PDA

View Full Version : Port forwarding... can't seem to make it work

sammydee
09-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Right I have tried time and time aqain to get port forwarding to work on my router/modem setup but it just doesn't.

I have a network at home with a couple of pcs on it. The pcs connect to a netgear RP614 router, which connects to a Creative "Broadband Blaster" DSL router.

The problem I have is that both modem and router function as a router. should I set up port forwarding on the router or the modem or both? Should the modem forward to the router or the host pc? Should I turn off nat on my modem and let the router deal with it?

How do I do this?

Thanks, Sam

Wolfmight
09-01-2005, 09:13 PM
http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

sammydee
09-01-2005, 09:22 PM
I've already been to portforward.com and looked all over but I can't make it work. I configured my router exactly as it said and it didn't have my DSL modem on there but I configured that with the right ports too and it still gives me a timeout on the shareaza connection test. I have no software firewalls running... what is going on?

lynx
09-02-2005, 01:25 AM
Your Creative modem is already acting as a router, you didn't need the netgear router as well.

If possible, turn off the routing function on the netgear router, so that it simply acts as a switch. If that's not possible, turn off the routing function of the modem so that it just acts as a router.

If you can't do either, you could try making the modem see the netgear router as a DMZ. That should push traffic to all unspecified addresses to the netgear router, which is just how it would appear if the modem was not acting as a router.

If you still can't get it to work, consider replacing the netgear router with a switch.

Edit: get a firewall.

Wolfmight
09-02-2005, 11:18 PM
I have a DSL modem that also requires port fowarding. You probably need to port foward on both your modem and router maybe. I have a 2wire modem that was a little tricky to port foward on at first, but not I have it down pretty good. If you have a 2wire modem, let me know and I'll tell ya how to port foward on it.

sammydee
09-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Sorted it!

The modem used NAT to talk to the router and the router used NAT to talk to the rest of the network. Between the modem and router was a separate private network. I forwarded the ports from the modem to the external router address, then from the router to the pc ip address. It works now!

Thanks, Sam