PDA

View Full Version : Do you think

Gripper
09-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Britain should have a policy where immigrants are made to take an oath of allegiance to the country,that way if they start shitting on our way of life they can automatically be sent back to where they came from as it is obvious that their way of life in their motheland is preferable to ours,thus they would be happier there.

Rat Faced
09-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Can you define immigrant for me, with regard to that question?

Helghast004
09-16-2005, 09:47 PM
I think they already do something like that here in the states...its called the Pledge of Alligence.

But that can have an empty meaning to anyone who wants to cause harm. Plus you cant force people to stay loyal to one nation, unless you join the military.

"Our way of life." What is that? Again thats taking away some of their freedom.

Santa
09-16-2005, 09:57 PM
in every country
its inhabitants "shit" on it its country
whether verbally or physically
in every country immigrants and or expatriots "shit" on the the country they are presently in, whether verbally or physically

in every country - every tuesday evening you can go to JoeBlo's bar and talk shit about the country you are in and piss on the natives

yes it sucks to come from somewhere.

now could someone somewhere please start a "say something positive about the country you are in day"
?

Gripper
09-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Immigrant= Someone not born in this country,not having a British parent.
Our way of life=Freedom to be proud of our flag,freedom to have a point of view without being jumpred on as a racist,not advocating racism but where do you draw the line?

Rat Faced
09-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Immigrant= Someone not born in this country,not having a British parent.
Our way of life=Freedom to be proud of our flag,freedom to have a point of view without being jumpred on as a racist,not advocating racism but where do you draw the line?

You misunderstand, probably my fault.

Do you mean:

Immigrants that arrive to try and become British Citizens (or wherever)

Economic Immigrants: ie those from the EU or the Commonwealth and those on work visa's

Refugees

Asylum Seekers

Helghast004
09-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Several things I personally require if someone decides to come here.

1. Speak or at least understand English
2. Obey the laws and dont cause any trouble
3. The Flag has 13 stripes, 50 stars, and contains the colors Red, White, & Blue

...ok forget that but at least speak english.

I look at all the good things every nation has to offer...people like to focus on the bad.

I'll respect your nation no matter what you think of mine.

Gripper
09-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Ok by immigrants I mean people who make a concious effort to come to our country because they believe it to be a good place to live and rear their family in.
Refugees and asylum seekers have made a choice to come and stay here,some have no choice,this I understand.
I respect different cultures have their own customs,but when are living somewhere you respect and live by that country's laws,not go about trying to change that country's laws and customs to suit what you were bought up to believe.
I'm glad I was born here,I enjoy what freedoms I have.
We have a choice about how we are governed,no I'm not always happy about the way we are governed,but then I didn't vote for the government we now have.
There is a saying "you can please some of the people some of the time,but not all of the people all of the time"
When I've been in other country's I've always tried to obey their laws and custom's,not set out to change them,so I expect the same from people who want to live in my country.

Rat Faced
09-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Immigrants that are coming here to be British Citizens should accept British Culture, however if they are British Citizens then they have the right to go to Jail here not in some foreign Jail, for crimes they commit here. They shouldnt be deported, however in my view they are commiting stronger crimes.

All the others, have no intention of being British, so i have no problem with them getting thrown back wherever they came from if the break the law... irrespective of the treatment they will receive. However this should only be the people that have bitten the hand that feeds them, not their families etc.

If they havent broke the law, then i dont see why we should throw them back.

Either way, its only the people that become British that should ever swear allegiance to Britain.

JPaul
09-17-2005, 12:01 PM

If we could just get the "English speakers" to speak and understand English we would be doing well.

I love the chaps (not you) who chide others for not speaking English, when they can barely speak it themselves.

vidcc
09-17-2005, 01:24 PM
I respect different cultures have their own customs,but when are living somewhere you respect and live by that country's laws,not go about trying to change that country's laws and customs to suit what you were bought up to believe.

When I've been in other country's I've always tried to obey their laws and custom's,not set out to change them,so I expect the same from people who want to live in my country.
On the whole I agree but as every country has good and bad laws and customs it would sometimes be an opportunity to at least consider things and not reject them outright on the basis that the idea came from an immigrant. It's often the case that people bring with them ideas that are beneficial.
This doesn't mean that even if one had a "better" law or custom in the original land of citizenship that one can disregard the laws as they stand.

On the thread topic I don't think having a pledge would make one jot of difference in reality

JPaul
09-17-2005, 03:05 PM
On the thread topic I don't think having a pledge would make one jot of difference in reality
Indeed, let's just concentrate on trying to get him to speak English.

Rat Faced
09-17-2005, 03:08 PM
Why?

English is not the only official language of the UK, i see no problem if he wishes to speak one of the Gaelic's, Manx, Cornish or French instead :P

JPaul
09-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Why?

English is not the only official language of the UK, i see no problem if he wishes to speak one of the Gaelic's, Manx, Cornish or French instead :P
That's exactly the mix he appears to favour. :blink:

MagicNakor
09-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Are you meaning that an immigrant would not be allowed to voice a dissenting opinion on the current government/customs or be allowed to practice their own customs (provided it doesn't break the law eg: honour killings) without being "tossed back?"

Or am I not reading this properly after a 9.5 hour shift?

:shuriken:

j2k4
09-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Or am I not reading this properly after a 9.5 hour shift?

:shuriken:

Sure seems like it's been longer than 9.5 hours, MN. :huh:

Good to see you back. :)

Rat Faced
09-17-2005, 05:04 PM
The point is:

If a guest comes in and starts pissing on your furniture, you'd throw him out even if it was snowing.

If a member of the family did it, even an inlaw, you just hit him about the head a little and make him see the error of his ways.

Helghast004
09-19-2005, 02:44 AM

If we could just get the "English speakers" to speak and understand English we would be doing well.

I love the chaps (not you) who chide others for not speaking English, when they can barely speak it themselves.

My english is pretty good...sorta. :lookaroun

Then again what can you expect from a guy who spoke nothing but tagalog for the first 5 years of his life.

But its all good though...it'll just make life a whole lot easier here or anywhere else if you knew their language, no?

cpt_azad
09-19-2005, 08:02 AM
The point is:

If a guest comes in and starts pissing on your furniture, you'd throw him out even if it was snowing.

If a member of the family did it, even an inlaw, you just hit him about the head a little and make him see the error of his ways.

Nicely worded, I actually understood that analogy.

GepperRankins
09-19-2005, 08:58 AM
speak english (or welsh :blink: ) and obey the law. i wouldn't ask them to swear on the flag or anything as i imagine a great number of britons wouldn't even do it.

j2k4
09-19-2005, 10:00 PM
The point is:

Nicely worded, I actually understood that analogy.

Yes.

It's actually the first effectively-used analogy in the entire history of this board.

Those born to argue have a built-in immunity to them.