PDA

View Full Version : Boost My DSL?

iMartin
08-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Alright, after 5 years of slow dial-up, I finally got DSL today. It's just 384 down/128 up, I usually get about 38KB/s on downloads, but that's a hella lot better than 56K. Anyways, I'm paying way more for this than I should be, so I was wondering if I could speed it up a tad? :unsure:

Peerzy
08-15-2005, 11:42 PM
You can either pay for faster or un-cap your modem. The second is extreamly legal and chances are you'll be caught within a few hours of doing it. It can take a standard modem from about 1mb up to about 12mb. However your ISP will see it right away and you'll be caught within a day or so. Not worth it.

iMartin
08-15-2005, 11:54 PM
No no...I'm talking semi-legal stuff here, just tweaks, etc...

ApacNTS
08-16-2005, 12:14 AM
nothing will help an external modem now, some software may help the ethernet work more effiecently but nothing will make it faster. im surprised that's all you get for dsl, mine runs around 200kbs d/l and about 60ish u/l. if you're paying over 40bucks, i'd reconsider another company...quickly :D

iMartin
08-16-2005, 12:52 AM
There's my problem, I live in a rual county, my ISP is local, and my only option.

Peerzy
08-16-2005, 01:16 AM
Then your fucked.

Spicker
08-16-2005, 02:55 AM
You can either pay for faster or un-cap your modem. The second is extreamly legal and chances are you'll be caught within a few hours of doing it. It can take a standard modem from about 1mb up to about 12mb. However your ISP will see it right away and you'll be caught within a day or so. Not worth it.
hold on a sec...

u can uncap dsl modems????

since when?

i knew there u could do this to cable modems :01:

Peerzy
08-16-2005, 04:54 AM
hold on a sec...

u can uncap dsl modems????

since when?

i knew there u could do this to cable modems :01:

Well im not sure about DSL, it's do able on NTL, Telewest, Blueyonder & a few others from the UK. Can't confim it working on any US ISP's.

dinner123
08-16-2005, 10:37 AM
You can either pay for faster or un-cap your modem. The second is extreamly legal and chances are you'll be caught within a few hours of doing it..
:stuart: :smartass:

Wolfmight
08-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Get TCP Optimizer: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
Select "Optimal" and make sure you check "DSL" under the MTU, so it's converted.
Now apply and restart. You will now have faster webpage loading times and downloads.
Trust me, I've used this sucker on many computers and it's the best! Works everytime!
Will do a nice +20-40% speed increase for webpage loading for sure.

maebach
08-17-2005, 05:01 AM
Get TCP Optimizer: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
Select "Optimal" and make sure you check "DSL" under the MTU, so it's converted.
Now apply and restart. You will now have faster webpage loading times and downloads.
Trust me, I've used this sucker on many computers and it's the best! Works everytime!
Will do a nice +20-40% speed increase for webpage loading for sure.

Will it help him download faster?

iMartin
08-18-2005, 03:04 AM
Hmm...thanks, I'll try whatever I can get my hands on.