PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Product Editions Revealed

tesco
09-11-2005, 03:55 AM
It has been reported by well known and trusted Microsoft author, Paul Thurrott, that Windows Vista (previously codename Longhorn) will ship in no less than 7 different versions. The most basic, Vista Starter Edition, will only ship in emerging markets and will be heavily restricted (only 3 applications running simultaneously for example). The next version up, Vista Home Basic Edition, is for the computer novice or budget conscious buyer. This will be similar to the current XP Home offering, with some of the more advanced features (such as joining a domain) disabled.

At the opposite end of the Vista versions market, we have the Ultimate Edition. This, according to reports, will be unlike any other Microsoft product out today. As well as combining the best features from the other six Vista flavours, Ultimate will add several very interesting new features. Rumoured to be present are a podcasting application, a "Game Performance Tweaker" and even the possibility of free music and movie downloads. Although exactly what that entails is anyone’s guess.

It is worth noting that at this point, nothing has been officially confirmed by Microsoft.

Windows Vista Starter Edition

Only sold in emerging markets
Very feature limited
Only 3 simultaneous applications running

Windows Vista Home Basic Edition

Equivalent to XP Home
Includes firewall, parental controls, Security Center, Movie Maker, Photo Library and more
For first time buyer / budget conscious

Windows Vista Home Premium Edition

Everything from Vista Home Basic
Adds DVD video authoring, HDTV support, DVD ripping support
Similar to current XP Media Center edition but with added features

Windows Vista Professional Edition

Aimed at the business consumer
Can join domain, has IIS web server
Akin to XP Pro

Windows Vista Small Business Edition

Designed for small businesses without IT staff
Backup and Shadow Copy support, Castle and server-join networking, and PC fax and scanning utility
Pre-paid access to the Windows Live! Small Business or Microsoft Office Live! subscription services

Windows Vista Enterprise Edition

Optimized for the enterprise
Ships with Virtual PC & the multi-language user interface (MUI)
Aimed at business decision makers, IT managers and decision makers, and information workers/general business users.

Windows Vista Ultimate Edition

"The best operating system ever offered for a personal PC"
Superset of both Vista Home Premium and Vista Pro Edition
Podcasting application, Game Performance Tweaker, possible free music/movie downloads

:source: Source: Windows IT Pro (http://www.windowsitpro.com/windowspaulthurrott/Article/ArticleID/47665/windowspaulthurrott_47665.html) | Neowin.net (http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=30353&category=main)
:view: Homepage: Windows Vista (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx)

suprafreak6
09-11-2005, 04:08 AM
cool i want to get the vista ultimate edition

Yoga
09-11-2005, 04:54 AM
cool, I like crippled ass version which my third world income can barely afford.

peat moss
09-11-2005, 07:49 AM

Kool coming soon to a filesharing program near you . Or if not least give me a choice to pay what one can afford . :)

@ Yoga. please see above ! :shifty:

Hairbautt
09-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Agreed! I wonder if the game performance tweaker is going to be like a...hardware profile type thing...

cool, I like crippled ass version which my third world income can barely afford. :lol:

Virtualbody1234
09-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Where's the Corporate Edition? :shifty:

tesco
09-11-2005, 02:02 PM

* Only sold in emerging markets
* Very feature limited
* Only 3 simultaneous applications running

:lol:

BawA
09-11-2005, 02:09 PM
hey what about activation stuffs, i assume MS made it more difficult this time atleast on ultimate edition.
btw ist true that all activation r forced to be done over net.

tesco
09-11-2005, 02:19 PM
hey what about activation stuffs, i assume MS made it more difficult this time atleast on ultimate edition.
btw ist true that all activation r forced to be done over net.
Not everyone has the net. That would be stupid of them to do.

BawA
09-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Not everyone has the net. That would be stupid of them to do.
yeh thats what i thought, but isnt that what WGA is doing, sure its applying for some updates who knows mybe MS applies that to activition.

Peerzy
09-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Let us just look into our crystal balls and tell you the answer Bawa. How is anyone supposed to know that? MS are only just starting to tell us whats so great about the OS itself, let alone detailing it's secruity features.

Hairbautt
09-11-2005, 05:02 PM

* Only sold in emerging markets
* Very feature limited
* Only 3 simultaneous applications running

So that means you can't have IE, Media Player, Pinball & Solitaire open at the same time? :huh:

They actually limit that... :ermm:

tesco
09-11-2005, 05:08 PM
So that means you can't have IE, Media Player, Pinball & Solitaire open at the same time? :huh:

They actually limit that... :ermm:
exactly. :mellow: :lol:

It's meant to third world countries that can't afford a full featured windows.
I'm sure they wont be computer experts if they have no money for a computer so they'll basically jsut want to use word processor or internet or email, likely not at the same time either.

erRor67
09-11-2005, 05:09 PM
this is getting rediculus. Every new Windows OS seem to have more and more sub versions... :lol:

Virtualbody1234
09-11-2005, 05:19 PM
this is getting rediculus. Every new Windows OS seem to have more and more sub versions... :lol:
Yup. They should just lower the price of Windows XP for those third world countries. Limiting it to only 3 simultaneous applications running is a bad move. It only encourages it to be hacked.

BawA
09-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Windows.Vista.Ultimate.Build.5219.DVD-WinBeta
its out on TB.

Release Information

Release Date: 13 September, 2005
Directory Name: Windows.Vista.Ultimate.Build.5219.DVD-WinBeta
Supplier: Microsoft
Type: OS
Format: DVD - ISO (as supplied by MS)
Number of Discs: 1
Archives: 61 x 50 MB (2% rar recovery record)
Files: Windows.Vista.Ultimate.Build.5219.DVD-WinBeta.rxx
Protection: key/wpa
Requirements: CPU: 1.5GHz+ / RAM: 512MB+ / HDD: 6gb+
Link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

Release Notes-
_

Windows Vista codename Longhorn, the next generation OS from Microsoft
This is Build 5219 from Microsoft's PD Conference currently underway
in Los Angeles.Build compile date is 050830, not the 050824
build shown in recently leaked screenshots.(IBM leaking again?)

There is 30 day activation protection.The key below works to install
We were offered the antiwpa workaround which we declined as we do not
provide cracks.The folks that offered antiwpa said they will make
it available at the same time as this release in order to allow people
the opportunity to enjoy Windows Vista Build 5219 for more than 30
days.Look out for their release if you wish to use it.
We recommend you enter the beta program or join MSDN to get your own
legit key which you will be able to activate.

Nukers-This must remain an iso or it will not extract or boot.

|Enjoy Build 5219.This is an original untouched iso.

Install Notes
.Unpack.
.Burn to dvd or mount with an emulator
.Install, Key is **********************.

peat moss
09-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Found some install pic's if anyone cares to see that kind of thing . The fellow took them with his camera .

http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9590_22-5866619-1.html

BawA
09-16-2005, 04:26 AM
thats Longhorn installing windows, thats Old
there is new ones(vista) out.

lightshow
09-17-2005, 01:37 AM
Haha its going to be funny when someone re-names the starter editon to the ultimate edition and some poor sap is going to install a new OS that can only open 3 programs at a time while he was expecting the worlds most advanced and amazing operating system .

lol

superandrei
10-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Does anyone here really believe that this release will really be that different from the previous ones regarding bugs and simlar problems ? :dry:

twisterX
10-03-2005, 07:47 PM
!WINDOWS VISTA!
COMING TO A FILESHARING NETWORK

!NEAR YOU!

I want the ultimate edition. The enterprise seems like the corp so the ultimate will need to be activated. Will make it harder to crack but this will be no problem. :w00t: