PDA

View Full Version : Problems surfacing with iPod Nano screen

peat moss
09-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Some owners of Apple Computer's new "impossibly small" iPod Nano are starting to wonder if the device is also impossibly delicate.

The most widespread complaint about the otherwise highly-praised device seems to be that the color display screen gets scratched extremely easily.

Nano owner Brian Cason posted one of 250-some threads in response to a recent post on Apple's discussion board about screen scratching.

"I don't really care if the case on my Nano gets scratched but my screen has scratched up so badly that all the images are starting to become distorted," Cason wrote, echoing the sentiment of many others in the discussion. "I have only carried it in my small pocket in my shorts and nothing is in there to scratch it. I still can't figure how the screen looks like it has been rubbed with sandpaper when the entire time it has been safe in my pocket (with absolutely no items)."

But this week several users also started complaining about screens cracking, or failing, inexplicable. A Nano owner set up the site, flawedmusicplayer.com (formerly ipodnanoflaw.com) to tell the story about how his Nano screen shattered after just four days, to see if others have had the same problem, and to suggest that Apple recall the Nano and use stronger screen product.

:source: Source: http://news.com.com/Problems+surfacing+with+iPod+Nano+screen/2100-1041_3-5880307.html

Virtualbody1234
09-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Here we go again. Similar to the battery issue with the iPod.

peat moss
09-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Here we go again. Similar to the battery issue with the iPod.

Its a wonderful idea tho the nano , VB who test this shit ? Give it to my kids for a weekend and I'll let you know . :D

Whats really annoying, its usually a gift or money saved to buy that pisses me off should have a "Total Recall " :)

tesco
09-24-2005, 11:27 PM
For something so expensive it really should be made properly.
Both the nano and the regular versions...they both scratch wayy to easily. :(

I read on a neowin.net news post that a site went over all the parts inside of the ipod nano and figured they're worth about 100$, and the thing is old for over 200. :frusty:

edit:
After disassembling the iPod nano, iSuppli discovered something that’s bound to make iPod nano owners angry. The entire cost of materials inside the nano adds up to a measly 90.18 and if you add 8 dollars per unit for labor, Apple still makes $100.82 per 2GB iPod nano sold.

Other interesting discoveries include Apple’s first home built clickwheel, thus dropping it's previous supplier Synaptics. iSuppli also noted that the nano includes a PortalPlayer5021C audio controller chip, a Wolfson WM8975G codec part and a Cypress CY8C21x34 used to manage the input from the clickwheel. The key to Apple’s savings is apparently the Samsung NAND Flash, the 2GB nano includes two 1GB flash memory chips adding up to only 54 dollars.

peat moss
09-24-2005, 11:40 PM
@Ross ,and built in some poor third world country that does pay its workers a pile of beans ............... Pathetic no ?

abu_has_the_power
09-25-2005, 12:00 AM
this is why u do not remove the protective clear plastic membrane thingy off the screen.

tesco
09-25-2005, 12:15 AM
this is why u do not remove the protective clear plastic membrane thingy off the screen.Mine didn't have one when i bought it, but anyway it's ugly with it on, worse than scratches.:sick:

peat moss
09-28-2005, 01:23 AM
Update : Apple responds to nano complaints.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/09/27/nanoscreen/index.php

After more complaints : :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1580494,00.html