PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3 Confirmed

Samurai
09-30-2005, 09:37 PM
In an interview with ZDNet News today, Microsoft's French security head Bernard Ourghanlian revealed that the software giant will indeed release a third service pack for Windows XP. According to Ourghanlian, Microsoft is planning to ship SP3 after the launch of Windows Vista next year, claiming that their new OS is the foremost "priority for the development teams."

This doesn’t exactly come as a surprise seeing as how many corporate customers will still be using XP on their desktops for years after the launch of Vista. As for new features that we can expect in SP3, a Microsoft representative commented that "Historically, certain functions of new versions of Windows are integrated in the service packs of previous versions." One can assume this will mean updated "Vista-Age" versions of software like Windows Media Player being integrated into this new service pack. Internet Explorer 7 integration is still up in the air after a Microsoft developer commented a few weeks back that their "current plan is to continue to ship IE6 on XP SP3, but IE7 will be supported on XP SP3."

:source: Source: ZDNet Article (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-5886274.html) | Unofficial List Of SP3 Changes @ TheHotFix.net (http://www.thehotfix.net/sp3.html)

peat moss
10-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Oh I'm sure there will be an Genuine Advantage tool bundled in aswell . Some people and companies can't afford to upgrade to Vista ,so nice to see they hav n't forgot about them .

zapjb
10-01-2005, 01:13 AM
I have a feeling this is one to look out for. For those of us with an eye patch & or parrot on our shoulder. I had that feeling about SP1 but not about SP2. And I've got it again for SP3. Oh well plenty of time before this. And great communities like this to help.

twisterX
10-01-2005, 04:33 AM
sp1 was great. Sp2 was a waste. Nothing besides security. Cant wait to see what this will be. Looks much better becuase it will be like vista or somethign like that.

Ricey
10-03-2005, 03:16 PM
sp1 was great. Sp2 was a waste. Nothing besides security. Cant wait to see what this will be. Looks much better becuase it will be like vista or somethign like that.

So security doesn't matter? :O