PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Advice

ninjamonkey
09-05-2005, 06:15 AM
I gave a friend of mine a key to unlock DeadAIM and she got a message from the company (JDennis?) that owns it stating that they knew she used a serial and "piracy will not be tolerated" and that "*her screen name* has been logged". The message said to get a legitamate copy.

I know I shouldn't be worried, but I just feel guilty b/c I was the cause of all this. Is there anything to worry about?

Barbarossa
09-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Not for you! :)

Make sure you go and visit her in prison... ;)

Delorean
09-05-2005, 02:05 PM
I don't know how DEADAIM works but the only way to know is that:

The serial number is recorded to the internet every time you install it, with a user name registered(it could be with your knowledge or without)*. If that so then is your fault cuz you ought to know that somethin' like that would happen.

*with the use of a coukie or somethin' otherwise i can't figure out any other way..

Anyway just in case destroy the cd and try to uninstall it from her pc..

If i were you i would worry about my friend..

However, its a possibility that your friend is kidding you :D

If shes serious, well, do as Barbarossa said ;)

Virtualbody1234
09-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Use a good firewall to block outgoing communication whenever you install new software.

abu_has_the_power
09-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Use a good firewall to block outgoing communication whenever you install new software.

that is especially important when registering software from companies like adobe or sony or macromedia

or to be even safer, just pull ur internet connection :schnauz:

also, just use trillian. works so much better than deadaim

ninjamonkey
09-05-2005, 05:56 PM
haha. They can't get her address from her screen name.

I was just asking if you think anything is going to happen. They said her name had been logged but she can still get a registered copy.

Virtualbody1234
09-05-2005, 06:20 PM
If they have her screen name, then they have her IP.

ninjamonkey
09-05-2005, 06:34 PM
well, It's the university IP then.

Virtualbody1234
09-05-2005, 06:35 PM
well, It's the university IP then.
Good. Then there's nothing to worry about.

ninjamonkey
09-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Well, she did the serial while she was in her dorm. The screen name was registered at her house...many years ago.

But they are not going to pursue a lawsuit for a $5 program.

Wolfmight
09-05-2005, 06:49 PM
"IP Logging" is a scare tactic. I believe some adobe products will shut off the software on your computer if you allow the "serial check" to send to their server. A software firewall such as Zone Alarm can block that crap. No need for shutting down anyone's software.

There's software that requires you to confirm the serial or else it won't run, but a good ol crack can take care of that.

ninjamonkey
09-05-2005, 06:56 PM
So you think they were just trying to scare her?

DeadAIM wouldn't work today (I guess they logegd her sn to block it from conencting or something), but she uninstalled and now AIM works again.

And she backed up her buddy list just in case, as I told her to do.

ninjamonkey
09-08-2005, 03:29 AM
bump.

Her AIM seems to kick her off sometimes, but we don't know if it's related to this