PDA

View Full Version : Indie/emo Fans?!?

emo_fan77
04-15-2003, 11:00 PM
I notice a lot of people on this board that are into the more mainstream stuff, so I am trying to find all the Indie fans!!!!!!!!!!!!
What are some peoples favorite Indie/Emo bands?

MagicNakor
04-16-2003, 01:09 AM
I must say I've never even heard of "emo."

:ninja:

emo_fan77
04-16-2003, 02:33 AM
Emo stand for "emotional" music. It is usually lumped in with Indie Rock. Emo is also kind of hard to define since there is not a real music style to it. Emo usualy deals with the lyrics. The lyrics are usually about the loss of love and quite depressing. The one feature that all Emo bands usually possess are very high, whiney vocals.

Examples:

Dashboard Confessional: A lot of people don't consider them Emo, but to me they follow the format.

The Juliana Theory: The CD title "Emotion is Dead" is very much emo

Further Seems Forever: The album "Moon Is Down" is emo

One Line Drawing: Similar to Dashboard Confessional

Two Thirty Eight: Almost an Emocore band.

Those are some examples and like all good genres Emo has many sub genres such as Emocore, Scremo, etc.

Hope that helps, and if anyone thinks my definition is wrong or wants to add anything feel free.

MagicNakor
04-16-2003, 03:39 AM
Couldn't it be argued that most music is emotional?

High, whiny voices tend to produce the "headache emotion" in me. ;)

opivy
04-16-2003, 05:46 AM
Emo is a bunch of babys whining about stupid stuff in really high anoying voices
:D

soopaman
04-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by emo_fan77@16 April 2003 - 03:33
Emo has many sub genres such as Emocore, Scremo, etc.

Hope that helps, and if anyone thinks my definition is wrong or wants to add anything feel free.

I must admit I'd never heard of "emo" until I read this post. AND it has sub-genres. I am so out of touch!! :lol: Surely it should just be called "Indie". All this endless categorisation of music is just crap. Anyway, "Indie" means anything released on an independent record label. Kylie Minogue's "I Should Be So Lucky" was number 1 in the UK Indie chart for ages. So the genre is VERY wide ranging.

I was quite an Indie fan in my youth and liked loads of bands:

Wonderstuff
Spacemen 3
Butthole Surfers
Pogues
Stone Roses
House of Love
Joy Division
New Order
The Smiths
The Wedding Present

Indie was a sideline to my main passion though. :ph34r:

soopaman
04-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by emo_fan77@16 April 2003 - 03:33
Emo has many sub genres such as Emocore, Scremo, etc.

I must admit I'd never heard of "emo" until I read this post. AND it has sub-genres. I am so out of touch!! :lol:

Surely it should just be called "Indie". All this endless categorisation of music is just crap. Anyway, "Indie" means anything released on an independent record label. Kylie Minogue's "I Should Be So Lucky" was number 1 in the UK Indie chart for ages. So the genre is VERY wide ranging.

I was quite an Indie fan in my youth and liked loads of bands:

Wonderstuff
Spacemen 3
Butthole Surfers
Pogues
Stone Roses
House of Love
Joy Division
New Order
The Smiths
The Wedding Present
Happy Mondays

Indie was a sideline to my main passion though. :ph34r:

emo_fan77
04-16-2003, 01:48 PM
actually Indie is now a genre. There are indy bands which are what you are talking about, and the Indie bands. Indie rock has its on style as well. Yes, I know it is all confusing but thats the way it goes I guesss.

Yeah thats the reason a lot of people argue it should not be called Emo; however, Emo is usually a lot more emotional then most music. In the more underground Emo it is not uncommon to see the singer break down into tears during the set. Also emo bands are usually very close to their fans and rely on them heavily.

I am going to look for an article that was posted once about Emo music and its subgenres. If I find it I will post it and hopefully it will help.

N£MO
04-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by emo_fan77@16 April 2003 - 14:48
actually Indie is now a genre. There are indy bands which are what you are talking about, and the Indie bands. Indie rock has its on style as well. Yes, I know it is all confusing but thats the way it goes I guesss.

Yeah thats the reason a lot of people argue it should not be called Emo; however, Emo is usually a lot more emotional then most music. In the more underground Emo it is not uncommon to see the singer break down into tears during the set. Also emo bands are usually very close to their fans and rely on them heavily.

I am going to look for an article that was posted once about Emo music and its subgenres. If I find it I will post it and hopefully it will help.
I consider myself to be a big indie fan and have done for years now but i have never heard of 'emo' music as a genre,where abouts in the world are you?As sometimes genre's are named differently in various parts of the world,im in England and as i said never come accross 'emo'. :huh:

Would be interested to read any articles you find on this subject,thanks :)

emo_fan77
04-16-2003, 03:43 PM
http://www.fourfa.com/styles/stylesintro.htm

There is some background on Emo. They differ from me some on the definition, but like I said Emo is very hard to define and almost eveyone has a different definition for it. But check it out and let me know what you think.

N£MO
04-16-2003, 07:23 PM
I read the info on that site,thanks.

emo_fan77 Posted on 16 April 2003 - 14:48
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indie is indy no matter how you spell it too.IMO the genre doesnt change because the name is spelt differently.And too much categorization of music is a bad thing,keep your ears open to all music regardless of certain bizarre genre's :)

emo_fan77
04-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Well the point I was trying to make is Indy is any band that is not signed to a label, but Indie Rock is form of rock music; thus, they are two completely different things.

MagicNakor
04-16-2003, 10:43 PM
...Yeah thats the reason a lot of people argue it should not be called Emo; however, Emo is usually a lot more emotional then most music...
After listening to some of what you posted, I'm going to have to disagree there. My classical music has far more emotion than those. ;)

emo_fan77
04-17-2003, 01:11 AM
After listening to some of what you posted, I'm going to have to disagree there. My classical music has far more emotion than those.

I respect your opinion, and the bands I listed may not have been the best examples since I couple of them are now more Indie rock (as well as they are considered "poppy" emo). But if you read Dashboard Confessional's lyrics there is alot of emotion in them. Especially in The Swiss Army Romance Album. In the song "The Bitter Pill" Chris Carrabba actually breaks down into tears. It is also a great song!!!!!!

By the way, what bands did you listen to and what songs?

Thanks.

twstedroads
04-17-2003, 04:43 AM
favorite bands:

jimmy eat world
brand new
the juliana theory
elliott
the gloria record
mineral
open hand
taking back sunday
sunny day real estate
further seems forever
penfold
mock orange
the appleseed cast
brandtson
planes mistaken for stars
jets to brazil
cursive
pedro the lion
minus the bear
many, many, more.

emo is in my opinion the most underrated music genre in the history of music. anyone who can pull off being in an emo band like these above, in my opinion are genius.

cool to know theres another emo kid on the board by the way ;)

emo_fan77
04-17-2003, 04:51 AM
yeah dude, i love a lot of those bands. Pedro the Lion is awsome!!!!!!!

twstedroads
04-17-2003, 04:53 AM
damn straight

soopaman
04-17-2003, 04:38 PM

I think I'm missing the point. Indy is Indie. Doesn't matter how it's spelt!! How are the two genres different? Indy/Indie means an independantly released track. It was only ever a loose category of music. People that keep perpetuating the divisions in the music scene are killing it for music lovers everywhere!!

STOP COMPARTMENTALISING MUSIC.

As for the emotional aspect of "emo" I agree with N£MO and MagicNakor on that one. All music is (or should be) emotional, just because a singer might start to cry doesn't mean that the song they are singing is any more emotional than any other song. What about "The Blues" or "Soul" music?? Are they "emo" now cause they express emotion?? And they've been around for years unlike this vaguely defined category. :P

emo_fan77
04-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Dude Indy is not a genre of music. Indy is any band that is not on a major label; however, INDIE IS A GENRE!!!!!!!!
On to the whole emotional aspect of music.....

Yes all music is emotional, but if you ever go to an underground emo band's concert you will realize the difference. The singer is crying, the crowd is usually in tears, and it is just a very emotional atmosphere. Also emo bands do have a distinct sound, if you would read the article I posted it explains it. They could not call the bands Hardcore because they were not hardcore, but they could not call the bands punk because they were not punk; therefore, a new genre had to be born.

Also I am tired of people saying there are too many genres of music. People complain saying that music is over catagorized but do you really want everyone to just be called Rock and Roll?!?!? If someone ask you hey what kind of music Korn plays and you tell them they are Rock and Roll that person will be very confused. I mean to go to a store and ask for Rock and Roll bands that person is not going to get the Korn sound. But if you were to tell them they are an Aggro band and they go and ask for other Aggro bands they are going to have an easy time finding things.

Genres just make everything a lot easier. Yes bands may not like being placed in genres, and older people may not like having to learn the new genres. But if that is the case then just don't learn them. Stick to whatever music you like and leave us to creating our genres. :P