PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Releases Windows File System Beta

peat moss
08-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Microsoft today released a test version of its next-generation file system, WinFS, well ahead of schedule.

The software giant made the first beta of the new file system available to Microsoft Developer Network subscribers, according to a company spokesman. Developers had not expected to see a test version of WinFS until next year, according to a previous time line provided by Microsoft.

WinFS will not be a part of the next version of Windows, Windows Vista, when it ships at the end of next year, but will be available to the operating system as an add-on release sometime in 2007, says Quentin Clark, director of program management for WinFS at Microsoft.

:source: Source: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122342,00.asp

asmithz
08-30-2005, 04:04 AM
I dunno if i should install this, will it work with XP?

tesco
08-30-2005, 04:07 AM
I dunno if i should install this, will it work with XP?
If it doesn't I'm sure it will warn you.
But they are supposed to be releeasing an XP version, if not along with the betas then when the vista one is released. ;)

peat moss
08-30-2005, 04:23 AM
Its for developers and will work on xp sp2 .

Quote : Microsoft officials said Beta 1 runs on Windows XP with Service Pack (SP) 2 or "higher" releases. It does not run on Windows Server 2003, Vista Beta 1 or Longhorn Server Beta 1.

Link : http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1853593,00.asp

asmithz
08-30-2005, 05:24 AM
Didnt work :(

BawA
08-30-2005, 12:24 PM
so we must convert the HDD file system from NTFS/fat32 to WinFS ti get its benifits or what?

gsky
08-30-2005, 02:37 PM
yep, that's the idea

tesco
08-30-2005, 04:07 PM
What was wrong with it?

BawA
08-31-2005, 04:22 AM
yep, that's the idea

i know, what am reffreing to is that installing the FS(which people r talking about it here) is not big deal, converting the partiton and not losing files is my concern.

tesco
08-31-2005, 12:19 PM
yep, that's the idea

i know, what am reffreing to is that installing the FS(which people r talking about it here) is not big deal, converting the partiton and not losing files is my concern.
I installed it, there's no converting to do.

Actually I can't for the life of me figure out what this FS does, or why anyone would want it. :wacko:
Someone try it and see what i mean... :wacko:

{I}{K}{E}
08-31-2005, 12:28 PM
all i know is that it improves the search option in winxp

tesco
08-31-2005, 12:39 PM
all i know is that it improves the search option in winxp
Didn't for me.
Takes as long as ever. :huh:
Maybe i don't have it setup right. :unsure:

asmithz
08-31-2005, 03:23 PM
What was wrong with it?

I get this when i try and install

CLR or Version v2.0.50215 is not installed on this machine. Please Install the v2.0.50215 build of CLR and run the setup again.

EDIT: NVM got it needed .net 2 alright but i dont see a diff eaither.

BawA
08-31-2005, 07:42 PM

Actually I can't for the life of me figure out what this FS does, or why anyone would want it. :wacko:
no converting?? does the installer do the job it self or what, check ur partition wheter its changed to WinFS or not.

asmithz
08-31-2005, 11:39 PM

no converting?? does the installer do the job it self or what, check ur partition wheter its changed to WinFS or not.

No it doesn't convert yout NTFS to WinFS. It seems to be like an add on. It adds WinFS folder in your My Computer. I dunno if I am correct, but it seems like just a addon. That just index's everything better.

tesco
08-31-2005, 11:54 PM
Ya.
There were no options to, and it didn't, converft anything away from ntfs.

It adds 'winfs storage' or something liek that to my computer, and when u browse it the folders are empty.

The help files say to move your documents or whatever into those folders, but i really dont see the point. :blink:

asmithz
09-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Ya.
There were no options to, and it didn't, converft anything away from ntfs.

It adds 'winfs storage' or something liek that to my computer, and when u browse it the folders are empty.

The help files say to move your documents or whatever into those folders, but i really dont see the point. :blink:

Move your what... LOL

I am gonna have to read this over, and see whats up. As i can see its pointless so far.

tesco
09-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Move stuff like word files, music, pics.

asmithz
09-01-2005, 12:27 AM
So...... Its just for storage? How pointless is that.

peat moss
09-01-2005, 12:37 PM
It seems they can't get the name right either , Some call it Win file system and some Win future storage .

Quote : WinFS is essentially an SQL database layer that sits on top of the NTFS file system. With it, files and data are abstracted and can be access not just more quickly but in many different ways. Some speculate that WinFS may first appear on the server edition of Windows Vista and when coupled with a WinFS enabled client, would allow seamless organization of files and data across a network.

tesco
09-01-2005, 05:09 PM
That must be what it is.
When you click the folder, it's not like another folder on yuor drive or another drive altogether, the path has the computer name in it like it's a shared folder.
Maybe this just lets you store files in there for the network and then allows it and other computers to search it instantly. :unsure: