PDA

View Full Version : Protowall vs. Peerguardian ?? Which ones better

kazaaman
09-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Which firewall is better protowall or peerguardian? From what i've heard people say protowall is better but i dont know any of the actual comparisons, so i wanted a little backgournd.

Thanx :)

abu_has_the_power
09-21-2005, 01:44 AM
protowall is the best. i've been using it since 2003. the best part is it's ability to block ips right at the driver level, before they actually reach ur hdd. also, blocklist manager from bluetack.co.uk is one of the best evil ip compilers out there. it prob is the best. and protowall uses hardly any resources. it uses just over 2mb of ram for me.

RPerry
09-21-2005, 06:43 AM
until this mess gets cleared up with the staff of peerguardian, I wouldn't use anything but protowall :O

Aaron_T
09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
ive always just used peerguardian, never used protowall, maybe i should try it :O

zapjb
09-21-2005, 04:47 PM
I've used PG. The reason being I've never got PW to install. It's missing some driver. Tried several tutorials as this was/is a very common problem. Very idiotic program ime. Cause this problem is experienced by MANY!

kazaaman
09-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Yea i guess I'll just use both. ahhahaa

Thanx

Leeson
09-24-2005, 01:32 AM
I've used PG. The reason being I've never got PW to install. It's missing some driver. Tried several tutorials as this was/is a very common problem. Very idiotic program ime. Cause this problem is experienced by MANY!

I have the same problem with protowall, anyone have any solution that works for this?

tree_for
09-24-2005, 03:40 AM
cant get/nvr got protowall to work, even after trying all e steps they had in e webby

zapjb
09-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Exactly folks. It's almost to the point I don't think PW even works at all. I'm thinking anybody who says they even used PW is lying! LOL!

abu_has_the_power
09-24-2005, 04:27 AM
the driver setup is extremely simple. read the bloody help section!

zapjb
09-24-2005, 06:17 AM
I did many, many times. No go. And I'm not inexperienced at this sort of software install either. :frusty:

Leeson
09-24-2005, 03:23 PM
so did I...... I tried the help section, forums, anything I could find and the driver wouldn't work, I dont know if theres something installed thats conflicting with the driver or what, but it doesn't work for me

AndrewBarker
09-27-2005, 09:50 AM
the driver for protowall has to be installed manually

Start > Connect To > Show all connections
("right-click" on the connection you use for the internet)
Properties > Networking > Install

I admit it, it took me hours to work it out the first time

Wolfmight
09-28-2005, 03:34 AM
I use PeerGaurdian, because the only time I used ProtoWall, awhile back, it added a bunch of drivers into my hardware configuration that were all yellow exclamation marks. This really annoyed me, so I removed the software, BUT the drivers were still there. @#$*... hopefully their updated version corrects this :wacko: :wacko: :frusty:

Leeson
09-28-2005, 03:53 AM
the driver for protowall has to be installed manually

Start > Connect To > Show all connections
("right-click" on the connection you use for the internet)
Properties > Networking > Install

I admit it, it took me hours to work it out the first time

tried it when I checked the website for an answer.... didnt work..... anymore suggestions?

Rip The Jacker
09-28-2005, 04:25 AM
PeerGuardian all the way. :01:

No complicated install process to deal with...

erRor67
09-28-2005, 04:39 AM
Personally, I use PeerGuardian2 over Protowall.. I have tried both and I think PG2 is the best cause:
1. PG2's installation is easier than PW (Pw's driver is a bit more complicated to install. The automatic driver installation usually never works. Only the manual way seems to be the best way to install it.)
2. PG2 Auto-Updates its lists. It also allows you to update multiple lists (you can choose) and keep them up to date.
3. PG2 offers the ability to block bad IPs yet allow traffic on port 80. This way, you can be blocking bad IPs yet still surf the web without any interference.
4. PG2 offers the feature to "unblock" an IP temporarly (or even perminatly).
5. PG2 color codes its log window for easy reading.
6. When running PG2 and PW together at the same time, PG2 caught all the bad IPs first.. PW was just sitting there doing nothing..

Oh, and a note. I was a protowall fan but then PeerGuardian2 came out and now Im a PG2 fan. :)

Wolfmight
09-28-2005, 04:55 AM
Peergaurdian's original site MethLabs was jacked by some asshole who was on the inside. The whole MethLabs site has been on lock-down with a blockage that prevents any admins in. The original creator was pissed and created another company called Phoenix Labs! Download PeerGaurdian 2 from their new site: http://phoenixlabs.org/, or else your lists will not update. (actually when you try to update them on the old versions, you will get a Blank list in return..i.e. EVERY IP WILL BE ERASED, leaving yo ass vulnerable!) :-)

*hah, someone needs to nock that bastard in the face! Take That, Take That!

erRor67
09-28-2005, 05:03 AM
True woftmight, but the original people of PG2 got back the domain (methlabs.org). So everything is alright now..

Just make sure to be using the latest version, 6b ;)

Wolfmight
09-28-2005, 05:18 AM
the page isn't loading...