PDA

View Full Version : pretty random question

suprafreak6
08-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Okay heres a pretty random question that i need answered :sick:
"what is the weight of a penny?"

Jon L. Obscene
08-28-2005, 03:22 PM
The new penny weighs 3.56 grams and has a diameter of 20.32 mm. Initially issued in bronze, the material used to make the 1p coins changed to copper plated steel in 1992. Since then the only penny to appear in bronze has been the proof issue of 1999.

Source (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:uS73R58DB4AJ:www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/decbr.html+weight+of+a+new+penny+in+grams&hl=en)

On a side note, the change of metal cost the amusement acrcade industry a fortune because all machines pretty much had to have the coin slot altered to have the magnet taken out because the new coins were jamming up the mechanism.

Jonno :cool:

FWD
08-28-2005, 03:27 PM
"what is the weight of a penny?"

http://www.diana-dalmaqua.org/penny.jpg

i'd guess about 140-150 lbs.

Tikibonbon
08-28-2005, 03:37 PM
0.09 ounces.

suprafreak6
08-28-2005, 03:40 PM
The new penny weighs 3.56 grams and has a diameter of 20.32 mm. Initially issued in bronze, the material used to make the 1p coins changed to copper plated steel in 1992. Since then the only penny to appear in bronze has been the proof issue of 1999.

Source (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:uS73R58DB4AJ:www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/decbr.html+weight+of+a+new+penny+in+grams&hl=en)

On a side note, the change of metal cost the amusement acrcade industry a fortune because all machines pretty much had to have the coin slot altered to have the magnet taken out because the new coins were jamming up the mechanism.

exactly what i needed thanks :lol:

Tikibonbon
08-28-2005, 03:45 PM

exactly what i needed thanks :lol:

Be careful if you are using this for school work, your teacher might laugh at you if you say our penny contains bronze and or steel. :P

Jon L. Obscene
08-28-2005, 03:48 PM
lol thats true, I'm talking about the English 1 pence coin :01:

Sharpend and thrown at football matches is probably their most useful quality and also a Chelsea tradition........we at Norwich throw bog roll :01:

Santa
08-28-2005, 03:49 PM
depends on the gravitational pull of the planet you weigh it on.

tesco
08-28-2005, 04:38 PM
And where on the plant. :ermm:

enoughfakefiles
08-28-2005, 04:42 PM
It weights the same as a 1/16th or is it an 1/8th. :ph34r:

JPaul
08-28-2005, 04:56 PM
And where on the plant. :ermm:
Good points.

Fortunately J-LO thought of that and answered re their mass, in so doing obviated any potential problems.

tesco
08-29-2005, 04:11 AM
J-Lo :lol:

Wolfmight
08-29-2005, 04:18 AM
blasted CIA!

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/4553/penny0521b4za.jpg

jus playin, it's really is a fully functioning oscillator: http://www.bell-labs.com/news/1999/june/3/1.html

What's an oscillator you say?

http://www.answers.com/oscillator

tesco
08-29-2005, 04:23 AM
:blink: Why is that there?

And why so many people viewing this thread? :ohmy:

ogie1konobi
08-29-2005, 08:50 AM
depends if you expand the diameter by crushing it in one of thos penny stretchers also sorry for the misspell are we taking about with gravity or without lol.

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 09:09 AM
It weights the same as a 1/16th or is it an 1/8th. :ph34r:

No thats not true, used to be a half penny for teenth and penny for henry, but as my post said they changed the metal so people stopped using the penny because it got lighter (I think).

Just thought I'd point that out :unsure:

I have a random question.......why is it that in every story told about aliens, they have to be way more advanced technologically than us?
Is it because they have reached us? <- this is what a friend said.
I replied, that does'nt mean they are more advanced tho, that could be simply that they have a better supply of fuel and the average life could be 1000 yearsand they don't need as much food/water as us, hence them being able to travel for longer, if we lived longer and had a better source of fuel we could travel to other planets no?

McStabhappy
08-29-2005, 09:10 AM

you forgot that during WW2 they stoped making them out of copper

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 09:17 AM
What does that have to do with my post? :huh:

The new penny weighs 3.56

In ww2 we had different monitary units, we did'nt decimilize until the 70's? (not sure on that, JP could help out here lol)

manker
08-29-2005, 09:19 AM
I have a random question.......why is it that in every story told about aliens, they have to be way more advanced technologically than us?
I replied, that does'nt mean they are more advanced tho, that could be simply that they have a better supply of fuel and the average life could be 1000 yearsand they don't need as much food/water as us, hence them being able to travel for longer, if we lived longer and had a better source of fuel we could travel to other planets no?

Jonno :cool:With our current technology, we can't even ascertain if life exists elsewhere, let alone travel to it. If we wanted to travel to the second nearest star to Earth it would take circa 50,000 years.

If aliens came here it would mean that they're more technologically advanced because a) they located us and b) they travelled here. Two things that we can't do.

Your friend is correct.

manker
08-29-2005, 09:22 AM

The new penny weighs 3.56

In ww2 we had different monitary units, we did'nt decimilize until the 70's? (not sure on that, JP could help out here lol)

Jonno :cool:Even after decimalisation we still used some of the same coins - like a shilling for 5p, two shillings for 10ps - we also kept the pennies and tuppences.

That's only from memory because I remember seeing coins with old dates on them as a kid. There may be others.

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 09:27 AM
I dissagree, like I said, why compare aliens to us? who's to say they need food?
Who's to say there is'nt an abundence of super fuel on their planet?, who's to say they can naturally stop their body clocks for thousands of years? or indeed live for thousands of years.
The "Fact" they found us proves nothing, if they don't have electricity does it mean they are less inteligent? no, it could possibly mean they have a different source on their planet.
Our fuels are determined by our planets natural resources no?
The time spent travelling is determined by our lifespan.

As for finding us, they supposedly crashed here in Roswell no?......the primary word being "Crashed", so it's possible they found us by accident, also they could be explorers. Was Columbus more technologically advanced than everyone else? no he was a sailor and explorer, therefore he just travelled and found places more by luck than anything.

Is it not possible that we are more technologically advanced?

manker
08-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Is it not possible that we are more technologically advanced?No.

Anyone who thinks that it is possible is an idiot.

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 09:29 AM

Jonno :cool:Even after decimalisation we still used some of the same coins - like a shilling for 5p, two shillings for 10ps - we also kept the pennies and tuppences.

That's only from memory because I remember seeing coins with old dates on them as a kid. There may be others.

You're wrong.

The old penny and threepence coins ceased to be legal tender on 31st August 1971, just over six months after D-day. However, it is still possible to exchange them for current coins at a bank in suitably large quantities - consult your local cashier!

Source (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:0zWqEzT86H4J:www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/dec.html+new+1p+piece+introduced+in+uk&hl=en)

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Is it not possible that we are more technologically advanced?No.

Why?

You're basing your opinion on OUR technology and fuels and life span, how does anyone know whats out there?

We have been brought up to believe they are more advanced, but..........well, read my last post, dissprove me.

manker
08-29-2005, 09:34 AM
Even after decimalisation we still used some of the same coins - like a shilling for 5p, two shillings for 10ps - we also kept the pennies and tuppences.

You're wrong.

The old penny and threepence coins ceased to be legal tender on 31st August 1971, just over six months after D-day. However, it is still possible to exchange them for current coins at a bank in suitably large quantities - consult your local cashier!

Source (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:0zWqEzT86H4J:www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/dec.html+new+1p+piece+introduced+in+uk&hl=en)

Jonno :cool:Like I said, it was from memory, it's mostly right what I wrote.

Not having to google stuff is pretty cool.

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Like I said, it was from memory, it's mostly right what I wrote.

Not having to google stuff is pretty cool.

erm.......no......you wrote
Even after decimalisation we still used some of the same coins - like a shilling for 5p, two shillings for 10ps - we also kept the pennies and tuppences.

That was the main refference to my post and it's incorrect.

And you've just proved the point that you been telling me for months that if you don't google you get things wrong and make yourself look an arse :P
Besides, I only googled to back up what I was saying.

manker
08-29-2005, 09:38 AM
No.

Why?

You're basing your opinion on OUR technology and fuels and life span, how does anyone know whats out there?

We have been brought up to believe they are more advanced, but..........well, read my last post, dissprove me.

Jonno :cool:So you're basing your opinions on THEIR technology, fuel and lifespan.

Way to go.

There is no point me writing something to disprove what you wrote - I've done it already and merely repeating it won't make you any less of an idiot for thinking that we're more advanced than any hypothetical aliens that are capable of travelling from one solar system to another.

manker
08-29-2005, 09:42 AM
erm.......no......you wrote

That was the main refference to my post and it's incorrect.

And you've just proved the point that you been telling me for months that if you don't google you get things wrong and make yourself look an arse :P
Besides, I only googled to back up what I was saying.

Jonno :cool:Jonno, I wrote about decimalisation. You thought that we used different coins, I said I thought we kept some and posted some examples that I remembered.

I also posted a disclaimer because my memory isn't too hot.

Is that okay.

JPaul
08-29-2005, 09:44 AM
The fact of the matter is that we cannot even begin to conceive of a way to ascertain whether there is life on other planets (outside of our own solar system obviously). Even if there is (life o other planets) we have not one iota of a clue of how to go about getting to them, far less the technology to actually do it. We are a very, very, very (etc) long way away from such a technology.

The simple matter is that if aliens were to reach us, even from the nearest planets (outside of our own solar system), then the technology they used to do it is beyond our comprehension. Ergo they are much more technologically advanced than us (and not by a small margin).

The fact that they may be long lived, have access to super fuels, don't require food or water only explains how they becam more technologically advanced than us. It does not alter the fact that, having got here, they are.

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 09:46 AM
No, I'm basing my opinion on open mindedness, limitless possibilities, you can't tell me that Jupiter or Mars have the same natural resources as us?

You cannot dissprove my theory, I cannot dissprove yours, but I'm open minded enough to see it's possible that we are'nt quite as slow and stupid as we make out........or as the movies make us out to be.

I'll try and give you an example, think of it like I'm a better guitarist than my sister, yet she can play piano better than me,she can read music but can't memorize, I can't read music but once learnt I don't need to read it. we are both as good as eachother yet in different fields, so who is more advanced?

Same with us and aliens, we maybe more civilized, better advances in medicines, culture.
Look at Starship Troopers.......those aliens had no technological weaponry, it was all natural......you see my point? just cos they reached us does'nt make them more advanced, yes it's possible, but it's also possible they are less advanced but luckier with natural resources etc.

lynx
08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Jonno's hypothesis about aliens is extremely unlikely, I think he would agree with that.

However, it isn't a yes/no type of question and to suggest it is impossible is obviously ridiculous.

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Is that okay.

Yes, I'm simply correcting you. Is that ok?

@JP ....... Why does it make them more advanced?
I could get further in a diesel car than a petrol car on 1 tank of fuel, it's nothing to do with technology, just a different source/type of fuel no?

Ahhhhh monday mornings with JP and Manky........glad I don't work on mondays, I'd miss this :lol:

@Linx.... Why is it unlikely? no one seems to be able to give me an answer other than "It can't happen cos if they get here first then they better"
I've given reason to opose that argument, I'm yet to hear plausable reason against it.

manker
08-29-2005, 09:50 AM
No, I'm basing my opinion on open mindedness, limitless possibilities, you can't tell me that Jupiter or Mars have the same natural resources as us?

You cannot dissprove my theory, I cannot dissprove yours, but I'm open minded enough to see it's possible that we are'nt quite as slow and stupid as we make out........or as the movies make us out to be.

I'll try and give you an example, think of it like I'm a better guitarist than my sister, yet she can play piano better than me,she can read music but can't memorize, I can't read music but once learnt I don't need to read it. we are both as good as eachother yet in different fields, so who is more advanced?

Same with us and aliens, we maybe more civilized, better advances in medicines, culture.
Look at Starship Troopers.......those aliens had no technological weaponry, it was all natural......you see my point? just cos they reached us does'nt make them more advanced, yes it's possible, but it's also possible they are less advanced but luckier with natural resources etc.

:lol:

manker
08-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Is that okay.

Yes, I'm simply correcting you. Is that ok?
Mais oui.

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 09:52 AM

I take it by that you can't answer me, so instead of saying nothing you thought "I'll just laugh, that way everyone will think I know better" :rolleyes:

118...........got your numbA! :lol:

manker
08-29-2005, 09:57 AM

I take it by that you can't answer me, so instead of saying nothing you thought "I'll just laugh, that way everyone will think I know better" :rolleyes:

118...........got your numbA! :lol:

Jonno :cool:Sorry, I laugh each time someone makes a Starship Troopers reference in a discussion about science.

I thought it appropriate to reflect this involuntary spasm with a :lol: smiley.

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 10:06 AM
I thought it appropriate to reflect this involuntary spasm with a :lol: smiley.

:lol: I was using it as an example, since most of the publics info and opinions on alien life come from science fiction, ie: movies/books

btw, quite impressed how you thought to use color code to stop the lol smilie activating *aplauds*

JPaul
08-29-2005, 10:08 AM
[
@JP ....... Why does it make them more advanced?
I could get further in a diesel car than a petrol car on 1 tank of fuel, it's nothing to do with technology, just a different source/type of fuel no?

The analogy is deeply flawed.

You would be better comparing a bicycle to a Ferrari. Can you acept that the Ferrari is more technologically advanced. That is not to say it is better (in some sort of judgemental way) just that it is more capabe, more advanced (in a technology type way).

Or

Are you more technologically advanced than a tribesman living in a rainforest in South America, who has never experienced anything outside of his village. Of course you are. Not just because you have access to petrol, but because you have developed a technology to use it.

He may have access to knowledge that you do not, however it is beyond question that your technology is more advanced than his.

So it is possible, because of your technology, that you can go and see him. He however does not even know that you exist. Even if he did, how would he go about visiting you (using only his own technology). If nothing else the oceans would cause him a major problem.

Analogies in action, by ICI

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 10:19 AM
The analogy is deeply flawed.

You would be better comparing a bicycle to a Ferrari. Can you acept that the Ferrari is more technologically advanced. That is not to say it is better (in some sort of judgemental way) just that it is more capabe, more advanced (in a technology type way).

No, I thought of saying that, but thats a technological difference, wheras petrol and deisel are relatively the same in tech terms.
I see what you're saying, but finding an analogy to compare with this subject we can only use what we know, which is stuff from our planet/lives.

Are you more technologically advanced than a tribesman living in a rainforest in South America, who has never experienced anything outside of his village. Of course you are. Not just because you have access to petrol, but because you have developed a technology to use it.

He may have access to knowledge that you do not, however it is beyond question that your technology is more advanced than his.

Again, you are using an analogy of one tribesman to another both with the same resources, one advanced more than the other for some reason.

So it is possible, because of your technology, that you can go and see him. He however does not even know that you exist. Even if he did, how would he go about visiting you (using only his own technology). If nothing else the oceans would cause him a major problem.

You are still not thinking alien, I will say it again, IF we had a natural resource of fuel which lasted a thousand times longer than what we have on this planet, and we lived longer and needed less or no food, then we could and would explore the universe.

To use your type of analogy it's like a Honda c90 compared to a cbr900, they both use the same fuel, yet the cbr is more technologically advanced no?
Having said that I could get a lot futher on a tank of fuel on the c90 than the cbr. So which is more advanced? the cbr is faster and handles better but in terms of exploration the c90 would get me further if only 1 full tank of fuel was used.

JPaul
08-29-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm not going to bother, you're being obtuse and it's tired. Either that or you don't bother reading what other people write.

I'm ashamed to say that I tried to explain it again, fortunately I saw sense and deleted it.

Santa
08-29-2005, 10:30 AM
this thread suddenly got too heavy for me 4.5g

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Why am I being obtuse?
Because I refuse to believe that it is 100% true aliens are more technologically advanced?

Come on JP, you're an inteligent man, there is no proof to say either way, yes it's possible and probably likely that we are not as advanced, but by the same token is it not also possible that we are not behind but in fact more advanced?

And why delete your explination? :huh:

lynx
08-29-2005, 10:43 AM
yes it's possible and probably likely that we are not as advancedI knew you'd agree. :shifty:

BTW, how much does a penny weigh on the aliens' home planet?

Jon L. Obscene
08-29-2005, 10:51 AM
25 metric tons :01:

FWD
08-29-2005, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=enoughfakefiles]I have a random question.......why is it that in every story told about aliens, they have to be way more advanced technologically than us?

the problem i see with your supposition is that it would mean the aliens departed on their trip 1000 years ago. that would mean they had the capability of space flight at a time when we were barely aware that other planets even existed.

JPaul
08-29-2005, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=Jon L. Obscene]

the problem i see with your supposition is that it would mean the aliens departed on their trip 1000 years ago.
How do you know what speed they are travelling and how far away they started.

NikkiD
08-29-2005, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=FWD]

I was just about to ask that very same question. :ohmy:

JPaul
08-29-2005, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=JPaul]

I was just about to ask that very same question. :ohmy:
Go ahead, I'm sure no-one will mind.

NikkiD
08-29-2005, 07:06 PM
the problem i see with your supposition is that it would mean the aliens departed on their trip 1000 years ago. that would mean they had the capability of space flight at a time when we were barely aware that other planets even existed.

How do you know what speed they are travelling and how far away they started?

JPaul
08-29-2005, 07:54 PM

You added the curly wurly. Which individualised it. Good move.

NikkiD
08-29-2005, 08:50 PM

I was going for that "personal touch". Curly wurlies are apparently girly.

FWD
08-29-2005, 09:09 PM

i'm a mentalist, of course.

JPaul
08-29-2005, 09:31 PM

I was going for that "personal touch". Curly wurlies are apparently girly.