PDA

View Full Version : Best Os?

fallenknight308
04-13-2003, 01:58 AM
I want to change my os from Win ME, to Win 2000 pro.
Is 2000 a better OS than ME? I have only used ME so far, and I don't really think I could go to XP.
(besides, I understand that you cannot share XP as you have to call them and confirm serial ect....??)
I found Win 2000 on k-lite and am going to start downloading, but wanted an opinion first :o
Also My version of Win ME Has some corruption, And I thought I could try Another one off K-lite, the file
says its an "OEM" What is an "OEM"?
Thank you B)

MP_Yona
04-13-2003, 02:10 AM
it's all down to what your going to do with your system. If it's gonna be a games system where you play games on it all the time then i don't recommend 2000 and It was build for stability which mean reduced graphics and few drivers!

On the other hand, i can see why you wanna change from Win ME because it's gotta be the worst OS ever built! it's the most unstable of all the Windows OS! but if your gonna use it for games then stick with ME as this has more compability with drivers and graphics etc.

If at all possible get urself a copy of XP, i know microsoft haven't fixed all bugs, but it's gotta be the most stable next to Windows 2000 and for compability it's great!

Win XP get's my vote! ;)

MP_Yona B)

Supernode
04-13-2003, 02:13 AM
Yes , then you got the Xp, make an clean install. Dont upgrade!
And make the disk to be an ntfs....

fallenknight308
04-13-2003, 02:16 AM
Yeah, I noticed that ME is WAY crash prone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:
But I do play alot of games, so maybe sticking with it is a better idea.
Can anybody tell me how to crack XP?
I heard if you got it "shared" you have to Re-install it after 30 days? :(
That is to say, if you got it off K-lite ect..........
Oh ya, what is an OEM?

fallenknight308
04-13-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Supernode@12 April 2003 - 18:13
Yes , then you got the Xp, make an clean install. Dont upgrade!
And make the disk to be an ntfs....
Ntfs? (I be noobie)

NightCrawler
04-13-2003, 02:23 AM
dont bother with a crack just get a serial number off www.andr.net you shouldnt hae any problem with the windows update i use an ilegal copy and ive had no problem with windows update or u couyld download xp pro coorperate which if im not mistaken does not require a serial :blink: :blink:

MP_Yona
04-13-2003, 02:24 AM
dang... i only posted my thoughts on this thread a fews ago and peeps already agreed with me!

well anyhow... as you asked in your question
What is an "OEM"?

I found this site with your answer as i'm not willing to explain, you'll see why when you see the loads of words on the page on that site! :lol:

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,...i214136,00.html (http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci214136,00.html)

Or

For general Computer Terms goto: http://whatis.techtarget.com/

MP_Yona B)

fallenknight308
04-13-2003, 02:28 AM
Thanks ;)

MP_Yona
04-13-2003, 02:33 AM
dang! the internet is a damn jungle... you just cant be too careful...

i just wanna say well done to NightCrawler who recommened the site: www.andr.net

just wanna say that it's a damn good site and thanx for sharing it with people, but i was on the site no more than 2 mins an the site forced my comp to download a Dialer with a popup in my face!

WARNING! if your going to look for a serial or crack from : www.andr.net then use a pop up killer and prevent the site getting the better of vunerable users!

MP_Yona B)

Supernode
04-13-2003, 02:44 AM
NTFS is the filesystem og the harddisk that xp works on.
It works on fat32 to but, why got the worst?
You can defrah an xp in ntfs in 3min.
Om fat32 like 1hour+

MP_Yona
04-13-2003, 02:46 AM
Dont open ur mouth until ur ass has finished talking! :lol:

Damn Supernode, i just about got the jist of that message.. you better edit it to make some sence!

MP_Yona B)

Supernode
04-13-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by MP_Yona@13 April 2003 - 03:46

Damn Supernode, i just about got the jist of that message.. you better edit it to make some sence!

MP_Yona B)

MP_Yona B)
Dont make me kill ya

kAb
04-13-2003, 03:09 AM
XP is 'ok'

many games fail to work on XP, and just crash constantly.

XP also has a lot of errors, but since i got a new computer to go with it, the speed is worth the errors.

but suddenly my comp is slow and is all fucked up. XP is also very limited on what you can edit and shit.

i'd stay w/ 98 or 2000, unless you're gonna get a new computer

ooo
04-13-2003, 03:17 AM
95 >> 98se >> 2000 >> XP <-- my ratings?

MP_Yona
04-13-2003, 04:03 AM
lol :lol: Supernode

so...anyhow, i don&#39;t seem to have many error on my XP system but most of the older games obviously don&#39;t have compability with XP but there is a great feature on XP that allows you to change the OS enviroment when running a specific game. if your having a problem running a game in XP but know it works on Win98 you can change the Compatability mode in the Properties&#33;

I dunno about you but i haven&#39;t really had a great chance to try that feature out coz all the stuff i do is A.O.K with XP but i do know the feature is there and letting other know it&#39;s there too&#33; Check it out and hopefully you won&#39;t get any more errors.

MP_Yona B)

Supernode
04-13-2003, 04:10 AM
Why is my name mentioned here?

ooo
04-13-2003, 04:17 AM
u made a previous comment up there

technonrgkid
04-13-2003, 09:35 AM
i never have any problems with xp running games, although i keep it to a minimum because of my computer specs (300mhz pentium 2 256mb ram) if you have specs around that get xp, even with 128 mbs is good for xp. many people think they computers cant handle xp but it can. min requirements are not that heavy. There right around what my cpu speed is (300 mhz), and ram is around 64mbs min.

Anyways, windows 98se gives way better performance than windows me does for gaming. WinME just has too many bugs to be good for running games. ID reformat the harddrive and install window 98 rather than winME. You can find that on kazza too, its about 150mbs or somewhere around that. Its the ripped version, it runs good.

Windows 2000 is now better for gaming, and has good driver support with the release of service pack 3.
Im actually thinking seriously now of using windows 2000pro for my default gaming Operating system, i&#39;ll see.

Windows XP is also the same as windows 2000, just with more eye candy, Better networking, and now made for home users.

I would recommend xp for everyday use. For gaming get windows 98se (not windows 98 original).
Unless you have lots of ram, then use xp for gaming, The more, the better xp runs.
Wich is why i run 98se on a multiboot with xp. Well right now xp longhorn. :D

The_Duck
12-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Got to keep a computer clean my friends. Lotsa downloads and stuff create many "extra" .dll things, broken links and temp files. Slows a system way down and might even cause lock-ups....But XP is probably the best and most stable OS I have used...once you turn off all the "extra" goodies MS puts in there. Try XPSpy and JV16 (both freebies) - may want to try Proxomitron for some "silent surfing".
I run a gig of RAM with accelerated graphics, have Acad, 3DS w/Pixar rendering all going at the same time and have not had any problems at all with XP - You can also customize XP to be more user specific - i.e. gaming, multimedia, yadda yadda. Hope this helps a bit.

Oh Yeah&#33;&#33; Anybody know where&#39;s a copy of Jungle 3D? Excellent vegetation generator. B)