PDA

View Full Version : RIAA Targets I2Hub Users

RealitY
10-02-2005, 02:54 AM
The RIAA continues its two pronged campaign in combating the proliferation of the P2P community. Whether this campaign is having any real success is another matter, as the RIAA is confronting the growing issue of university students continuing to share files on various P2P networks.

This time around, the RIAA has filed 757 "John Doe" lawsuits. Among those lawsuits, the RIAA has targeted additional I2Hub members. The RIAA appears to be concentrating a bit more on university students recently, as their attempts to persuade the use of "legitimate" networks does not appear to be taking hold. Today's additional lawsuits bring the total number of those sued to 14,800 individuals, including a total of 560 I2Hub users.

Although the RIAA has been successful in the courtrooms against P2P networks, they have not fair well against the overall growth of file-sharing. Since the beginning of the RIAA lawsuits in June of 2003, the online population of the P2P community has nearly tripled.

So what's going wrong for the music industry? There isn't a clear answer to this; however infighting appears to be having a detrimental affect in their efforts to control the Internet population. Recently Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, called the music industry "greedy" if they suggest any kind of price increase.

The music industry struck back yesterday, continuing its stance that iTunes change its 99 cent policy. In fact, the record labels are already threatening to boycott iTunes if Steve Jobs doesn't change its policy.

If infighting boils over to the point of a boycott, the end result could be damaging to both the fledgling online music services and further drive the P2P population upwards.

:source: Source: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=936

Samurai
10-02-2005, 04:48 AM
They only want profit profit profit. They even said themselves (the RIAA) that artists were "suffering" because people are only buying the most popular tunes on iTunes, Napster etc...

Notice to RIAA. WAKE UP! We don't want to spend over the odds amount of cash on a CD which may contain 3 decent tracks at best. Of course the popular tracks will fly out. Maybe now you'll stop sandwiching crappy tracks into an album and expect it to sell. And maybe when it doesn't go gold or platinum, maybe just maybe it's down to yourselves filling the albums with 90% junk, and not file sharers.

I also have no idea why it costs almost twice as much to purchase a single track from the UK than the US even though the quality is the same. So guess what? I'll continue to download them illegally, and support the artists who actually know what they're doing by purchasing their albums. No one likes you, and you're making even the common folk despise you for your bully-boy tactics with regards to "settling up".

You have a long way to go to get people to think of you in a good light :dry:

backlash
10-02-2005, 05:50 PM
what's 12Hub?

Xilo
10-02-2005, 07:31 PM
what's 12Hub?
The I2Hub is a Direct Connect hub for those who have access to Internet 2. Mostly, this consists of a select 206 universities that happen to have connection to an Internet 2 backbone or have one themselves.

backlash
10-02-2005, 07:57 PM
wow. that's cool (not the whole getting sued part).