PDA

View Full Version : BitComet 0.60

{I}{K}{E}
09-10-2005, 03:52 PM
BitComet is a p2p file-sharing freeware fully compatible with Bittorrent, which is one of the most popular p2p protocol designed for high-speed distribution of 100MB or GB sized files. BitComet is a powerful, clean, fast, and easy-to-use bittorrent client. It supports simultaneous downloads, download queue, selected downloads in torrent package, fast-resume, chatting, disk cache, speed limits, port mapping, proxy, ip-filter, etc.

GUI Improved:

* new toolkit: BitComet Video Codec Check Wizard
* add open BCTP/HTTP link command in file menu
* add BCTP link page in Task Property Dialog
* add Boss-key choice option
* add Disable torrent file download dialog option
* add Display task delete confirm dialog option
* add piece size 2/4/8MB choice when making torrent
* open web link in internal browse of BitComet

GUI Bugfix:

* fix mistake delete when multi-selection after torrent list sort
* fix the win2k auto shutdown issue

Core Improved:

* add video file preview when downloading
* add Torrent download from DHT network using BCTP link
* add protocol header encrypt option
* add Always using NAT Traversal via UDP option

:view: Homepage: http://www.bitcomet.com/

ziggyjuarez
09-10-2005, 04:39 PM
It would be best if you but a direct link.

Vargas
09-10-2005, 04:55 PM
http://download.bitcomet.com/achive/BitComet_0.60_setup.exe
beware the "bitcomet-toolbar" spyware included with it (you can opt-out during install)

joseph_wu
09-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Vargas,

I really like the BitComet Toolbar and I was just wondering why you consider it to be spyware? I just ran every single major spyware detector on my computer and NOT a single one detected it. Why do you consider it spyware?

Please let me know.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Vargas
09-16-2005, 01:57 AM
it installs a BHO search and 404 redirector, and it tracks users with a UID (unique user ID) simply put: it phones home every time you use it.
http://www.bitcomet-toolbar.com/privacy/
on a spyware scale of 1 to 10 it's about a 3 in my book.
if you find it useful, then more power to you

joseph_wu
09-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Vargas,

Thank you for responding.

Aren't all toolbars, including the Google Toolbar, "BHO search and 404 redirectors"? Don't all toolbars, including the Google Toolbar, need to "phone home" in order to deliver the search results? In fact, the Google Toolbar automatically updates itself without asking the user if they wan't the update or not whereas the BitComet Toolbar doesn't even support automatic updates at all.

How would you rate the Google Toolbar on your spyware scale? I'm wondering if I should uninstall the Google Toolbar from my computer because it's spyware?

Vargas
09-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Vargas,

Thank you for responding.

Aren't all toolbars, including the Google Toolbar, "BHO search and 404 redirectors"? Don't all toolbars, including the Google Toolbar, need to "phone home" in order to deliver the search results? In fact, the Google Toolbar automatically updates itself without asking the user if they wan't the update or not whereas the BitComet Toolbar doesn't even support automatic updates at all.

How would you rate the Google Toolbar on your spyware scale? I'm wondering if I should uninstall the Google Toolbar from my computer because it's spyware?
yeah all tool bars phone home for search results, it's the tracking users with a UID that makes it a spy, and you can disable tracking in google's toolbar preferances.
google's uses a BHO to add itself to IE, but it doesn't redirect pages from what you type into the address bar. (browser hijack)
autoupdates don't really spy, but a bad company could add "features" via updates, it all depends on trust :lol: if you trust your 3rdparty makers not to sneak in a backdoor when you aren't looking, then don't worry about it. (unless some hacker figures out how to send unauthorized updates to you)