PDA

View Full Version : The Dentist Is Flipping Expensive

BigBank_Hank
08-25-2005, 01:50 AM
The Dentist Is Flipping Expensive

Last Friday I went to the dentist to have my four wisdom teeth pulled and it cost me damn near two thousand bucks. Not to mention that it hurt like hell and I couldn’t eat solid food for 3 days. I bet that I was in and out of that place in and hour and a half.

Then once my mouth heals nice and I return from vacation I need to have braces put on a d I’m sure that’ll be another two grand.

I’m in the wrong damn profession :frusty:

Smith
08-25-2005, 01:53 AM
Wow, you gotta get a better dental plan....

BigBank_Hank
08-25-2005, 02:52 AM
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield, which is a major insurance carrier, and they told me that they don’t offer dental insurance. So I asked them whom they could refer me to and the guy told me that they don’t recommend anyone. Thanks a lot.

peat moss
08-25-2005, 03:10 AM
Even a low paying job in Canada should supply a dental plan. If they only offer you minium wage it should come with benefits . It means a lot to a family man or womam ,single people don't worry asmuch till they need it .

Example if you start at $12.00 to clean a warehouse and they add a good medical plan after probation that could work out to an extra $2.00 an hour if your a parent .

Edit : Should add medical plan includes prescription drugs,eyeware, basic dental and life insurance . WITH OUT that you might as well stay on the dole and let the government supply for your family. :ph34r:

ruthie
08-25-2005, 04:33 AM
for that amount of money, did they at least give you general anesthesia and good drugs?

ModestoMouse
08-25-2005, 06:17 AM
If you're getting minumimmm wage here in the states chances are you're getting no medical, not to mention dental. Theres only a few companies out there who treat unskilled workers fairly i.e. Starbucks, Trader Joes. If you're on the "dole" or welfare, you've got bigger problems to worry about, like how the hell do I stop stealing aluminum siding to support my meth habit!

manker
08-25-2005, 08:39 AM
If you're getting minumimmm wage here in the states chances are you're getting no medical, not to mention dental. Theres only a few companies out there who treat unskilled workers fairly i.e. Starbucks, Trader Joes. If you're on the "dole" or welfare, you've got bigger problems to worry about, like how the hell do I stop stealing aluminum siding to support my meth habit!Nice one :lol: :D

America - nutshellized.

Cheese
08-25-2005, 09:10 AM
I think I can apply for free dental care...should really look into before all my teeth fall out. I don't think I'd make as much money off the tooth fairy as I used to as a kid.

Barbarossa
08-25-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm an NHS dental patient.. not that I really understand what it all means, except I have to pay £15 for each checkup.. :unsure:

Luckily, I haven't had to have any more work done yet.. (fingers crossed)

BigBank_Hank
08-25-2005, 03:12 PM
I think I can apply for free dental care...should really look into before all my teeth fall out. I don't think I'd make as much money off the tooth fairy as I used to as a kid.
Well that’s the one thing that I’ve learned from this ordeal; don’t wait until there’s something wrong with your teeth to go to the dentist. I learned that lesson the hard way.

DanB
08-25-2005, 03:15 PM
I am an NHS patient too, luckily I was out of work when I needed my stuff so I got it all done for free.

I think I had 5 fillings and 1 gold crown on a molar

BigBank_Hank
08-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Not to mention that every time you go not only is it expensive but it hurts. It’s been almost a week now since I’ve had all my wisdom teeth extracted and I still have trouble eating solid foods.

Rat Faced
08-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Im an NHS patient, and live 1 mile from the Dental Hospital with a medical School... I've never paid for Dental treatment yet :P

peat moss
08-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Im an NHS patient, and live 1 mile from the Dental Hospital with a medical School... I've never paid for Dental treatment yet :P

As long as they pull the right teeth ! :P

missie
08-26-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm a BUPA patient.
By paying £30 per month, I receive 2 annual check-ups per year, a hygienist app and any additional dental hospital fee's.

I've also lit the wrong end of my spliff. :ph34r:

BigBank_Hank
08-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Since most of you Brits seems to have good dental insurance and don’t have to pay for visits why the big stereotype of Brits having horrible teeth?

missie
08-26-2005, 01:28 AM
I dunno. :blink:

more tea, Hank?

BigBank_Hank
08-26-2005, 01:33 AM
Sure love :D

missie
08-26-2005, 01:37 AM
ok, me ducks.
Less caffeine this time, me thinketh.

brotherdoobie
08-26-2005, 04:08 AM
Since most of you Brits seems to have good dental insurance and don’t have to pay for visits why the big stereotype of Brits having horrible teeth?

No fluoride in the drinking water?

Peace bd :unsure:

Rat Faced
08-26-2005, 08:39 AM
.... why the big stereotype of Brits having horrible teeth?

Not seen that one.. but i bet they arent as bad as Red Necks n Hillbillies :P

Barbarossa
08-26-2005, 08:52 AM

I never knew we had that stereotype? :ohmy:

Gripper
08-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Hey Bigbank has having your wisdom teeth made any noticable difference to your IQ

DarthInsinuate
08-26-2005, 11:40 AM
dentists are rip-off artists (kicks them in shin and runs away), you only think you need teeth because they tell you you do. Babys get on fine without them

Gripper
08-26-2005, 11:46 AM
dentists are rip-off artists (kicks them in shin and runs away), you only think you need teeth because they tell you you do. Babys get on fine without them
True,but trying to breast feed at my age gets me in soooooooo much trouble :cry:

BigBank_Hank
08-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Hey Bigbank has having your wisdom teeth made any noticable difference to your IQ
Absolutely.

Today I ordered a correspondence course on dentistry so that I can get in on some of that money that I’m missing out on.

Peerzy
08-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Me mam knows teh Dentist so i get it all done for free :01:

Last time i went for 3 fillings he even gave me 'white fillings' so you can nay see them :01:

Busyman
08-26-2005, 06:47 PM
I have Blue Cross Blue Shield, which is a major insurance carrier, and they told me that they don’t offer dental insurance. So I asked them whom they could refer me to and the guy told me that they don’t recommend anyone. Thanks a lot.
Damn!!! $2000??

I have Aetna DMO. I had my 4 wisdoms removed and paid $100 to the oral surgeon.

I get teeth cleanings every 6 months for free.

My only cavity (cause of that fucking impacted wisdom tooth) was filled for free.

How many cavities/fillings do you have?

You should have gotten dental coverage when you found you had to have your the wisdoms taken out. There's no pre-existing clause for dental insurance. The only reason I got mine taken out was 'cause of one small cavity (I'm still kinda salty about that).

Also get a Sonicare toothbrush and floss.

peat moss
08-27-2005, 02:19 AM
The trick is going every 6 months , I'll admit my plan was used up on two major problems this year because I did n't go the year before . If I went in twice in 2004 I would have been fine . Does as your moms says . :ph34r:

Wife has a new job so I can double dip now too , thank god because the youngest needs braces . :blink:

Busyman
08-27-2005, 03:05 AM
The trick is going every 6 months , I'll admit my plan was used up on two major problems this year because I did n't go the year before . If I went in twice in 2004 I would have been fine . Does as your moms says . :ph34r:
Previous to my last teeth cleaning, I hadn't gone in 2 years.

I have one small cavity due to crap getting caught around an impacted tooth.
:dry:

The fact is people don't take care of their teeth sans the dentist.

Many don't brush after meals.
They go to sleep at night without brushing which is absolutely horrible on your teeth. Your mouth doesn't move as much and the cavity creeps can get to work unencumbered.
People don't floss for shit and end having bleeding gums. One should be able to mildly fingernail the gum line without a hint of blood. If your gums are bleeding, fuck the cavities, your teeth will just fall the fuck out.
People don't brush properly or long enough. Regular brushing should tak 5 minutes. (with my Sonicare, it's 2 minutes)

It's sounds like folks in the UK have free dental care yet there exists the stereotype of horrible teeth there (like their mouths got hit with a bag of coins) along with archaic dentistry.

Everose
08-27-2005, 03:49 AM
I don't understand the Blue Cross Blue Shield deal. I know they offer dental, because I have been on their plan. Maybe just the group you are in doesn't offer it as an option? Or since you have your own shop, are you on an independent policy? If so, I bet that takes a chunk every month. :(

Hank, whatever you do, if you are still having problems after getting those wisdom teeth pulled, let the dentist know about it. And if you still have pain and he says you couldn't be.......pm me.....I have a horror story I can relay to you. :D

Busyman
08-27-2005, 04:04 AM
I don't understand the Blue Cross Blue Shield deal. I know they offer dental, because I have been on their plan. Maybe just the group you are in doesn't offer it as an option? Or since you have your own shop, are you on an independent policy? If so, I bet that takes a chunk every month. :(

Hank, whatever you do, if you are still having problems after getting those wisdom teeth pulled, let the dentist know about it. And if you still have pain and he says you couldn't be.......pm me.....I have a horror story I can relay to you. :D
He's just bitchin' up is all.

I had the same problem but I still had some of my bottom left tooth left in and he had to get it out. It still hurt regardless of that particular tooth.

BigBank_Hank
08-27-2005, 04:20 AM
B is absolutely right about brush techniques. I have a special toothbrush that the dentist gave (well not really) to brush underneath my gums.

@Rose - You are right about Blue Cross not offering it to individual policy holders. It’s expensive as hell because we have to carry special insurance because of the hazards of our work.

Everose
08-27-2005, 05:16 AM
Ouch, Busy, you mean he didn't get all the wisdom tooth and had to go back in?

I would hate to see your total insurance payables a month, Hank........liability, property, unemployment and workcomp? You need to find a good dentist with a car that keeps breaking down. Do those exist? :lol:

BigBank_Hank
08-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Ya know next time I go in for a visit I’m thinking of raising the hood on his car and disconnecting a spark plug wire or something, nothing major.

Just kidding of course.

Everose
08-27-2005, 05:49 AM
As long as he doesn't drive a diesel, that will work. ;) If he does, just unhook the little wire off the pump. :) (that way you will get to make a service call on top of the work)

peat moss
08-27-2005, 05:49 AM
Hey Hank be thankful its not the other end (the exit only ) . :pinch:

Busyman
08-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Ouch, Busy, you mean he didn't get all the wisdom tooth and had to go back in?
Yes. It was discovered on follow-up (removing the stiches) and I told him of a particular and different pain on my lower left.

Having that problem made the pain last longer than the normal week.

Jon L. Obscene
08-27-2005, 09:46 AM
I really should be going to dentist, not been for 6 years, altho no probs with teeth that I know of.
I used to go every 6 months, then missed 2 apts so I got taken off the list, now the nearest dentist I can get on the list is 60 miles away :dry:

I guess I could go private but to pay something like £80 for a checkup is extracting the micheal :dry:

Maybe I'll make some phonecalls on monday.

Jonno :cool:

Gripper
08-27-2005, 01:19 PM
Jon your local nhs trust should be able to put you in touch with an nhs desist

Santa
08-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Teeth are for carnivors

bananamilkshake rule (+ straw)

http://www.bigatton.com/HTML/IMMAGINI/FOTO/milkshake.jpg

sArA
08-27-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't understand the 'British have bad teeth thing' as when in the states, I saw more people with gaps, bad teeth than I do here....(probably due to the lack of free dental care for the less well off)

It did occur to me however, that it may be due to the fact that we don't tend to do as much cosmetic work so that the 'perfect' teeth thing is less important than 'healthy' teeth.

Busyman
08-27-2005, 08:28 PM
I don't understand the 'British have bad teeth thing' as when in the states, I saw more people with gaps, bad teeth than I do here....(probably due to the lack of free dental care for the less well off)

It did occur to me however, that it may be due to the fact that we don't tend to do as much cosmetic work so that the 'perfect' teeth thing is less important than 'healthy' teeth.
The stereotype has to do with the average joe and not bums on the street Sara. :ermm:

Folks with insurance get braces and check-ups alot more those without. Perfect teeth are healthy teeth btw.

Maybe Britain has gotten better and these stereotypes are now misapplied.

Fuck Austin Powers. :lol: :lol:

maebach
08-27-2005, 09:51 PM
My braces were like $4500 but my moms work is putting alot in, I dont know the percentage.

Gripper
08-27-2005, 10:04 PM
My braces were like $4500 but my moms work is putting alot in, I dont know the percentage.
Just think what sort of computer you could have for that kind of money,do you think your moms work would put some money in for a new one to compensate you for your discomfort :D