PDA

View Full Version : Harddrive problem

abu_has_the_power
09-17-2005, 10:37 PM
I've been getting this the last few days. the hdd would make the click and the downward-whirl sound, like when i'm shutting down my pc. this is while the computer's on. when this happens, and i'm playing a game or something, the game freezes and crashes. is something wrong with my hdd? it's a western digital 200gb 7200 rpm ata. or maybe that particular psu molex isn't providing enough power? :blink: and this sometimes happens when i boot up too. it says please insert proper boot device. i have to ctrl alt delete and sometimes it goes into windows. yesterday morning i was trying to boot for 15 min, and it won't work. wtf??? :wacko:

Virtualbody1234
09-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Could be a loose connection. Check all cables and connections to the HDD.

Could also be you drive starting to fail.

If you have another power supply, you could try to substitute that to eliminate the possibility of it being a fault in the PSU.

abu_has_the_power
09-17-2005, 11:08 PM
i guess it could mean early hdd failure. are western digitals known for failing? i've only had this thing for 10 months. i'm very sure all teh connects are secure. i just rechecked them.

clocker
09-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Maybe it's too cold?

Sounds like imminent mechanical failure actually.

abu_has_the_power
09-17-2005, 11:55 PM
it's doing 43C rite now. is that high or low?

malyo
09-17-2005, 11:57 PM
If I were you i would save any important data that might be on that hard disk on CDs/DVDs/another HDD. I suppose you still have a warranty so it might be the best moment to use it.

abu_has_the_power
09-17-2005, 11:59 PM
i don't think i have the warranty info anymore. i've never had a hdd failure b4. sigh

malyo
09-18-2005, 12:15 AM
well, i had one a few years ago. The HDD started making strange noise and at first i thought it was nothing but in a week or so i was without a HDD and any important info on it. it turned out to be a defective series of 13GB HDDs of i dont remember what made but i remember i was really FUCKED
i hope it's not your case

Virtualbody1234
09-18-2005, 01:19 AM
The connections may seem fine but go the extra distance and try other cables.

I have seen intermitent problems solved by changing the cables.

abu_has_the_power
09-18-2005, 01:39 AM
well, i just switched the cables. the molex that was originally powering this hdd is now powering my slave hdd. it's mainly used for storage, and hardly ever modified. so i think i'll try this for now. i'll boot up something like css and c wat happens

Virtualbody1234
09-18-2005, 01:46 AM
well, i just switched the cables. the molex that was originally powering this hdd is now powering my slave hdd. it's mainly used for storage, and hardly ever modified. so i think i'll try this for now. i'll boot up something like css and c wat happens
What about the other cable?

abu_has_the_power
09-18-2005, 01:55 AM
i know. relax. i'm just trying to narrow the problem. if it is indeed that cable, i'll worry bout it later.

so far, no hdd downward whirl noise! and i'm playing css. looks like it's another failed psu. this would the 2nd one. the 1st one was a crappy $20 for 500W piece of junk. this one's a top o line thermaltake xaser 3 480w psu. and it's dying!!!

abu_has_the_power
09-18-2005, 01:57 AM
why do my psu's fail?? wtf? it shouldn't be cuz i'm ocing. cuz i'm not altering any of the voltages! only my ram voltage is increased by a tiny bit. my cpu voltage hasn't changed. wtf!?!?

tesco
09-18-2005, 02:55 AM
Set it back to stock to try?

I had this exact same problem, posted about it and finally (dont remember how) I fonund that the 20pin connector to my motherboard from the PSU was all burnt, which I figured was ebcause it was loose.

Since then I've had no problems...

edit: Here, I found the thread: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t87539.html

abu_has_the_power
09-18-2005, 03:03 AM
yea, that does seem like the same problem i get. it clicks, and it sounds like it's shutting down. but now, after i switched the molex for my 1st drive onto my 2nd one, no more clicking. and i'm playing css and no problems!? could it be just that molex that's screwed up?

Virtualbody1234
09-18-2005, 03:56 AM
.. could it be just that molex that's screwed up?
Yes or the connector on the HDD itself and just by pushing and wiggling things around you may have improved the connection. Check it out closely where the pins are soldered to the board of the drive.

abu_has_the_power
09-18-2005, 04:13 AM
ok. do u guys think attaching a hdd fan would affect anything? I've had a hdd fan attached in parallel to the main hdd since last year. by laws of phy, it doesn't affect voltage. and i guess it doesn't make a difference, now that another molex works fine