PDA

View Full Version : New TV

peat moss
09-11-2005, 07:42 PM
New TV Makes Playback Of Movie Downloads Even Easier
September 11, 2005
Mark Finn

Not so long ago, before DVD Writers became available and inexpensive, one of the most popular methods of transferring movies from the PC to the living room was to re-encode them into formats such as VCD or SVCD, allowing them to be burned onto a CD-R disc for playback on a stand-alone DVD player.

As the price of DVD media and DVD writers fell, burning movies to DVD began to make more sense, especially with the advent of cheap stand-alone DivX/XviD compatible DVD players, allowing several movies to be burned to a single DVD disc without the need to re-encode.

Portable technology has given us more methods of transferring those movies from the PC to the TV, such as handheld multimedia players which can plug directly into a TV, and the addition of USB sockets to some DVD players, allowing playback of movies stored on memory ‘sticks’. Now the next generation of HDTV sets promises to make TV playback of those files a whole lot easier!

In a recent press release HP have announced the demonstration of an “advanced digital media technology for its high-definition televisions (HDTVs) that will give people direct access to digital content - from movies to photos to music to personal videos - that's currently stored on their PCs”. The prototype communicates through wired or 802.11a and 802.11g wireless networks, potentially giving instant access to any multimedia content stored anywhere on the home network.

According to Tim Bajarin, president of analyst firm Creative Strategies, "More than 50 percent of American consumers are storing digital video or music on their hard drives, and 25 percent of U.S. households rate the ability to view digital photos on a large-screen display as extremely important,". He adds, "With all that digital content, there is a growing consumer demand to find a way to efficiently manage and ultimately simply enjoy that content through a single source”.

:source: Source: http://slyck.com/news.php?story=906

RealitY
09-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Sounds like a built in version of this...
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=101726

peat moss
09-11-2005, 08:29 PM
@ Reality yes it does , build a better mouse trap and people will come . Its amazing how many people young and old still don't own a computer . Make it easier for them and look out !

tesco
09-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Sounds like a built in version of this...
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=101726
haha no replys. :P

I like this idea of it getting the vids direct from your pc over thr network instead of using discs, whether it's built into the tv or not. :)
But if it's in the tv i think that the price for the standalone boxes will come down too. :)

RealitY
09-11-2005, 10:02 PM
What are you lauging at ffs.
Anyway I think its better seperate...

tesco
09-11-2005, 10:43 PM
What are you lauging at ffs.
Anyway I think its better seperate...
Yup it's just like those vcr/dvd/tv combos, but if it lowers the price i tihnk it would be better. :)

peat moss
09-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Yep the fun is just starting , wifi cameras and tvs . "Woot "I'm going to have to get a second job tho . :(