PDA

View Full Version : Out of interest

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 10:39 AM
What would you expect to pay to have someone dig up your driveway (30ft long by 12 feet wide 4 inch deep) and relay it.
Pull up 30 2foot square slabs, prepare the ground an relay them.

Just interested in what some of you guys would expect to pay for this :)

Jonno :cool:

manker
09-08-2005, 10:41 AM
You'll get undercut by gypsies. They have no overheads so you can't compete with them.

Fecking gypsies.

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 10:46 AM
lol and what overheads do I have? :P

No I know how much people have quoted the guy but I've always wondered what people with no knowledge or little knowledge of these things would think something like that costs.
I used to undercut everyone and in a lot of cases do myself out of a fair bit of money, but thats cos I always felt guilty about it, especially old people. I been to jobs that have taken me maybe 1 day or less and people have been quoted several hundred quid for it when I've walked away with maybe £80 - £100.
I've also had people shocked by the cost of materials.

Just curious is all, the thought crossed my mind as I was working out cubic meterage into tonnage so I know how much stuff we want.

Barbarossa
There are no gypsies where I live so I would expect to pay £1750..

(which is why I haven't had it done)

Fecking gypsies.

EDIT: Sorry, to clarify, this was for digging up and taking away the old tarmac, preparing the surface and laying with little bricks in a criss-cross pattern...

Jon L. Obscene
£1750??

For what exactly? if you don't mind me asking.

Barbarossa
09-08-2005, 10:49 AM
£1750??

For what exactly? if you don't mind me asking.

Sorry, to clarify, this was for digging up and taking away the old tarmac, preparing the surface and laying with little bricks in a criss-cross pattern...

manker
09-08-2005, 10:53 AM
lol and what overheads do I have? More than they do. Gypsies steal their materials.

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Ah brickweaving, yeah little bit different. I take it that included materials?

Hmmm thats not a bad price.
Basing your drive on 30x12 I'd say £50 for sand, £160 for skip.......not sure how much bricks are altho depends on what you have but I would imagine about 65p each so you're paying probably a grand for labour, 2 guys 3-4 days, £100 each per day.
Yeah maybe a little high in retrospect. But thats complete guessing.

Where abouts are you? in a city , town or village?

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 10:54 AM
lol and what overheads do I have? More than they do. Gypsies steal their materials.

Who says I don't :shifty: I'm unemployed, I can legally do that now :lol:

Barbarossa
09-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Ah brickweaving, yeah little bit different. I take it that included materials?

Hmmm thats not a bad price.
Basing your drive on 30x12 I'd say £50 for sand, £160 for skip.......not sure how much bricks are altho depends on what you have but I would imagine about 65p each so you're paying probably a grand for labour, 2 guys 3-4 days, £100 each per day.
Yeah maybe a little high in retrospect. But thats complete guessing.

Where abouts are you? in a city , town or village?

Satellite town in South East England... :lookaroun

The gypsies in South Wales did a similar thing on my mother-in-laws drive (equivalent size) and only charged £1000.

Fecking gypsies.

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah but did the neighbours want their drive back? :lol:

Satellite town?.......erm...Isles of sky?........no thats north :frusty:

manker
09-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Satellite town in South East England... :lookaroun

The gypsies in South Wales did a similar thing on my mother-in-laws drive (equivalent size) and only charged £1000.

Fecking gypsies.
Your better half is Welsh?

Get her posting on this forum. We used to have another two Welsh people posting here (ck-uk and Robert0000000) but they were both idiots. FST needs some more Welsh pwnage :01:

Btw, Robert was later outed as being English, much to my relief.

Barbarossa
09-08-2005, 11:06 AM

Sorry! Town who's sole existence seems to be to provide commuters to London... :ermm:

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 11:06 AM
I got welsh blood :unsure:

In a jar :shifty:

Nah my grandfathers family are all welsh and devonshish :01:

Barbarossa
09-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Nah my grandfathers family are all welsh and devonshish :01:

That explains quite alot... :shifty:

Can you tile bathrooms? Tilers make a small fortune round here...

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Without blowing my own trumpet, I can do pretty much anything, tileing, roofing, carpentry, bricklaying, concreteing, plastering, slabbing, window/door fitting etc etc, general alrounder :)
The only job I used to turn down unless I was desperate was painting, fecking hate paintin :frusty:

Barbarossa
09-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Without blowing my own trumpet, I can do pretty much anything, tileing, roofing, carpentry, bricklaying, concreteing, plastering, slabbing, window/door fitting etc etc, general alrounder :)
The only job I used to turn down unless I was desperate was painting, fecking hate paintin :frusty:

Indeed, all of the above would be alot harder if you had to do them while blowing your own trumpet! :P

P.S. You forgot carpet-fitting... :rolleyes:

manker
09-08-2005, 11:24 AM

Sorry! Town who's sole existence seems to be to provide commuters to London... :ermm:
Do they have a bowl there.

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 11:25 AM
:lol: yeah I did, thats cos it's a wanky job and I prefer not to do it, but I can.....lino as well, well lets just say there's not much I can't do with reguards to property development and repairs.

I just don't enjoy it, does my head in :frusty:

Barbarossa
09-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Do they have a bowl there.

Nah, other side of London, near Gatwick Airport... :cool:

Barbarossa
09-08-2005, 11:28 AM
:lol: yeah I did, thats cos it's a wanky job and I prefer not to do it, but I can.....lino as well, well lets just say there's not much I can't do with reguards to property development and repairs.

I just don't enjoy it, does my head in :frusty:

I put coving up! :01:

I quite enjoyed it. (at first...) :lookaroun

manker
09-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Make a leaflet advertising your services on your PC. Print it out, get a shit load of copies and drop them thro' people's doors in your locality.

It's more productive than extolling your virtues on the interweb.

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 11:34 AM
@Barbie..... :lol: Yeah I love it when people say that, I used to get people (women mianly) say when I was creosoting "Ooo I love the smell of creosote"
I'd be like "Yeah well you try working with it all day for a few days and when you can't breath properly for a week come back and tell me you still love the smell" :lol:

Coving is a shit job too, I was always crap at internal/external angles, always confused me, same as making picture frames, I can do it well, just if I don't concentrate (which as you can imagine is most of the time) I make a lot of mistakes and end up with lots of waste :frusty:

@Manker.... Yeah I know, I could and might yet, but the building market here is already flooded, I'd have more chance doing the same but with puter repair, cos nobody round here knows anything about puters.
Hmmmm, you got me thinking now :pinch:

Barbarossa
09-08-2005, 11:34 AM
I don't think he wants alot of work. He doesn't like it.. :unsure:

Barbarossa
09-08-2005, 11:38 AM
I'd have more chance doing the same but with puter repair, cos nobody round here knows anything about puters.

It'd be a start if you referred to them as computers...

Nobody is going to respond to a flyer that says:

PUTER REPAIRS!!!

WELL CHEEP!!!

CALL JONNO!!!

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 11:39 AM
:lol: No I don't :lol:

Nah it's not that I'm not willing to work, it's just if I don't enjoy it I wont do a very good job, and I got right pissed off with building one way and another.

I wanna be a games tester.........or a taster for walkers :01:

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 11:39 AM
It'd be a start if you referred to them as computers...

Nobody is going to respond to a flyer that says:

PUTER REPAIRS!!!

WELL CHEEP!!!

CALL JONNO!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

crazy_billy_bats
09-08-2005, 11:46 AM
You'll get undercut by gypsies. They have no overheads so you can't compete with them.

Fecking gypsies.

Tell me about it. Once they stole my caravan.

Jon L. Obscene
09-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Well fuck me backwards with a barge pole :O

Billy!!! duuuuuuuuude, sup man :01:

manker
09-08-2005, 11:52 AM

Fecking gypsies.

Tell me about it. Once they stole my caravan.They probably saw you as competition :ermm:

crazy_billy_bats
09-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Well fuck me backwards with a barge pole :O

Billy!!! duuuuuuuuude, sup man :01:

That isnt who I think it is, is it? How goes it? Still an overweight closet-case trannie?

@Manker - Competetion to what? Stealing caravans? I already had my own!!