PDA

View Full Version : Gigabit Ethernet! sweetness

Wolfmight
08-31-2005, 07:55 PM
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4643/33124020029mv.jpg
Yea, I know it's a switch, but I got it $30 cheaper than newegg's price at CompUSA. Sets up quick with automation and is much faster than my old router. Not to worry about a firewall, my other router didn't have one either...but my DSL modem has always had a good one since it was made this year.
Who here uses a Gigabit Router or Switch with Cat6 (or 5e) cables and the 1000mbps NICs? I just got a Gigabit Switch and it freakin rules! I can view high quality footage located on another machine without that blasted lag! (I'm talking HD footage)

What's your scoop on Gigabit and/or Cat6 Ethernet cables?
--

Wolfmight
09-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Actually, the transfer speeds are not exactly a gig a second. I had a feeling it wouldn't be, but my 1000mbps NIC cards just came in and I have them all hook up now. The transfer speed is faster, but nothing near a gig a second. I hear the hardrive speeds can't keep up with the LAN, so it tends to go at rather a 10%-18% overal useage of the LAN's speed when transfering files. Blasted hardrives are keeping us from our speed.

Example:
A dual 4ghz CPUs system with 3gb DDR3 Ram and the fastest graphics card on the market...but that dam hardrive still has to looooaaa........aaaaa......a.a.a.....a.aaa....ad your software.

Dont you just hate laaaaaa.a.a.a.A.a.a.aaaa?aa.a_a.a.a.ag?
We need 500GB+ Memory drives that store data and prevent fragmentation...as well as the 100,000rpm estimation speed of "if-it-were-disk"

...yea I'm half asleep and it's 12:24 am. goodnight............

:schnauz: < bush jr's lil smirk.... what a butthole frukin shizer

Virtualbody1234
09-03-2005, 01:55 PM
10 to 18% you say? Hmmm.

I think it's more like 1 gigabit isn't 1 gigabyte. Transfer speeds should be 1/8 of a GB per second. It just happens that 1/8 is 12.5%. :lol:

Nothing to do with your HDD.

Busyman
09-03-2005, 02:30 PM
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4643/33124020029mv.jpg
Yea, I know it's a switch, but I got it $30 cheaper than newegg's price at CompUSA. Sets up quick with automation and is much faster than my old router. Not to worry about a firewall, my other router didn't have one either...but my DSL modem has always had a good one since it was made this year.
Who here uses a Gigabit Router or Switch with Cat6 (or 5e) cables and the 1000mbps NICs? I just got a Gigabit Switch and it freakin rules! I can view high quality footage located on another machine without that blasted lag! (I'm talking HD footage)

What's your scoop on Gigabit and/or Cat6 Ethernet cables?
--
Waste of money unless your old stuff is messed up or or just starting out. :ermm:

Wolfmight
09-03-2005, 05:01 PM
My old stuff burnt up. I basically payed just a little more than "my old one" cost back then. No big deal.

I do notice my Internet connection speed is abnormally high sometimes. Normally I get 300-370kb/s, but there are sometimes when I get 400 or even 500kb/s for about 20 seconds! What causes that? My ISP says their giving me 3000kbs down, but maybe they give me extra bandwidth during low traffic times.

Busyman
09-03-2005, 05:24 PM
My old stuff burnt up. I basically payed just a little more than "my old one" cost back then. No big deal.
Agreed. I went from a b to an extreme g router 'cause my old one was screwing up. I haven't noticed a speed increase though.