PDA

View Full Version : pc reboots after login

Storm
09-17-2005, 09:16 PM
hi everyone

i just upgraded my parents computer (MSI K8MM-V mobo, Sempron 2600+, 512 MiB Dane-Elec RAM, and their old 20 gb maxtor HDD and optical drives)

now everything works fine........ installing win2k works fine........ it starts going wrong after i install the drivers for the motherboard.......

i downloaded win2k from another site, thinking it might be something with my "original" windows version, but same thing........

whats going on?

its win2k pro......

i havent tried either win2k version on another computer, nor do i have the possibility of doing so..... and yes, i know that i can try installing XP on this machine, but i dont have a version of that with me, nor do i live close 2 my parents, nor do i want XP on this machine.......

Virtualbody1234
09-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Could you describe the problem a bit better please?

What exactly happens?

Storm
09-17-2005, 10:06 PM
well i installed windows
then i install the drivers for the mobo and such
then i reboot to complete the instalation
then i log in to windows
as soon as it stops loading (in windows, with the hourglas just disappeared), and now it reboots.........

Virtualbody1234
09-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Does it go into safemode?

If so then maybe if you disable the automatic restart feature.

Right click My Computer>Properties>Advanced tab>Startup and recovery settings>remove the checkmark from [ ] Automatically Restart and click ok. Then restart onto normal mode desktop.

Storm
09-17-2005, 11:09 PM
hmmmmm, just tried that, rebooted, loged in, and now it didnt reboot, but shut down the harddrive, the screen turned black (but still show the "loading" cursor), but in a lower resolution, and doesnt do anything (cursor doesnt move, computer makes no noise, CPU fan still spinning though)

tesco
09-17-2005, 11:40 PM
It could be a driver problem (video, chipset, or sound most likely).
Try restarting in safe mode to install the latest driver.

Storm
09-18-2005, 12:23 AM
yeah, i think the mobo driver is faulty

i just reinstalled windows, installed the gfx driver (onboard gfx), and it works fine now........

im just a lil afraid of installing any more drivers now......... anyway, thnx for all the help guys (i knew i shoulda stuck with an ASUS mobo and not venture into the MSI world, but noooooooo i had to save my parents 4 euros :( )