PDA

View Full Version : discrimination.

vidcc
09-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Should a publicly funded school be allowed to not hire someone because they are a Christian?

GepperRankins
09-22-2005, 08:31 PM
unless they're a creationist science teacher with an agenda :unsure:

vidcc
09-22-2005, 08:32 PM
unless they're a creationist science teacher with an agenda :unsure:

No agenda just Christian

GepperRankins
09-22-2005, 08:37 PM
you got a specific caes in mind or just hypothetical?

vidcc
09-22-2005, 09:01 PM
you got a specific caes in mind or just hypothetical?
there is a bill working through the system at the moment (usa) where those head start schools paid for by government working under Bush's "faith based initiative" can refuse to hire someone who doesn't share the same faith as the administrators of that school.
Head start schools are supposed to be for needy children to give them a "head start" into the education system. They are not religious schools but instead early starts to reading, writing etc. Bush allowed religious groups to run some schools.

We are not talking private "religious" schools but schools working in a government program and funded by the tax payer.

My point which I didn't want to raise too quickly was that if it is not ok to discriminate against a Christian why should it be against a non Christian.

j2k4
09-23-2005, 12:53 AM
Of course not.

Those institutions charged (by way of their multiple ties to government) not to favor any religion (even though for practical purposes this only means Christian...) should not be allowed to discriminate against religion, either.

The only grounds for disqualification should be incompetence or situational instability (a history of job-hopping), which is a special peeve of mine.

Given the operational approach of the NEA, the former is of significant concern.

tracydani
09-23-2005, 05:29 PM
They should not be disqualified. However, if they try to teach their religion then they should be separated.

vidcc
09-23-2005, 08:53 PM
well the bill passed the house yesterday by our republican lawmakers. :dry:

Everose
09-24-2005, 05:24 AM
I guess what floors me about this is I work in a public school system in what is a supposedly conservative christian area of the country, Vid. Never have I heard a teacher even asked about their religious beliefs or discuss them. And never has it been asked about in an interview even. I thought that was illegal. I have never had anyone even ask me about my religious beliefs and I don't ask anyone about theirs. Guess I better dig into this.

vidcc
09-24-2005, 12:39 PM
I guess what floors me about this is I work in a public school system in what is a supposedly conservative christian area of the country, Vid. Never have I heard a teacher even asked about their religious beliefs or discuss them. And never has it been asked about in an interview even. I thought that was illegal. I have never had anyone even ask me about my religious beliefs and I don't ask anyone about theirs. Guess I better dig into this.
that's what this bill plans to change. It was illegal.

Under this bill a head start school administered by the city cannot discriminated against a person of faith, yet one administered by a religious group can discriminate against a person of different or no faith. Remember, both are funded by the tax payer.

Everose
09-24-2005, 01:09 PM
I would like to rant and rave about it then....but I am going to have to look at this bill myself before I take that leap. Do you have a link to it?

j2k4
09-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Under this bill a head start school administered by the city cannot discriminated against a person of faith, yet one administered by a religious group can discriminate against a person of different or no faith. Remember, both are funded by the tax payer.

Oh.

You mean this bill specifically says, "Forthwith, pursuant to the standards set forth in this document, publically-funded educational institutions may, upon determining the religious faith of any applicant for employment in said institution may regard this information as disqualifying, depending only upon the whims of the hiring authority"?

Give it a rest, vid-it only means the subject is not closed to discussion-perhaps the aim is to specifically give oral notification to a fundamentalist Muslim applicant that any hint of Islamic instruction or propaganda in the classroom will not be tolerated and may be grounds for dismissal?

Without such legislation, such subjects cannot be broached for fear of a lawsuit.

Sounds pretty common-sensical to me. ;)

vidcc
09-24-2005, 06:52 PM

Oh.

You mean this bill specifically says, "Forthwith, pursuant to the standards set forth in this document, publically-funded educational institutions may, upon determining the religious faith of any applicant for employment in said institution may regard this information as disqualifying, depending only upon the whims of the hiring authority"?

Give it a rest, vid-it only means the subject is not closed to discussion-perhaps the aim is to specifically give oral notification to a fundamentalist Muslim applicant that any hint of Islamic instruction or propaganda in the classroom will not be tolerated and may be grounds for dismissal?

Without such legislation, such subjects cannot be broached for fear of a lawsuit.

yeah right :rolleyes:

GepperRankins
09-26-2005, 09:31 AM

Oh.

sounds unfair to me. was that a suggestion that muslims can't talk about their faith but christians can. in fact if that is the case it seems to be worse than what vid said

j2k4
09-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Oh.

sounds unfair to me. was that a suggestion that muslims can't talk about their faith but christians can. in fact if that is the case it seems to be worse than what vid said

Must you always be so unrelentingly thick? :dry:

GepperRankins
09-26-2005, 08:09 PM

so you were being sarcastic... or dumb as fuck?

why is it ok for catholics to discriminate and promote, in fact force their ideas on children. yet muslims can't even be openly religious

that's an answer to your theory, not the actual situation

j2k4
09-26-2005, 08:34 PM

so you were being sarcastic... or dumb as fuck?

why is it ok for catholics to discriminate and promote, in fact force their ideas on children. yet muslims can't even be openly religious

that's an answer to your theory, not the actual situation

Sarcastic, though I'm not sure why you might have been fooled...

Is the Catholic faith (which I do not hold) mentioned in the proposed legislation?

Is the Islamic faith mentioned?

My post was a reply in the form of the legislation as vid seems to see it, and as such was aimed at him.
If you choose to take up on his behalf, be sure you have fully assumed his mantle, and are prepared to argue the point as he would.

As I was, by way of sarcasm, asking if he indeed saw the proposal as I stated, you might answer as to whether you yourself have that interpretation.

That, or give up this penchant of yours for insinuating yourself into places you do not fit?

jetje
09-28-2005, 07:10 AM
if someone is an radical (extremist) in its believes yes i think schools should be able to ... :/

(whatever believe they practise...)