just one type of processor.
Linux has been ported to work on many different cpu's.

your home computer which is a x86 is just one of many. sparc, ppc and alpha are just a few.

you really want the 586 version if you have a new processor.

NightCrawler
04-13-2003, 05:11 PM
well i have a old one its amd athlon 900mhz what do you reccomend i should get :blink:

pyromonkey
04-13-2003, 08:49 PM
i've always wanted to try linux... but don't you need to know all kinds of coding? (thats why i havn't tried it yet!)

hThungerGod
04-13-2003, 09:10 PM
B) actuallly i dont want 2 give dam site ......

pyromonkey
04-13-2003, 09:24 PM
hThungerGod Posted on 13 April 2003 - 22:10
  actuallly i dont want 2 give dam site ......

what's that supposed to mean?

kenl
04-13-2003, 11:17 PM
you dont need to know coding.. you may need to understand it to hav a easy life running any *inux os. since you will need to compile programs to get them to run and things... but the basic "redhat" installation is automated after you choose what you need to be installed. you wouldnt find everything perfectly configured. so you will need to take your time to fiddle around (getting used to). knowing how to code is a PLUS :D ...

cheers

and shhh *dont tell microsoft that *inux runs so much stable and its FREE!!!!!!!!

4play
04-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Coding is not essential with linux. I have never coding anything for it but i have used it to write a few programs in c++ and pascal.

the linux auto update feature will automatically keep you up to date so no need to compile anything.

But i would recommend delving a bit deeping into your system to edit a few configuration files.

Just remember to register at redhat (http://www.redhat.com) for the free updates.

The only bad point with red hat is that have removed mp3 support so you will to download a mp3 codec. but there is so may sites offering the full xmms in rpm format that it will not take 2 mins to find it.

Wizzandabe
04-14-2003, 11:35 AM
i cant install redhat 8.0

JaVnI
04-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Is linux just more complicated. I use winxp. Also are there way more incompatibilities in linux?

valigula
04-16-2003, 06:18 AM
Linux for a user is not much diferent from windoz since you can use a user interface with win, if you like to try you can get the connectix ivirtual pc (this program sinulates a new PC within windoz), and install linux inside, you can get a free trial ,45 days ,here (http://www.connectix.com)

spudlover
04-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by JaVnI@14 April 2003 - 12:32
Is linux just more complicated. I use winxp. Also are there way more incompatibilities in linux?
In short, yes and yes.

pyromonkey
04-18-2003, 01:14 PM
whats the difference between redhat and mandrake?

FinalTheorem
04-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Is there a way to run windows programs in linux? Probably a supid question, but thought I'd ask anyway. :rolleyes:

pyromonkey
04-18-2003, 09:30 PM
if you're running linux, download wine... it can run some windows programs.

also, you can sometimes find linux versions of windows programs

imported_The__One
04-19-2003, 12:17 AM
Linux is the way to go, it may be more complicated then XP, but it's more stable (even tho XP is pretty stable), is practiclly hack-free :P , and it let's u delve into the source code and change things to your liking...but U need to know how to program to do that.....and best of all, LINUX is completely and absolutely FREE!! no money at all, U can have a comp with linux and most of the linux compatible proggs for free :D :D

But then again, most ppl don&#39;t pay for Windows either <_< <_<