PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no multipeer downloading

twisterX
10-01-2005, 08:12 PM
If the person goes offline you cant download a song.

brotherdoobie
10-01-2005, 11:16 PM
If the person goes offline you cant download a song.

Soulseek was not intended for everyone and his brother. There was a time
when patience was a virtue in obtaining free art, now it seems everyone
feels entitled to everything being fast and free.

Peace bd :(

Sid Hartha
10-03-2005, 03:37 PM
This is what makes Soulseek special.

It's also the reason why fake files are such a rare problem, compared to other p2p apps: malicious users - unable to remain anonymous - are found out rather quickly. (case in point: I recently unintentionally shared a corrupted mp3 file. believe me I heard about it right away!)

But if you don't like that, there are plenty of multipeer apps to choose from.

twisterX
10-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Win MX got shut downn and this sucks

masta.z
10-06-2005, 04:08 AM
awww poor baby, dont worry, kazaa is still there for you

brotherdoobie
10-06-2005, 04:12 AM

SLAP!*

Peace bd

Adster
10-14-2005, 01:38 AM
its better its like your personally grabbing music from a actual person

one of the reasons kazaa got so fucked was coz of the multiple sources easy to spread screeching mp3s (oh how i miss those screeching mp3 threads we had everyday)

soulseek is also for albums

its easy to find the fucked up fake files when you see someone shared a album that isn't released on newsgroups the bit rate isn't showing the time of the tracks are the same )20 min plus each tehd size of the files are the same everything is the same but the actual song title !! and you cant dl off these users anyway

erRor67
10-14-2005, 04:13 AM
Use Ares (http://aresgalaxy.sf.net) for music. Great network, many files and it does support multi-user downloading. :)

Warrack1977
10-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Because its better solo

Storm
12-26-2005, 10:32 AM
well there's no hashing system, thus multipeer downloading is impossible.......

i dont agree with the opinion of a couple of guys here that this would mess up the system, corrupted files in kazaa were due to the crappy hashing system, not due to the existence of a hashing system.......... ed2k is flooded with corrupted files, neither is gnutella, nor bt..........

thewizeard
12-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Apart from the music.. :) It's often the users that make a network... I use Soulseek for two reasons, I can download files of high quality...and more important, the friends one makes there..After all the changes on this board...I was pleasantly surprised to find many of the users, that used to contribute so much, to making this a great board to be a member of, lurking in the chat there... or a frequent visitor :)

4play
12-28-2005, 03:05 PM
yeah the fact kazaa only hashes the first bit of any files meant that real files could be easily corrupted infact i read a report on kazaa saying their best estimate is that 50% of all the files are corrupt in some way which is not surprising.

soulseek is based on an old version of winmx (or openap) if i recall thats why it has no multipeer which is a serious limitation to it.

thewizeard
12-29-2005, 02:54 PM
I am trying Lopster on the openap circuit, (winlop) it does offer multi-sourcing, but you know, on Soulseek with todays broadband speeds, it does not make a lot of difference. Sometimes the downloaded files using multi-sourcing are not always seamless, so you can waste bandwidth... I have never downloaded a "bad" file on Soulseek.