PDA

View Full Version : Explain Cricket To Me...

brotherdoobie
08-15-2005, 03:11 PM
I love sports...and I need something to watch during the off-season.
Would somebody explain the game of Cricket to me?

Peace bd

manker
08-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Sure.

It's a complicated game but the basics are easy. I'll make a post about it after this match has finished if no-one beats me to it.

JPaul
08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Sure.

It's a complicated game but the basics are easy. I'll make a post about it after this match has finished if no-one beats me to it.
:lol:

I think you may be alright there, no rush loike.

I'll be interested on how you cover "off-side", I know how it works but find it really difficult to explain, especially to the delicately nurtured.

Barbarossa
08-15-2005, 03:20 PM
The Rules of Cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have got out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

brotherdoobie
08-15-2005, 04:31 PM
The Rules of Cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have got out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

So,you're either in or out...theres no hiding in the closet 'eh?
:wacko:

Peace bd

Barbarossa
08-15-2005, 04:34 PM
So,you're either in or out...theres no hiding in the closet 'eh?
:wacko:

Peace bd

Well as it clearly says..

You can be not out, but if everyone else on your team is out, then you're not in anymore, and you all have to go in. Then when you all come out again, the other team is in, and you have to try and get them all out.

Duh!! :blink:

DarthInsinuate
08-15-2005, 05:04 PM
blokes with bat whacks ball, if they hit someone in the crowd they get 6 runs

Jon L. Obscene
08-15-2005, 05:07 PM
If it rains they declare a draw....English idea so we can garentee we can at least get a draw at home :lol:

Jonno :cool:

DanB
08-15-2005, 05:15 PM
If it rains they stop play. They only call it a draw if, well, if its a draw

brenda
08-16-2005, 05:37 PM
what's the crack when the ball hits the batsman's glove or the handle of the bat?

manker
08-16-2005, 05:52 PM
what's the crack when the ball hits the batsman's glove or the handle of the bat?It's just the noise it makes.

JPaul
08-16-2005, 05:55 PM
The glove is part of the bat, if it's in contact with it.

wrx04
08-16-2005, 05:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

manker
08-16-2005, 06:09 PM
I love sports...and I need something to watch during the off-season.
Would somebody explain the game of Cricket to me?

Peace bdBasic rules for tests - which are internationals between test playing nations:

The game can last up to five days, these five days are split into 3 sessions punctuated with a break for lunch and an interval for a spot of tea - very civillised. These sessions are split up into 30(ish) overs. An over is 6 balls.

The teams each have eleven players.

A coin is tossed and the winner of that can decide whether he wants his team to bet first. If so, two batsmen walk out to the middle and stand at opposite ends of the pitch. The bowlers will then bowl at one of them; trying to hit the wicket behind the batsman or trying to get him to loft a catch to a fielder or hit him on the leg in an effort to make the umpire give the batsman out lbw (leg before wicket).

Batsmen score runs by hitting the ball into space and running between the wickets. Each time this is completed they get one run. Four runs are awarded for hitting the ball to the outer limit of the field (the boundary) - if they hit it over the boundary line without it first bouncing, six runs are awarded. Obviously, the more runs you score, the better it is for your team.

Once the bowling side has bowled ten of the batting team out, their team goes out to bat. Each team gets two turns for their whole side to bat (an innings).

In order to win, though, a team has to bowl the other team out twice. If this doesn't happen by the end of the fifth day, the game is a draw. It doesn't matter if your team has scored more runs than the opposition, you can't win unless you bowl the opposition out twice.

Damn, that got boring quickly :ermm:

sparsely
08-16-2005, 10:02 PM
it is definitely some sort of SEP.

just beware of any large, invisible groups of people saying "foop!" in unison.

be very ware.

JPaul
08-16-2005, 10:58 PM
it is definitely some sort of SEP.

just beware of any large, invisible groups of people saying "foop!" in unison.

be very ware.
DNA

Adster
08-17-2005, 12:52 AM
don't the US have a cricket team??? I'm sure they did in the world cup

bacilly in English

you have 11 players on each side some of these players bat some of them bowl some of them can do both we call those players all rounders...

now bowler bowls his job is to get the batman OUT this is done by bowling the ball to the batman if it hits the stumps its out if it hits the bat in the air caught by a fieldmans its out (think baseball) when you hit the ball you can go for a run between the wickets (wickets called stumps) you know that pitch thing in the middle???? the 2 batman cross it and if say they went for a run and one of the 2 batsman didn't cross the line by the time a fileman hit the stumps with the ball the batter is out.

if you hit the ball to the fence it is a 4 (runs) hit it over the fence a 6 (runs)

once a team has bowled the other team out (got 10 wickets aka 10 people out) its the other turns team to bat... of cause this was decide who bats first by a coin toss at the beginning of the game.

test match's IMO are better they go for 5 days no fielder restrictions each team has 2 innings to bat (just like baseball has 9)

example

England get 400 on there first innings all out
Australia get 450 on their first innings

aust lead by 50

england get 300 on 2nd innings

aust need 250 runs to win the match

one days go for 50 overs (6 ball in a over) in that 50 overs you have to get as many runs as possible then the other team after 50 over (unless there all our by the end of 50) have to chase the runs and get them

there are no balls and wides so sometimes you can have more then 6 balls a over

if the bowlers foot steps over the line or the ball is a wide meaning too far from the batmasn to hit it counts as a run and they have to re bowl it..

in One day cricket their is fielding restriction after 15 overs have been bowled thats when most 4s have been hit

theres a guy behind the stumps people ask about who dont uderstand cricket he is called a wicket keeper (simular to catcher in basball) he ovisouly stops the ball from going to the fence for 4 byes, so in the case a bowler bowls batmans misses the keeper misses it (and it hits the boundry aka JONES :P) its 4 byes which get counted as runs to the bating team

ahhhhh I think it is as easy as baseball to understand

any more questions fire away

maebach
08-17-2005, 05:19 AM
can the batters come as far out as they want? If the batter hits the wickets by accident, is he out?

Barbarossa
08-17-2005, 09:18 AM
can the batters come as far out as they want? If the batter hits the wickets by accident, is he out?

1). Yes but too far would be crazy
2). Yes, .... if at least one of the bails comes off the top of the stumps.

Also, if the batsman is out of his crease (that's the line about a yard in front of the wicket), and the ball is bowled and goes through to the keeper, the batsman can be stumped out, if the keeper takes the bails off with the ball.

(the bails are the two pieces of wood that balance on top of the wickets).

Interestingly, if the ball hits the stumps from a bowl, or the batsman hits the stumps, and in either case the bails remain on the stumps, then it's not out. (To be out bowled, stumped, hit-wicket or run-out, at least one of the bails has to be removed from the top of the stumps)

oh yeah, to clarify, there are 6 ways to get out:

Bowled
Caught
LBW (Leg Before Wicket)
Stumped
Hit Wicket
Run Out

Sometimes the wicket keeper will put his helmet down on the grass behind him, if a spin-bowler is on (they're slower, so you don't need a helmet). In this case, if the ball happens to hit the helmet, that's an automatic 5 run penalty. :01:

I see no-one has attempted to explain LBW yet? :unsure:

Barbarossa
08-17-2005, 09:20 AM
what's the crack when the ball hits the batsman's glove or the handle of the bat?

Sometimes it's the batsman's fingers breaking.. :shutup:

Adster
08-17-2005, 10:28 AM
ohh yeah i didn't explain LBW leg before wicket

The method of dismissal whereby the ball hits a batsman's pads in front of the wickets and which, in the umpire's view, would have dismissed the batsman if it hadn't hit the pads. One of the most controversial dismissals in the game because it relies solely on the judgment of one of the two match officials. While a player can be given out to a ball moving from outside off stump, he cannot be given out from a ball outside leg stump. The dismissal has its origins in 1788 making it one of the longer standing sources of conflict

mean if the ball hits the pad the bowler and fielders can Appeal "hows that" to the umpire what it actually means is welll..... leg before wicket if you were the Batman's and it hit your pad (the pads on your legs) the umpire has to decide wether it would have hit the stumps if he think it would have he will raise his finger and say out.... if he doesn't think it would have hit the stumps then he will say not out (that billy Bouden is teh worst umpire ever with these)

maebach
08-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Thanks alot for explaining. Maybe the Indian team will do well this year :)

brotherdoobie
08-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks Ad and Manker. I am now Ping-Pongs number one fan!

Peace bd