PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to Buy Stake in AOL

RealitY
09-15-2005, 08:11 PM
According to various sources (Bloomberg, Reuters, CNet), Microsoft is in talks with Time Warner to buy a stake in AOL. While the size of the stake or its prize has not been disclosed yet, Bloomberg speculates that this deal would profit both companies. Microsoft would profit from merging the AOL portal with MSN, as a strategy to catch up with his rivals in this space Yahoo and Google, while Time Warner would gain some ammunition in its fight with a renegade shareholder, Carl Icahn. According to CNBC, AOL is just about to turn the corner and is currently the most undervalued division of Time Warner
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/15/146243

lee551
09-16-2005, 01:25 AM
be afraid... :fear: be very afraid.

twisterX
10-05-2005, 08:33 PM
why would MS buy meat from an ISP?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go to like stop and shop for that.

orcutt989
10-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Because AOL is a popular browser with those who arent knowledgeable about computers. You look here, most have broadband or DSL connections and use Firefox or Internet Explorer, but that isnt the majority of people. Majority of people in the US are not computer-literate, and therefore use what is offered to them, and in this case, it is AOL. Iwas an avid AOL user until I became somewhat knowledgeable about computers.

Busyman
10-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Because AOL is a popular browser with those who arent knowledgeable about computers. You look here, most have broadband or DSL connections and use Firefox or Internet Explorer, but that isnt the majority of people. Majority of people in the US are not computer-literate, and therefore use what is offered to them, and in this case, it is AOL. Iwas an avid AOL user until I became somewhat knowledgeable about computers.
I purposely shut off the AOL my mother was using 'cause I wanted her to learn the web and stop using a spoon-fed portal.

It's that a friend of my girlfriend has AOL (at $23 a month, dialup) and I was telling her (2 days ago) that Verizon DSL is $15 a month for the slowest speed, 768.

Most people have AOL from awhile ago and never bothered to switch.

maebach
10-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Pretty soon, Microsoft's gonna rule the world. As Robin Williams said, "I'll(Gates) have you sucking on the TIT(Total Information Technology[Gate's scheme to rule the world]) while I grab your motherboard."