PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Hits 80,000,000 Downloads

RealitY
08-15-2005, 09:23 PM
It's been nine months since the release of Firefox 1.0 and with tens of millions of users we most certainly are taking back the web. Today our Firefox web browser hit the 80,000,000 downloads mark. You can see the live counter over at SpreadFirefox.com

:source: Source: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/14/2223255
:view: View: SpreadFirefox.com (http://spreadfirefox.com)

tesco
08-15-2005, 09:24 PM
That's great :D

Busyman
08-15-2005, 10:01 PM
That is great but it doesn't mean those folks actually use it. :huh:

Hell I downloaded it and still use IE 6.

tesco
08-15-2005, 10:13 PM

of course, and i bet a lot of people have downloaded ff more than once too, including getting it again when they reinstall widnows or upgrading versions.

brotherdoobie
08-15-2005, 10:26 PM

Good point.Why don't you use FF? The tabbed browsing feature
alone is a great reason for using FF. Not to mention the security
and the extensions.(the Stumble extension...is one of the
best reasons to surf the web.)

Peace bd

peat moss
08-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Its funny but was just reading this :

Newly published figures released by web monitoring firm NetApplications show that Microsoft pulled back market share from rival browser users last month.

Microsoft's Internet Explorer was used by 87.2 per cent of website visitors in July, up from 86.56 per cent in June. Firefox, the second most popular browser, saw its share slip slightly from its high point of 8.71 per cent last month to 8.07 per cent in July.

Link : http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2141149/microsoft-bounds-back-browser

suprafreak6
08-16-2005, 02:00 AM
im sure tons of ppl didnt even download it they probly got it from someone else that could add another 500.000 and maybe there are some sites that arent being acounted for

Busyman
08-16-2005, 02:49 AM

Peace bd
I have tabbed browsing in IE....bd.

Security? I've never had a problem.

Many of the FF extensions also exist as small similar programs for IE.

I do like tabbed browsing and I've been using it well before FF was around so it's definitely not reason alone to use FF.

brotherdoobie
08-16-2005, 03:12 AM

Peace bd
I have tabbed browsing in IE....bd.

Security? I've never had a problem.

Many of the FF extensions also exist as small similar programs for IE.

I do like tabbed browsing and I've been using it well before FF was around so it's definitely not reason alone to use FF.

Ahhh...browser shells. Well...to each their own Busy. I was just
curious.

Peace bd

Peerzy
08-16-2005, 05:10 AM
im sure tons of ppl didnt even download it they probly got it from someone else that could add another 500.000 and maybe there are some sites that arent being acounted for

Just wondering where you got the big number of 500 from? Yes five hundred unless ofcourse you ment 500,000. But still, how did you get that figure? Did you just take a shot in the dark.

Also this is a counter of how many people downloaded Firefox, not how many people suprafreak6 thinks gave it to friends.

RealitY
08-16-2005, 07:41 AM
"Between June and July of this year, Firefox lost 0.64% of the users, while Microsoft IE gained the same amount, leaving other browsers at their usual zero point something share. Could recent security problems and lack of stability, reported by some users, lead to the decline of the browser that just passed 80 million downloads?" I think the other thing to remember is that while ~8% seems a lot, there's a still a huge amount of ground to cover -- and a number change like this is statistical noise. I should point out that my issue with noise isn't the absolute numbers; it's the somewhat inadequate measurements tools for this.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/15/1223203

Cheese
08-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Firefox pwns all. Anyone who says they were using tabbed browsing before Firefox came along is a liar.

Hopefully Firefox's market share will grow to a point where the average computer user will realise there are more browsers around than the POS packaged with Windows.

Busyman
08-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Firefox pwns all. Anyone who says they were using tabbed browsing before Firefox came along is a liar.
:lol: :lol:
Ya gotta be shittin' me. :lol: :lol:

FF is a great browser but it was nowhere near first.

Anyone who calls someone a liar about something so CaptainObvious is an idiot swimming Fox nuts.

Cheese
08-16-2005, 01:12 PM

I didn't say it was did I?

Busyman
08-16-2005, 01:15 PM

...and I didn't say you said it.

I think I tried tabbed browsing when you were in middle school (maybe even elementary). :lol: :lol:

Cheese
08-16-2005, 01:23 PM

I think I tried tabbed browsing when you were in middle school (maybe even elementary).

Why are you lying?

But I'll humour you. What browser were you using? When exactly was this?

Busyman
08-16-2005, 01:29 PM
I think I tried tabbed browsing when you were in middle school (maybe even elementary).

Why are you lying?
Oh shit. I just noticed your age. Well I did say "probably" 'cause didn't realize your age. :unsure:

manker
08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
I smell pwnage.

Busyman
08-16-2005, 02:22 PM

Why are you lying?

But I'll humour you. What browser were you using? When exactly was this?
Missed your edit.

Netcaptor and Opera. Later I tried MyIE2.

Busyman
08-16-2005, 02:23 PM
I smell pwnage.
Me too.

Peerzy
08-16-2005, 03:39 PM

Hopefully Firefox's market share will grow to a point where the average computer user will realise there are more browsers around than the POS packaged with Windows.

There is a downside to this. The more people who use it the more hackers and virus writers will attempt to attack Firefox. They only go after IE as it's pretty much what ever body who isn't tech-savy uses. You install Windows and IE is there, you dont think twice about it unless ofcourse you've heard about others. If one day Firefox has say 70% of the market share, it might come a point when IE would be slightly "safer" just because no one is attempting to attack it.

It's the same with linux & MAC, there far safer from attackers, not because they have better secruity, it's because no one will bother attacking a computer market that has about 12 people using it.

BTW I love the smell of freshly pwned Busyman :D

Busyman
08-16-2005, 04:02 PM

There is a downside to this. The more people who use it the more hackers and virus writers will attempt to attack Firefox. They only go after IE as it's pretty much what ever body who isn't tech-savy uses. You install Windows and IE is there, you dont think twice about it unless ofcourse you've heard about others. If one day Firefox has say 70% of the market share, it might come a point when IE would be slightly "safer" just because no one is attempting to attack it.

It's the same with linux & MAC, there far safer from attackers, not because they have better secruity, it's because no one will bother attacking a computer market that has about 12 people using it.

BTW I love the smell of freshly pwned Busyman :D
....and if you all keep saying it, it may one day be true.

Too bad it was CaptainObvious that many folks (including on this forum) have used tabbed browsers well before FireFox. With HAS to be fuckin' around.

true_neo
08-16-2005, 04:05 PM
There is a downside to this. The more people who use it the more hackers and virus writers will attempt to attack Firefox. They only go after IE as it's pretty much what ever body who isn't tech-savy uses. You install Windows and IE is there, you dont think twice about it unless ofcourse you've heard about others. If one day Firefox has say 70% of the market share, it might come a point when IE would be slightly "safer" just because no one is attempting to attack it.True, although I have a feeling that FF will still be safer. Microsoft aren't exactly known for their speedy fixes for security holes in their software. Mozilla Foundation release their fixes quicker, and though MS' policy may change in the future, I doubt MoFo's will.