PDA

View Full Version : Soccer World rankings

peat moss
09-04-2005, 08:47 PM
How do the powers that be rate countries ? I see the Usa and Mexico ranked pretty high , seems like BS to me .

http://146.145.120.3/default.asp?c=torstar&page=soc-cup/stat/SOCCER-POLL.htm

manker
09-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Since America and Mexico are in the CONCACAF world qualifying group, they get games against easier opposition than European, or S. American, countries. Therefore they win more and get more ranking points.

You do get more ranking points if you beat a team like France or the Netherlands but the system is flawed because you can only get points by beating or drawing against a team - if you play a high standard of opposition all of the time, you're much more likely not to win or draw many matches.

You're right, the system is pretty much BS - for example, there is no way in the world that USA have a better team than England.

peat moss
09-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Thats what I thought manker, because the Canadian team is ranked very low but gives both those teams a run for their money . They should think up a better system mabey ,but the American's probably use to their advantage in funding for example . Which In my mind is fine to build up the sport .

manker
09-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Canada are in the CONCACAF too. Their ranking is properly comparable to that of the USA and Mexico.

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/1042/dabs2ol.gif

Cheese
09-04-2005, 11:12 PM
That one is out of date. Here is a more up to date one: http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/news/fifa.html

1 Brazil
2 Argentina
3 Netherlands
4 Czech Republic
5 Mexico
6 USA
7 England
8 Spain
9 France
9 Portugal

11 Germany
12 Turkey
13 Italy
14 Republic of Ireland
15 Iran
15 Sweden
17 Japan
18 Greece
18 Denmark
20 Croatia

21 Costa Rica
22 Poland
23 Korea Republic
24 Colombia
25 Uruguay
26 Egypt
27 Saudi Arabia
28 Cameroon
29 Russia
30 Nigeria

31 Tunisia
31 Romania
33 Ecuador
34 Morocco
35 Paraguay
36 Norway
36 Ukraine
38 South Africa
39 Honduras
40 Senegal

peat moss
09-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Thanks withcheese, I guess that makes sense why Costa Rica and Honduras are rated higher than say Scotland , because their in the same CONCACAF div.

Peerzy
09-05-2005, 08:14 AM
The top 4 are fine, Brazil & Argentina will always be in the top 5 or so because they are such large countries and produce so many footballers that sooner or later they'll get a good one.

Both the Netherlands and Czech Republic are having a good run in football terms, they are produced some good players over the past 5-10 years and have yet more comin through. Tomas Rosicky for the Czech is a great player and as he's young im sure he'll get much better. They also have one of the best keepers in the world with Petr Cech and Nedved (although he's getting a bit older now) and for some reason Milan Baros is always on fire for his nation but looks like shyte for Liverpool, i wonder if it was just Liverpool now that he's moved to Villa.

Holland have RVN who's a great finisher, Robben who's one of the best up and coming players in the world and Van Der Sar is still a pretty good keeper, but again he's getting old.

After the top 4 it starts getting all fucked. I think Spain and France should be able England and Mexico after us and USA like 20th.

{I}{K}{E}
09-05-2005, 08:30 AM
nr.3 :01:

we haven't lost a game since the EC 2004

France isnt that good anymore. I think they won't qualify for WC 2006

1 Brazil 837
2 Argentina 782
3 Netherlands 780
4 Czech Republic 777
5 Mexico 770
6 USA 768
7 England 743
8 Spain 739
9 France 737
9 Portugal 737

2,3 and 4 are really close in points.

if we win next wednesday I think we will be second. (dunno how often fifa updates their ranking)

Cheese
09-05-2005, 08:35 AM
France isnt that good anymore. I think they won't qualified for WC 2006

I agree, I just wrote out a post about it but then my PC died:angry:

Holland seem to be doing good though, maybe they're finally worthy of joining the World Cup Winners Club :snooty:

Peerzy
09-05-2005, 09:19 AM
If you look at France's group they have played 2 less games, if they win both of thier games they will be joint top of the group.

Mackelele & Zidane have also just come out of international retirement to help out. Although they arn't the force they once were i still think they'd give England a beating. Most of their big players are getting old. Vieri, Mackelele, Pires & Zidane are all 30+ (Well i think Vieri is just 30)

Hnery is still great but France have never had an amazing second striker to back him up. I would quite like to see Holland win teh world cup, with Robben scoring a hatrick in the final 5 minutes to beat Brazil 3-2 ofcourse :01:

JPaul
09-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks withcheese, I guess that makes sense why Costa Rica and Honduras are rated higher than say Scotland , because their in the same CONCACAF div.
No, they're rated higher than us because we've been shite for years.

Things may be getting better tho'.

Peerzy
09-05-2005, 10:20 AM

Yup, mighty fine game you gave the Italiens i heard :01:

manker
09-05-2005, 12:25 PM
if we win next wednesday I think we will be second. (dunno how often fifa updates their ranking)I think they update using the same correlation ratios as Audioscrobbler.

===

Btw, I don't think Holland will win teh World Cup - their team spirit always seems to suck so that when things go against them, they've no bottle to grind out results.

I see nothing to indicate that this current crop of talented individuals is any different.

Cheese
09-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Does the world rankings affect the seedings for the groups in the upcoming World Cup? Or will they seed the teams based on their actual ability?

And why the feck did Brazil have to qualify for the World Cup, they're the freakin' holders.:angry:

manker
09-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Does the world rankings affect the seedings for the groups in the upcoming World Cup? Or will they seed the teams based on their actual ability?

And why the feck did Brazil have to qualify for the World Cup, they're the freakin' holders.:angry:Basically they use the seedings only to rank the teams from the same continents. Each group, to qualify for the next round, has to have at least one team from the CONCACAF or Africa, a team from Europe and a team from S. America or Asia. It's something like that anyway.

Then the holders cannot be in the same group as the hosts and the S. American teams have to be kept apart. So it's to do with the FIFA seedings, but not really :ermm:

As for Brazil having to qualify - it's bollocks, particularly after the Liverpool CL debacle.

JPaul
09-05-2005, 02:16 PM

Yup, mighty fine game you gave the Italiens i heard :01:
More a battling performance than silky skill.

However to get a draw against Italy in a serious game is a feckin' amazing result. W Smith was actually disappointed when they equalized which is what we want to see.

Smith, Burns and McCoist went mental when we scored the opener, it was great to see true passion for the team. Engerland may wish to emulate this in their next manager.

manker
09-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Since he's not got much experience in managing any side, let alone an international side, I think David Beckham is doing okay in deciding on the Engerland tactics and team selection.

JPaul
09-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Since he's not got much experience in managing any side, let alone an international side, I think David Beckham is doing okay in deciding on the Engerland tactics and team selection.
I think not, a lucky deflected goal against Wales (no offence manker) is little to crow about.

manker
09-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I think not, a lucky deflected goal against Wales (no offence manker) is little to crow about.None taken, of course.

It's odd how Toshack keeps banging on about a rebuilding policy but the only thing he's done is stop picking Savage - who is the best Welsh midfielder by a mile - in favour of random lower league Cockneys who know their Dad 'is from somewhere Welsh'.

Other than that personality clash, he's picking the only players he can. Eight players retired from International football when Sparky left for Blackburn :(

JPaul
09-05-2005, 06:49 PM
I think it's a pity that Savage isn't playing, good player and plenty of spunk about him.

Perhaps Toshack should have a wee word with him a la Roy Keane return to the Irish fold.

{I}{K}{E}
09-09-2005, 11:01 AM
FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking
OVERVIEW OF BASIC PRINCIPLES AND METHOD OF CALCULATION (http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/rank/procedures/0,2540,3,00.html)

{I}{K}{E}
09-14-2005, 08:34 PM
we are nr.2 :01:

1 Brazil 839
2 Netherlands 785
3 Argentina 778
4 Czech Republic 777

Rat Faced
09-14-2005, 09:31 PM

1 Brazil 839
2 Netherlands 785
3 Argentina 778
4 Czech Republic 777

I didnt realise that the under 5's were ranked :unsure:

maebach
09-14-2005, 10:01 PM

1 Brazil 839
2 Netherlands 785
3 Argentina 778
4 Czech Republic 777

I didn't know the czech were that good. :unsure: i just found out today that holland and netherlands are the same counrty.

Peerzy
09-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Czech are a good attacking team but don't really have a good defence. Same as Holland in a way, thats why the Czech V Holland Euro 2004 match was one of the best in the compatition. Holland were 2-0 up and the Czech came back to win it 2-3.

peat moss
09-14-2005, 11:21 PM

1 Brazil 839
2 Netherlands 785
3 Argentina 778
4 Czech Republic 777

I didn't know the czech were that good. :unsure: i just found out today that holland and netherlands are the same counrty.

I know same with me , Dutch , Orange, good team what ever thier called . One of my favorites, our youth team programs are designed after the Dutch model right down to oranges at half time . :)

maebach
09-14-2005, 11:34 PM

I know same with me , Dutch , Orange, good team what ever thier called . One of my favorites, our youth team programs are designed after the Dutch model right down to oranges at half time . :)

:lol: , the parents on our team stoppped bringing oranges to our games :cry: