PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Drivers

amphoteric88
04-13-2003, 10:29 PM
Please help me, i was trying to get doom3 to work yesterday, and i tried installing older nvidia drivers for my graphics card (GeForce 3Ti200), because david88, a member here, said he could get it to work with older drivers.
I tried installing a few older versions and none of them worked, so i installed the 43.45 drivers again. However, when i restarted my system, there were NO nvidia drivers installed. Now, it won't let me remove the drivers in add/remove programs and it won't let me install the drivers. i've tried 43.45, 43.51, 42.68, 42.30 and 41.09. none of them work
Please tell me i don't need to reinstall windows
Thanks in advance for any advice

Jg427
04-14-2003, 12:57 AM
You can change drivers in device manager>display adaptors> your adaptor>properties>driver tab. First try roll back to previous driver.

phalkon30
04-14-2003, 03:35 AM
I had a similar problem

There is a program called Nasty File Remover, its not made by Nvidia, but is made to remove the files detonator drivers install, it searchs and allows you to find/delete nvidia files, all of them, I'd recommend running it in safe mode to get rid of all the files, windows locks them otherwise

http://www.etplanet.com/download/ati_nvidi...over)%200.6.exe (http://www.etplanet.com/download/ati_nvidia/NFR%20(Nasty%20File%20Remover)%200.6.exe) is a dirrect download, or visit http://www.etplanet.com/download/ati_nvidia.shtm to find it and similar programs

Trust me, it works great, I'd give you the developers site, but he removed his site in protest of the war :(

amphoteric88
04-14-2003, 10:59 AM
ok, thanks for the help guys, but i'm still having the problem.
When i went into device manager, there was no mention of display adaptors :o I don't know why this should be.
i had actually tried using both nfr and detonator rip before, but i never tried them in safe mode. the problem with nfr is that it only finds the nvidia files that are associated with my motherboard (asus a7n8x (nVidia nForce 2)), so i'd rather not delete those nVidia files :P
thanks in advance for any more help

CornerPocket
04-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Suggest you try using the Nvidia (http://www.nvidia.com/) driver ver. 23.11. That driver seemed to be of high use to run with Doom 3. This is a Nvidia driver, not detonator driver. Since you have no record of a video card listed (device manager), perhaps using the "Add New Hardware' feature is called for. Get the driver, install and see if it picks up the card.

btw, what OS are you using?...and have you checked to see that you have the most recent version of DirectX (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx) for your system?

Rocktron
04-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by amphoteric88@13 April 2003 - 23:29
Please help me, i was trying to get doom3 to work yesterday, and i tried installing older nvidia drivers for my graphics card (GeForce 3Ti200), because david88, a member here, said he could get it to work with older drivers.
I tried installing a few older versions and none of them worked, so i installed the 43.45 drivers again. However, when i restarted my system, there were NO nvidia drivers installed. Now, it won't let me remove the drivers in add/remove programs and it won't let me install the drivers. i've tried 43.45, 43.51, 42.68, 42.30 and 41.09. none of them work
Please tell me i don't need to reinstall windows
Thanks in advance for any advice
I downloaded a new version from the official Nvidia site here! (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=drivers)
It's 17mb big! It is called: 431.45_win9x_international.exe

It worked for my Asus AGP v6800 DDR SGRAM card. Only i couldn't find the TV OUT (switch) option anymore... so uninstalled it again!
I needed it for the game "The Thing"

Hope it helps!

Schmiggy_JK23
04-14-2003, 03:56 PM
I would go with the latest whql certified by microsoft.

I am using the latest detonator drivers also from nvidia, the 43.xx what ever they are... but the 42.xx some, that have also been certified by microsoft, seem to have less "issues" then the newer ones, or non whql certified ones.

Just uninstall your drivers... reboot, and windows xp, assuming you have that, should install the lastest whql nvidia drivers.

if it doesnt, hit up windows update, and you can get them there.

amphoteric88
04-14-2003, 10:30 PM
sorry for the delay in response, been quite busy today
i'll try and go through the replies in chronological order.
corner pocket, i have windows xp home, and direct x9. i can't find 23.11 drivers on the nvidia site, so i'm gonna install the 28.84 version, just downloading them now.
rocktron, i tried using those drivers but they wouldn't install
schmiggy jk23, i can't actually uninstall my current drivers, cos xp doesn't think i have any
thanks for the help guys, i hope these drivers will sort it out

phalkon30
04-15-2003, 01:33 AM
Here's a quick thought, do you have system restore on?

Try setting that back to the last time drivers worked

Also, think you could get the exact error message? it *could* be as simple as removing it from a list in windows

CornerPocket
04-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by amphoteric88@14 April 2003 - 17:30
sorry for the delay in response, been quite busy today
i'll try and go through the replies in chronological order.
corner pocket, i have windows xp home, and direct x9. i can't find 23.11 drivers on the nvidia site, so i'm gonna install the 28.84 version, just downloading them now.

Try this site, not all written in English but you can view the vid card models, OS versions and driver ver.

http://www.daytona.ru/download.htm

amphoteric88
04-15-2003, 02:21 PM
i've tried using system restore a couple of times, however it won't allow me to restore the system back to an earlier point. i have no idea why, but when i try to restore, xp goes through the process, however when the system restarts, an error message comes up saying the system could not be restored.
i downloaded those drivers from the russian site, corner pocket, however the same problem persists. they kid me on they're installing, but they don't actually install.
i'm sorry to be such a problem to you guys, i think i may just have to reinstall xp after all. thanks for all your help

Rocktron
04-15-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by amphoteric88@15 April 2003 - 15:21
i've tried using system restore a couple of times, however it won't allow me to restore the system back to an earlier point. i have no idea why, but when i try to restore, xp goes through the process, however when the system restarts, an error message comes up saying the system could not be restored.
i downloaded those drivers from the russian site, corner pocket, however the same problem persists. they kid me on they're installing, but they don't actually install.
i'm sorry to be such a problem to you guys, i think i may just have to reinstall xp after all. thanks for all your help
I just think it's indeed time for the unavoidable... a Format c: and a fresh install. Solves all the problems.
From scratch! :(

And don't apologize to any of us.. we are here to help if we can. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't! :o

Good luck with your new installation!

CornerPocket
04-15-2003, 05:30 PM
Right Click on Desktop> go to Properties> Settings> near the bottom, what appears under the word 'Display'? Should say something like: plug-n-play monitor on xxxxxx xxxxx (xxx referring to video card). If nothing, then perhaps you should try the following:
1. Use the Nasty File Remover (NFR) provided by phalkon30 - remove all files it finds regardless of it being for the display or mobo chipset, it may very well be the issue.
2. Install the video drivers you want to use
3. Close XP and shut down pc.
4. Remove video card and reseat in the agp slot.
5. Reboot and see what the system finds and allow to install drivers found.

Try this before resorting to the last thing and thats reformat and starting all over. ;)

amphoteric88
04-15-2003, 06:24 PM
when i go to properties and settings, it shows "(Default Monitor) on"
i fear this is the problem. maybe the problem lies in xp not detecting my monitor correctly, rather than my graphics card. is this possible?
when i tried using nfr and deleting the files, it wouldn't let me delete the files that appeared.
i tried reseating the video card, but no prompts came up after the restart and xp didn't detect any new hardware.
i'm still getting the problem in the add hardware wizard that it does not list my graphics card in the add display adaptors wizard. the only listed video cards are by ati, there are no nvidia ones listed

phalkon30
04-15-2003, 09:29 PM
I doubt its your monitor

NFR says it has not deleted the files, but check the recycle bin (or wherever you sent them), I bet you the files will be there, if you do it in safe mode anyway...

Did your card come with a factory disk? I'd try reinstalling from the cd that came with the card, see if it allows you to do that, I know ASUS does some extra things with their cards

One other thing, the reason you don't see nvidia drivers could be because you've deleted them with NFR (again, I think in translation to english, it lies to you)

amphoteric88
04-15-2003, 10:34 PM
i went back into safe mode and did another scan with nfr. this time it found a windows 2000 driver version 28.84 dll file. i deleted it completely, but it still wouldn't let me install the drivers.
when i went into device manager, there was a yellow exclamation mark beside NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
does this mean anything to anyone and could this be the problem?
also, this probably means nothing, but when i go to shutdown in xp, the "standby" option is not available. as i said, this is probably nothing, but it's little details like these that experts can identify

davinda
04-16-2003, 12:37 AM
I had the same problem, got it sorted by 'add new hardware' then let windows find a suitable driver online, once installed you can then upgrade, good luck. ;)

phalkon30
04-17-2003, 07:04 PM
Well, yes, you need that driver, its what tells the rest of your motherboard what the video card is doing, if you can find the driver file on your factory cd, then you should be ok, just use the add new hardware function like davinda said

I'm starting to think there is some miscomunication here, it sounds like you have drivers for your video card, but not your agp chipset

Also, the Detonator drivers are more than just drivers, they are utilitys, and I think the utilitys are still there, and keeping you from installing something new

So, right click on your desktop, then go to settings, then advanced, now there should be a 6th tab with the name of your video card, under this tab should be a bunch of options, if you have this, then installing detonator drivers will not do anything, as the AGP driver is completely separate

Are you actually having problems running programs or games? or is it just installing new drivers, you may be stuck with these drivers

amphoteric88
04-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Ok, the problem is now solved (woohoo!). However, it wasn't exactly quick and painless. firstly, i had to try repairing xp. this fixed the display problem, but the modem didn't work. i was getting an error saying the internet signup file was corrupted. so i took it to my local computer shop, who just said to format and reinstall. so i just gave in and formatted it. this was the first time i ever formatted or installed an operating system from scratch and was impressed at just how easy it was. now, there are no problems with any of my hardware, and i am slightly more happy then i was.
the only problem now is trying to reinstall all the software and media i backed up. this could take a long time... :D

phalkon30
04-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I was getting ready to tell you a reformat was in order, but thats a last resort type thing, oh well, its working

Reformating isn't as bad as it sounds, but you've found the worst part, reinstalling all the software, I hope you made backups! :)

amphoteric88
04-18-2003, 12:48 AM
yeah, i made up backups of pretty much everything. the worst thing to get back is all the updates for xp. i think there's 34 of them, and i'm on dialup too. it's probably gonna take me a couple of days just to get the updates :(
it's nice to have a clean install anyway, gets rid of a lot of the stuff that builds up. plus the comp is running noticably faster now too

phalkon30
04-18-2003, 01:32 AM
I belive somewhere you can order a cd with all microsoft updates on it, but I can't seem to find it on the MS site, you may be stuck with downloading

One thing I found that helped, download SP1, then download from there, SP1 took care of the a lot of the other patches available, IE also had a few service packs I think, download them first

Skip .net and the windows journal viewer, thats around 30 meg you don't need, also directx and WMP aren't needed most of the time, those are huge

amphoteric88
04-18-2003, 03:27 AM
i've been having a bit of a prob getting sp1 now. the size of the sp1 file i need to dl is around 34Meg. doesn't sound too big, but i'm on dialup. 34 meg is just over 2 hours on my dialup, however, the isp i'm with (freeserve) have decided to put 2 hour limits on their dialup accounts. therefore the dl cuts out right at the end when my connection goes down. after i reconnect, i try to resume the dl of sp1, however, it just goes right back to the start of the dl. this is a bit of a prob, i might just have to get the required file from someone with adsl. if only the file was a couple of meg smaller... :(

phalkon30
04-18-2003, 04:47 AM
Well, there is the full 133meg version of SP1 available from their site, you could use something like flashget to resume the download

Does it shut down after an idle 2hrs? because there are ways to keep a connection active

amphoteric88
04-18-2003, 05:25 AM
the freeserve connection shuts down after two hours no matter what you're doing. it's just a measure by freeserve to stop people downloading large files (just like in this case). i saw the huge version on download.com
i don't know whether to get it myself and use a manager like you suggested, or just to ask someone who lives close by with adsl to get it for me (if you're listening tc... :P )