PDA

View Full Version : Almost 1000 Dead In Stampede In Iraq

Busyman
09-02-2005, 02:02 AM
Iraq stampede deaths near 1,000

Almost 1,000 people are known to have died in a stampede of Shia pilgrims in northern Baghdad, Iraqi health officials have said.
So far, there have been at least 965 confirmed deaths, making the incident the single biggest loss of Iraqi life since the US-led invasion in 2003.

The incident happened on a river bridge as about a million Shias marched to a shrine for a religious festival.

Witnesses said panic spread over rumours of suicide bombers.

Radical Sunni groups have often targeted Shias in the past, but Iraqi officials said the tragedy had nothing to do with sectarian tension.

Many victims, mostly women, children or elderly, were crushed or drowned.
Wtf??!!

The stampede killed more than any single attack there. :huh:
Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4199618.stm)

Formula1
09-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Im not trying to sound like an asshole, but why the fuck would 1000 people gather in a ceremony without worrying about a terrorist attack happening, in the first place.... ?

j2k4
09-02-2005, 02:22 AM
I'd bet the tragedy could have been avoided by the timely deployment of an American aircraft carrier and water-purification equipment (but only if it was diesel-powered).

In any case, the U.N. ought to denounce the U.S. for it's major role in this horrific event, force it to abide the Kyoto accords, and perhaps a resolution calling for the head of George Bush to be served on a platter at the Hague?

Everose
09-02-2005, 03:06 AM
I have been reading about this today, Busy. Horrible. :( My heart goes out to those people.

Busyman
09-02-2005, 05:34 AM
I'd bet the tragedy could have been avoided by the timely deployment of an American aircraft carrier and water-purification equipment (but only if it was diesel-powered).

In any case, the U.N. ought to denounce the U.S. for it's major role in this horrific event, force it to abide the Kyoto accords, and perhaps a resolution calling for the head of George Bush to be served on a platter at the Hague?
:blink:

Wrong thread haws. Move over one. Mmk? Thanks? :huh:

whypikonme
09-02-2005, 06:16 AM
Im not trying to sound like an asshole, but why the fuck would 1000 people gather in a ceremony without worrying about a terrorist attack happening, in the first place.... ?

They probably thought the military might of the world's only superpower could protect them.

Peerzy
09-02-2005, 08:28 AM
It was a religious gathering, not really sure on the details but it's something they do every year or month or week or something.

Most of Americas important people all work in one building. The American (and part of the world) economy and thousands of people worked in two certain building which arn't here anymore.

cpt_azad
09-02-2005, 10:08 AM

WTF??? :unsure::blink:. go easy on the hash :mellow:.

1000 deaths caused by a stampede of people is just ridiculous. Who's idea was it to march in a million people and not expect trouble??

Peerzy
09-02-2005, 10:18 AM
The religion which was created a couple of billion years ago. Obvioulsy they hadn't counted on America pissing off the middle east and causing the number of suicide bombings to increase by massive ammounts.

JPaul
09-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Good to see people expressing their sympathy at such a tragedy, rather than use it as a chance to take shots at the USA.

maebach
09-03-2005, 03:53 AM
Good to see people expressing their sympathy at such a tragedy, rather than use it as a chance to take shots at the USA.

thanks for reminding us JP. I feel sorry because it says mostly women, children and old people. But, Long live Bush!

(that was sarcasm[the bush part])

JunkBarMan
09-08-2005, 08:47 PM

Everything that happens today is the fault of America.

Just like the freaking hurricane topic, any chance to take a shot.

What happened here is very horrible, and my heart goes out to all those families who lost loved ones.

GepperRankins
09-09-2005, 11:36 PM
The religion which was created a couple of billion years ago. Obvioulsy they hadn't counted on America pissing off the middle east and causing the number of suicide bombings to increase by massive ammounts.
~1600 years :ermm:

anyway, this never would have happened under saddam :snooty:

DanB
09-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Everything that happens today is the fault of America.

I agree :schnauz: