PDA

View Full Version : Bad video card? What's this mean...

Hairbautt
09-03-2005, 05:21 AM
:cry:
Seems like Doom III, Brothers-in-Arms, Jedi Knight games & Starship Troopers demo all make my machine go boom. :pinch:

I can't explain it, its wierd & I've tried to research it but...meh... :ermm:

First Person Shooters seem to fail me. :lookaroun After 5 minutes or so of playing my graphics become corrupt, distorted, blah. Like so:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/Hairbautt/mess.jpg
Its like I'm 'noclipping' through walls, but I'm not. I'm just playing then this all of a sudden happens & lags my game & I just can't even see.

When I goto menu everything is fine, but when I return its all, :sick: again.

A simple restart seems to work for a couple of minutes er...hours I guess, but its still reoccurring.

Do I have a bad card er what? Its a 6600 GT agp x4 :ermm:

EDIT: I also get lock-ups then it goes to a blue screen saying nv4_disp got stuck in a infinite loop.

clocker
09-03-2005, 01:40 PM
I would look to your drivers or possibly, the PSU.

If you updated the drivers recently, you could try rolling back.
If you haven't, try the new drivers.

You could power the card with a test PSU,removing it from your PC's supply.
If that helps, upgrade your PSU.

Could be a heat issue, how does your machine run with the sidepanels removed?

Have you tried anything else?

Hairbautt
09-03-2005, 03:59 PM
What I've tried: I installed the card with the CD, so the original drivers WERE there, but then this happened so I looked for updated ones & I got 71.12 (or w/e), 77.77 & now TODAY 78.01 is released. So I'm currently running the latest. I don't really wanna roll back because the original drivers from the CD didn't work so...if I rollback farther than that I gotta feeling it ain't gonna work period.

Second thing I just did this today. Opened her up removed card & reinstalled. I also removed a PCI card & placed it at the bottom so it can get 'more air'. So far so good, but I havn't really played much.

Third thing I MIGHT do is disabling my Floppy A: drive since it maybe a power issue...but I also have another 512 MB RAM on the way...so...

clocker
09-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Third thing I MIGHT do is disabling my Floppy A: drive since it maybe a power issue...but I also have another 512 MB RAM on the way...so...
Unplugging the floppy tells you nothing.
You need to feed the vid card independent of your case supply and see if that helps.

More RAM might make a difference...worth a shot.

Virtualbody1234
09-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Seems like an overheating problem.

Is the fan on the video card spinning?
Is the heatsink clean?
Is the case well ventilated?

Hairbautt
09-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Heat sink is clean, fans are spinning I've checked. Is it well ventilated?...I dunno its a dell dimension case.

lynx
09-03-2005, 10:29 PM
its a dell dimension case.It is probably overheating AND short of power.

All mainstream manufacturers keep costs down by setting the cooling and the power so that they are just sufficient. If you've upgraded the graphics card you probably need to upgrade the cooling and the PSU too.

Hairbautt
09-03-2005, 10:37 PM
I've checked the Dell forums alotta people with 4550 have purchased the 6600 GT, but it was said that the AVERAGE PS was 250W & the card req. 300W, but no one seems to be complaining.

Oh! Another thing! How can I play B4ME (The Battle for Middle-Earth) for 4 hours+ & not have it burn, crash, die & goto hell? Why is it only FPS...? B4ME DOES req. alotta card power & I run it at High settings. (not ultra high though, the black gate gets laggy)

TheRealDave
09-04-2005, 12:33 AM
I've checked the Dell forums alotta people with 4550 have purchased the 6600 GT, but it was said that the AVERAGE PS was 250W & the card req. 300W, but no one seems to be complaining.

Oh! Another thing! How can I play B4ME (The Battle for Middle-Earth) for 4 hours+ & not have it burn, crash, die & goto hell? Why is it only FPS...? B4ME DOES req. alotta card power & I run it at High settings. (not ultra high though, the black gate gets laggy)

FPSs seem to need more of the GPU then other games. Especially newer ones like you mentioned before. Which causes the GPU to create more heat/need more power and start showing the artifacts that you posted.

Smith
09-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Im gonna take a guess and say your over heating....

Download speedfan and run it. Post your temps for:

-when your running the game
-and when your idling

Download link (http://www.almico.com/speedfan425.exe)

Hairbautt
09-04-2005, 03:59 AM
FPSs seem to need more of the GPU then other games.
Yeah I figured B4ME would be the same as a FPS, but I dunno... :blink:

-and when your idling

Will do. Thanks for all help. :)

EDIT: Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel 82801DB ICH4 SMBUS at $DC80
Found nVidia GeForce 6600 GT
Linked nVidiaI2C0 SMBUS at $3D403E3F
Linked nVidiaI2C1 SMBUS at $3D403637
Linked nVidiaI2C2 SMBUS at $3D405051
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=LPC47m10x
Sensor's Base Address : $0C00
Scanning Intel SMBus at $DC80...
Address $30 appears to be WRITE ONLY...
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403E3F...
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403637...
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D405051...
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found WDC WD600BB-75CAA0 (60.0GB)
End of detection
Error loading event -->
CfgVersion=01.0001
EventsVersion=01.0001
Loaded 0 events

That's all I get. I can monitor two fans & thats it. The temp. thing didn't automatically set & the help thing doesn't say how to or give troubleshooting.

Monkeee
09-04-2005, 05:08 AM
What company 6600GT do you have?

Hairbautt
09-04-2005, 11:23 AM
PNY Vertgo
----------
EDIT:
So I'm currently running the latest. I don't really wanna roll back because the original drivers from the CD didn't work so...
Scratch that I'm running 66.93, with the 78.01 I couldn't play for one minute I'd get a blue screen. So I totally deleted all video drivers & went back to the earliest possible drivers (66.93) so far a got through two levels of Brothers-in-arms.
:unsure: Is this the end of bluescreen loops? :rolleyes: I can only hope.
:pinch: Hopefully when I moved my PCI cards so the AGP can breathe more, that'll fix distortion.

Smith
09-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah I figured B4ME would be the same as a FPS, but I dunno... :blink:

-and when your idling

Will do. Thanks for all help. :)

EDIT: Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel 82801DB ICH4 SMBUS at $DC80
Found nVidia GeForce 6600 GT
Linked nVidiaI2C0 SMBUS at $3D403E3F
Linked nVidiaI2C1 SMBUS at $3D403637
Linked nVidiaI2C2 SMBUS at $3D405051
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=LPC47m10x
Sensor's Base Address : $0C00
Scanning Intel SMBus at $DC80...
Address $30 appears to be WRITE ONLY...
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403E3F...
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403637...
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D405051...
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found WDC WD600BB-75CAA0 (60.0GB)
End of detection
Error loading event -->
CfgVersion=01.0001
EventsVersion=01.0001
Loaded 0 events

That's all I get. I can monitor two fans & thats it. The temp. thing didn't automatically set & the help thing doesn't say how to or give troubleshooting.

lol you didnt post the temps :P

Look in the spot i have pointed to and tell us what it says when it idling(normal programs running at desktop) and when your running the game :)

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/172/speedfan7mw.jpg

Hairbautt
09-04-2005, 05:33 PM
That's what I'm saying its not there.

EDIT: LMAO.. :O ..I just did something really dumb :happy: , but its the only way I could tell...So its been idling for 3 hours now & I opened her up & touched the graphics card :01: (the box part where fan is) it was a little warm nothing hot. :D

Smith
09-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Well that means two things. Your grafics card is prolly not over heating...any you have no heat sensors :pinch:

lynx
09-05-2005, 12:41 AM
LMAO.. :O ..I just did something really dumb :happy: , but its the only way I could tell...So its been idling for 3 hours now & I opened her up & touched the graphics card :01: (the box part where fan is) it was a little warm nothing hot. :D
Tell me, when you've been sitting watching the TV for a couple of hours, is your forehead hot if someone put's their hand on it? I think not.

Now go outside and jog around for just a few minutes and get them to check again.

Now go outside and run around hard for a few minutes and get them to check again.

Now do the same in a sauna.

I won't bother telling you to check the temp, you are probably dead. Surprisingly, your graphics card seems to have survived.

Hairbautt
09-05-2005, 02:08 AM
...What? :blink:

Oh, I didn't post I felt it after a hour of gameplay & after 3 hours of idling...forgot to post that I don't know why. :pinch:

Nice form of sarcasm... :shutup: