PDA

View Full Version : One for you wordsmiths

Gripper
09-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Which of these two sentances is correct or are they both right

# The recipe called for two teaspoonsful of sugar.
# The recipe called for two teaspoonfuls of sugar.

Hmmm :unsure:

Rat Faced
09-19-2005, 08:29 PM
The recipe called for two teaspoonsful of sugar ? :unsure:

MediaSlayer
09-19-2005, 08:31 PM
the other one

Virtualbody1234
09-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Yes.

9.857844 milliliters.

Alien5
09-19-2005, 08:38 PM
The recipe called for two teaspoonfuls of sugar.

Gripper
09-19-2005, 08:43 PM
I'll let it run for a bit longer:)

Rat Faced
09-19-2005, 08:49 PM
1 Ladle of sugar... can't go wrong then :P

GepperRankins
09-19-2005, 08:57 PM
teaspoons full

Gripper
09-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Some language experts say the first sentence is correct because the word teaspoon is the noun and ful modifies it. AP style, however, calls for adding an s to compound words that are solid on the argument that the two words together form a complete noun: handfuls, cupfuls, tablespoonfuls. (Still other wordsmiths would argue that teaspoonful is an unnecessarily long word and the proper wording here should be: The recipe called for two teaspoons of sugar.)

JPaul
09-20-2005, 01:07 PM
What does "AP style" mean.

MediaSlayer
09-20-2005, 05:26 PM
You goober

When you ask a question like this...

you leave no room for the last solution proposed in your 3rd post and also you make me wonder if you know how to spell the word sentence

Gripper
09-20-2005, 05:37 PM
You goober

When you ask a question like this...

you leave no room for the last solution proposed in your 3rd post and also you make me wonder if you know how to spell the word sentence

I just found it when I was trying to help me son with some homework,didn't really understand it myself but thought it may have been of interest to some of the cleverer members of the board :lookaroun

Never been called a goober before,I love the way I can get insulted on a worldwide scale here :01:

Regional Note: Most Southerners recognize the terms goober and goober pea as other names for the peanut. Goober is related to Kongo or Kimbundu n-guba, “peanut.” The word is especially interesting as one of a small stock of African language borrowings brought over by slaves. Most of these words have to do with the food items imported from Africa for the slaves to eat. In this category are gumbo, “okra,” which is of Bantu origin, and yam, which is of West African origin. The noun cooter is related to the Mandingo word kuta and the Tshiluba word nkudu, both meaning “turtle.” Cooter is still used in South Carolina, Georgia, and the Gulf states to denote the edible freshwater turtle of the genus Chrysemys and, by extension, other turtles and tortoises.

Sussed ya you're IKE in disguise :01:

Guillaume
09-20-2005, 05:45 PM
I love the way I can get insulted on a worldwide scale here :01:
Really?

Wanker!

:lookaroun

MediaSlayer
09-20-2005, 05:48 PM
http://www.nestleclassics.com/images/gooblers_03.gif

MediaSlayer
09-20-2005, 05:49 PM
goober is such a mild insult that it hardly qualifies as an insult at all

in other words, it's a playful way to pick on someone

if i have to learn "innit" "rubbish" "fucked off" ect... you can learn some of mine:)

Gripper
09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
goober is such a mild insult that it hardly qualifies as an insult at all

in other words, it's a playful way to pick on someone

if i have to learn "innit" "rubbish" "fucked off" ect... you can learn some of mine:)
Cool I can live with that,my edumacation continues,them there sweeties look noice :01:

Gripper
09-20-2005, 08:50 PM
I love the way I can get insulted on a worldwide scale here :01:
Really?

Wanker!

:lookaroun

Sings "I'm a wanker,I'm a wanker,and it does me good, like it bloody well should,I'm a wanker.I'm a wanker and I 'm always pulling my pud" :w00t:

manker
09-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Pretty interesting, Gripper.

If I was a wordsmith, I'd be enthralled.

JPaul
09-20-2005, 09:43 PM
I still don't know what "AP style" means.

manker
09-20-2005, 09:46 PM
I still don't know what "AP style" means.Me neither, I shall hazard a guess tho'.

I reckon it's some guy who posts a lot on whichever forum Gripper found that on.

Like when you're particular about apostrophes, people might say to do it properly is 'JP style'.

JPaul
09-20-2005, 09:56 PM
I had taken it he had copied it from somewhere like http://publish.bsu.edu/ldemo/bettaknow/plural.html but decided to mis-spell "sentence".

Gripper
09-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Jpaul well done you are a good detective my friend,I think the AP style is short for associated press,like this http://www.utexas.edu/coc/journalism/SOURCE/journal_links/AP_style.html

manker
09-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Wiki knows :smilie4:

JPaul
09-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Jpaul well done you are a good detective my friend,I think the AP style is short for associated press,like this http://www.utexas.edu/coc/journalism/SOURCE/journal_links/AP_style.html
That seems likely, old bean.

We have a thing which I believe is called "BBC Register", which is effectively the spoken word, sans regional accent. It was specifically designed so that anyone in the UK could understand, and not be offended by, BBC newsreaders.

("and" after a comma is now officially sanctioned)