PDA

View Full Version : Embryo may soon be created from two women

Yoga
09-09-2005, 07:05 PM
LONDON - Britain has granted permission to scientists to create a human embryo with genetic material from two mothers, officials said.

Scientists from Britain's Newcastle University plan to transfer the pro-nuclei — the components of a nucleus of a human embryo — by a man and woman into an unfertilized egg from another woman to prevent mothers passing certain genetic diseases to their unborn babies.

The application was initially rejected because of legislation prohibiting the alteration of the genetic structure of a cell while it is forming part of an embryo, the Human Fertilization and Embryology Authority said in a statement Thursday. The authority is a government body that regulates fertility treatment and research.

The scientists eventually were given permission after reviewing the legislation.

The research could eventually lead to techniques that might prevent the transmission of genetic defects, researchers say.

"While the proposed technique has been found to be safe in animal embryos, it will be very important to determine whether it can safely be used in human eggs," university spokesman Mick Warwicker said.

No treatment exists for mitochondrial diseases, which arise from DNA outside the nucleus and are inherited separately from DNA in the nucleus.

The research does not involve human cloning. It would use normal IVF procedures, but before the sperm and egg fused, components would be implanted into a healthy female egg.

MSNBC

Yoga
09-09-2005, 07:09 PM
:p

Peerzy
09-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Proof Jonno needs a new job.

Santa
09-09-2005, 08:41 PM
i have lesbian friends who will find this information very very interesting. Almost beautiful.
The necesity of sperm donors and their "side effects" will be removed with this.
It is actually a very liberal scientific achievement.
on the other side yes i can imagine the fear in men but why worry dudes?

JPaul
09-09-2005, 08:44 PM
i have lesbian friends who will find this information very very interesting. Almost beautiful.
The necesity of sperm donors and their "side effects" will be removed with this.
It is actually a very liberal scientific achievement.
on the other side yes i can imagine the fear in men but why worry dudes?
I think you may misunderstand, or is it a mitochondrial rod, a rare creature indeed.

Santa
09-09-2005, 08:54 PM
whether it be a cytoplasm of nearly all eukaryotic cells or simply a rod my former statement is sustainable.

JPaul
09-09-2005, 08:59 PM
whether it be a cytoplasm of nearly all eukaryotic cells or simply a rod my former statement is sustainable.
Frayed knot old bean.

Santa
09-09-2005, 10:20 PM
"Frayed" as is now exemplified can now become one.

JPaul
09-09-2005, 10:25 PM
"Frayed" as is now exemplified can now become one.
I have no idea what that means, to be poifectly honest I take that as a good thing.

Gripper
09-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Ipresume this has lots of benifits not just for the amazons

Santa
09-09-2005, 10:32 PM
i forgot ",", excuse my negligence.
However ",", in it self can be the combination of a " " (space) or a " " breath.
Poifectly seen, both are accurate in regards to alternate embryo's becoming "."

peat moss
09-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Maybe the gay penguins are on to something ?

Rat Faced
09-10-2005, 04:09 PM
The research at Newcastle is of course being sponsored by Freddy Shepherd.