PDA

View Full Version : Can i use DAP instead of Bittorrent for downloading Torrents

anxies
08-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Hi there i just wanted to know if there was a way of using DAP (Download Accelerator plus) instead of my ABC client. I am having problems with my ABC it keeps timing out after about 1/2 an hour and making my AOL not respond which is really aggrevating. However i did what i have never done before and i paid for a download and this came through on DAP software and was very fast and reliable. It seems to go via Http links is there a way of getting these via bit torrent sites or is there sites i can find that download in this format?
Thanks very much
Anne

Dredpirate
08-18-2005, 07:01 PM
NO! Dap downloads from one site. Bittorrent is a different technology and you do not download from a site. You connect to many peoples computers and download and upload from them. Trackers don't actually have the file. they just host a link.

Anyway, DAP is spyware/adware. dump it.

anxies
08-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Hi there thanks for replying, I really havent tried anything other than ABC so i admit you might as well call me a newbie, i know the basics but still need a helping hand to get sorted lol. :blink:
Anyway if i dump this DAP and ABC cause thats buggering up my system for some reason what bit client do you suggest and ports to open for it so on? :blushing:

Thanks
Anne :rolleyes:

Josh
08-18-2005, 08:43 PM
ABC is great i use ABC and BitTornado bit tornado great for a single bittorrent download i use ABC for multi uploading

anxies
08-18-2005, 08:46 PM
To be honest i do love Abc but its just conflicting with something somewhere so i have to try something else :cry: .

dodgy368
08-18-2005, 09:03 PM
To be honest i do love Abc but its just conflicting with something somewhere so i have to try something else :cry: .

anxies, try BitTornado, it's a very easy client to use, or Azureus if you like to fiddle with your client.:)

Hope that doesn't sound too mucky!:w00t:

Dredpirate
08-18-2005, 09:32 PM
About your ports. Most trackers ban the following ports:6881 - 6889

And would prefer you to use one between 49152 and 65535. Just pick one a random and test. None are really any better or worse. The key is it should be random so the ISP's can't flag it.

Each tracker may have different port requirements, so get the FAQ's for that site.

If any client gives you problems, just keep trying till you find whats best for you. I like Azureus myself but you need a good computer and a lot of ram for it.

RPerry
08-18-2005, 09:33 PM
I personally use Azureus, but because it a java based program, it is hard on the ram. I would also suggest bitcomet

anxies
08-18-2005, 09:41 PM
RIGHT HAVE DOWNLOADED AZUREUS

The speeds are low though so will leave it a bit and see what happens??? :frusty:

Dredpirate
08-18-2005, 10:15 PM
There are a lot of other causes for slow speeds.

If you continue to have problems, please provide the following info and we will get you going:

ISP type: modem? DSL? Max up/down speed allowed?
Tracker you are using?
on a network or directly connected?
Speeds you a currently getting?

RPerry
08-18-2005, 10:27 PM

If you continue to have problems, please provide the following info and we will get you going:

Tracker you are using?

also remember speeds don't always mean anything is wrong. If your on a file that has 2 seeds and 10 leechers, you would expect slow speeds.

anxies
08-19-2005, 10:43 AM

Tracker you are using?

Hi there I'm still having problems even on Azureus it still knocking my aol to not responding.
Right then here are some answers to your questions

ISP = AOL
DSL
UP/DOWN SPEED = LIMITLESS
TRACKER = HAVENT A CLUE BUT SAYS WORKING OK
DIRECTLY CONNECTED
SPEEDS = RIGHT I HAVE 2 DOWNLOADS GOING
DOWNLOAD 1 = 12 KB/S DOWN 13KB/S UPLOAD 1 SEED 9 PEERS
DOWN 2 = 12KB/S DOWN 13KB/S UPLOAD 12 SEEDS 18 PEERS

DONT THINK I HAVE A PROXY BUT HAVENT GOT A CLUE LIKE I SAY I'VE LOOKED ON INTERNET OPTIONS AND THE PROXY FIELDS ARE NOT TICKED JUST AUTO DETECT SETTINGS?

PLEASE HELP :cry:

ANNE

{I}{K}{E}
08-19-2005, 11:02 AM

:huh:

that cannot be correct :blink:

anxies
08-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Like i say i'm new to it what do i set it at? :blink:

dodgy368
08-19-2005, 12:23 PM

:huh:

that cannot be correct :blink:

Anxies means her usage isn't capped.

Anxies, have you got a 1mb or 2mb line?

anxies
08-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Yes 2mb :D

Dredpirate
08-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Ok, first thing to do since your having problems with getting to the AOL page while using Bittorent and bad torrent speeds is something everyone needs to do. You need to find out what what AOL has capped your upload speed at and then set your max upload speed to 80% of that. Not doing this will bog you down badly for not only torrent download speed but also accessing web pages. Trust me its true, don't want to go into details, but Azureus instructions say to do it and you should cause it works.

Remember that AOL will probably tell you the speeds in Kb/s and Azureus uses KB/s so you need to convert.

Actually just for a quick check lets assume your 2 torrents uploading at 13KB/s are maxing your upload speed out. Sounds about right for AOL and a 2Mb/s line. Go into Azureus options and change your max upload speed from "0" which is the default and means unlimited to "20". You should see an effect on your download speed within a couple of minutes, maybe seconds. Now also try your browsing on the web, this may also be faster.

Let me know if improved and we will tweak from there.

Please provide additional info just so I can make sure the problems not with the people your connected to.

Tracker - can be found on details page in Azureus.
Torrent name

anxies
08-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi there its all working ok now after i fixed the upload to 20 like you say has a average down of 25 KB/s to 20 KB/s upload.

Dredpirate
08-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Glad I could help.

You can also play with it by increasing/decreasing the upload speed in small increments (1KB/s) untill you find the perfect balance.

dodgy368
08-20-2005, 08:02 AM
Hi there its all working ok now after i fixed the upload to 20 like you say has a average down of 25 KB/s to 20 KB/s upload.

anxies, a d/l speed of 25kb is nowhere near what a 2mb line is capable of, what you need to do is test it by finding a torrent with say 100 seeds and less than 10 leeches, start downloading it and see what your speed is after 30 minutes.

ps, make sure you only have one torrent running.;)

Dredpirate
08-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Dodgy's correct that its slow. I am figuring the slowness is due to your seeders and peers (25KB/s is about right for a no-name tracker with not many seeds). But if you want a good true test take Dodgy's advise. I would also suggest to pick a torrent from a tracker with peeps with mega-bandwidth like TB. If your download is below 130KB/s you may still have problems. Think your OK though, probably probs on the other end.

kazaaman
08-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Bitcomet, If you see trouble with that client, then something is seriously wrong.... j/k. Its really easy and fast.