PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft unveils Freeze Dry for Windows Vista

tesco
09-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Windows Vista will include a new technology known as Freeze Dry designed to maintain application states and unsaved documents even when patches are automatically applied and PCs are rebooted. Speaking at the Australian Tech Ed conference on the Gold Coast in Queensland this week, senior product manager Amy Stephan offered a preview of the Freeze Dry technology.

Many IT managers plan to automatically install patches and updates on machines during periods when they are inactive, such as overnight or on weekends. However, as some patches require machines to reboot, users who leave documents open and unsaved run the risk of losing that data if the machine is automatically updated. Freeze Dry eliminates that problem by automatically saving application state and documents and then restoring them once the system restarts, Stephan said.

:source: Source: ZDNet AU (http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Microsoft_unveils_Freeze_Dry_for_Windows_Vista/0,2000061733,39209647,00.htm) | Neowin.net (http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=30195&category=main)

BawA
09-03-2005, 11:43 AM
looks promising, if this applies to sudden crash(not power lost) situation it would much better but i doubt it.

tesco
09-03-2005, 02:49 PM
looks promising, if this applies to sudden crash(not power lost) situation it would much better but i doubt it.
Ya that would be rgeat, but either way it's still good. :)

Go to windows update, it asks you to restart, you click yes and after it's done all your things are still open. :D

peat moss
09-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I liked this quote :

The software giant isn't the first company to try and grab the Freeze Dry name. In 1999, Hewlett-Packard released a Java compression technology called FreezeDry, and took out a US trademark on the name. However, the technology failed to attract widespread attention, and HP let the trademark lapse in July 2002.

Typical of the silicon valley pirates . :D It does sound like a great idea tho , I'm sure we 'll see alot more goodies in the coming months with beta2 just around the corner .

|F1|
09-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Go to windows update, it asks you to restart, you click yes and after it's done all your things are still open. :D

Finally:dry:

BawA
09-03-2005, 04:22 PM

but wont that make startup much slower, imagine if u had kazaa, azures and some big resours killer apps open and on the boot up windows will call all of them, it would be like u enable all programs on starup. BUT if they use technic such as Hibernate it would be great.

tesco
09-03-2005, 04:59 PM

but wont that make startup much slower, imagine if u had kazaa, azures and some big resours killer apps open and on the boot up windows will call all of them, it would be like u enable all programs on starup. BUT if they use technic such as Hibernate it would be great.
Ya I would think they would do it like how hibernate works...

It would be enat if they figured out a way to just make all the drivers and required services restart without even leaving windows. :)