PDA

View Full Version : My train seat for your vote

Cheese
10-06-2005, 09:54 AM
MY TRAIN SEAT FOR YOUR VOTE

In these days of so-called equal opportunities, it seems to me that some women are adopting an à la carte approach to women's rights and civil equality, asserting their rights when it suits them and reverting back to another century when it doesn't.

Every day I commute on the train from Fife to work in Edinburgh. And every day the train is packed to capacity with scores of passengers being forced to stand due to the chronic shortage of carriages.

This is always a stressful and uncomfortable experience for everyone but is usually accepted by millions of Britons as part-and-parcel of the daily drudgery of commuting.

Last week, however, events took a nasty turn when I was angrily harangued by a 30-something female passenger, for not doing the "gentlemanly thing" and giving up my seat.

My response: "You're joking, aren't you? What? You want my seat and the right to vote? Forget it."

This was not well received and resulted in other female passengers interjecting and saying how rude I was.

Genuine need

Can I be alone in finding this hypocrisy astonishing? Why should I give up my seat to someone solely on account of their gender?

Have these women never heard of the suffragettes? Do the phrases "women's liberation" and "sexual equality" mean anything to these women?

Like many men, I often give up my seat for passengers who have a genuine need - pregnant women, elderly, and visually impaired passengers, for example.

But give up my seat purely because someone is female? Dream on.

Am I being selfish, insensitive, ungentlemanly or unchivalrous? No. In sticking to my guns I'm standing up for equal rights, of course.

It seems to me that these complaining women are the same verbose characters who would are the first to sound off about women's rights and equality of opportunity on issues like equal pay, equal pensions and such like.

No 'special rights'

I'm all for equal rights. But not special rights. People like this want to have their cake and eat it.

But, I suppose, being a member of THE most discriminated against minority (white, middle-aged, heterosexual males) that my opinion will be dismissed as male chauvinist claptrap.

It was interesting that as I was leaving the train at Edinburgh, a number of fellow passengers who had witnessed this exchange, commented in passing: "Well said, mate", "Good on you, pal."

Guess which gender they were.

It's your choice ladies; my seat on the 0755 from Dunfermline in exchange for your right to vote. You can't have both.

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4305174.stm)

Personally I give up my seat to the elderly or infirm, but not pregnant women in case they're not really pregnant.:ermm:

Barbarossa
10-06-2005, 10:01 AM
MY TRAIN SEAT FOR YOUR VOTE

In these days of so-called equal opportunities, it seems to me that some women are adopting an à la carte approach to women's rights and civil equality, asserting their rights when it suits them and reverting back to another century when it doesn't.

Every day I commute on the train from Fife to work in Edinburgh. And every day the train is packed to capacity with scores of passengers being forced to stand due to the chronic shortage of carriages.

This is always a stressful and uncomfortable experience for everyone but is usually accepted by millions of Britons as part-and-parcel of the daily drudgery of commuting.

Last week, however, events took a nasty turn when I was angrily harangued by a 30-something female passenger, for not doing the "gentlemanly thing" and giving up my seat.

My response: "You're joking, aren't you? What? You want my seat and the right to vote? Forget it."

This was not well received and resulted in other female passengers interjecting and saying how rude I was.

Genuine need

Can I be alone in finding this hypocrisy astonishing? Why should I give up my seat to someone solely on account of their gender?

Have these women never heard of the suffragettes? Do the phrases "women's liberation" and "sexual equality" mean anything to these women?

Like many men, I often give up my seat for passengers who have a genuine need - pregnant women, elderly, and visually impaired passengers, for example.

But give up my seat purely because someone is female? Dream on.

Am I being selfish, insensitive, ungentlemanly or unchivalrous? No. In sticking to my guns I'm standing up for equal rights, of course.

It seems to me that these complaining women are the same verbose characters who would are the first to sound off about women's rights and equality of opportunity on issues like equal pay, equal pensions and such like.

No 'special rights'

I'm all for equal rights. But not special rights. People like this want to have their cake and eat it.

But, I suppose, being a member of THE most discriminated against minority (white, middle-aged, heterosexual males) that my opinion will be dismissed as male chauvinist claptrap.

It was interesting that as I was leaving the train at Edinburgh, a number of fellow passengers who had witnessed this exchange, commented in passing: "Well said, mate", "Good on you, pal."

Guess which gender they were.

It's your choice ladies; my seat on the 0755 from Dunfermline in exchange for your right to vote. You can't have both.

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4305174.stm)

Personally I give up my seat to the elderly or infirm, but not pregnant women in case they're not really pregnant.:ermm:

I'd have given up my seat, and spent the rest of the journey farting in her face. :rolleyes:

manker
10-06-2005, 11:01 AM
j2 would give up his seat because 'A gentleman will always aid a lady, period'.

However, the rest of us would stare with incredulity at the able-bodied woman, demeaning herself in this pitiful way.

Well, I would anyway - with one eyebrow raised in a quizzical manner.

Barbarossa
10-06-2005, 12:26 PM

However, the rest of us would stare with incredulity at the able-bodied woman, demeaning herself in this pitiful way.

Busyman would probably do it for a blow-job. :pinch:

sArA
10-06-2005, 01:17 PM
women like that give the rest of us a bad name....

I for one have given up my seat for elderly or disabled people (male or female) and pregnant women etc.

I have also been offered a seat by men before who were operating their choice to revert to courtly manners. I did not demand it, and they offered it freely so that is fine by me. I also always hold the door for the person behind me, regardless of age, sex etc because I think it is just good manners.

ahctlucabbuS
10-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Space ship > train set > boat.

Oh wait, wrong thread. :rolleyes:

I'd respond like any sane beeing. If she had small children however, it would be a different matter....

vidcc
10-06-2005, 03:17 PM
In sticking to my guns I'm standing up for equal rights, of course.
sitting in this case.

I have to say that I am taking the validity of the incident with a pinch of salt, however as a topic it's fair game.
There should never be an expectation for someone to give up a seat. It is purely at the discretion of the occupant of the seat.

I would not give up a seat for a young able bodied person simply because that person is female.(not that I use public transport) I do however still open doors etc. For me the criteria would be age and physical ability. An elderly person will always get my seat, be they female or male.
One addition. If I had no seat and were to see a teenager sat down and an old lady or gentleman standing I would not hesitate in suggesting to the teenager that they should vacate the seat for the elderly person and would have no problem publically shaming the teenager if they refused.

Barbarossa
10-06-2005, 03:21 PM
I get quite annoyed on trains when people have their bags on seats and then people have to stand because there's nowhere to sit... I quite often ask if I can sit there in those circumstances.. (unless the person has really bad B.O. :sick: )

manker
10-06-2005, 04:19 PM
I would not hesitate in suggesting to the teenager that they should vacate the seat for the elderly person and would have no problem publically shaming the teenager if they refused.Well, that wouldn't be so clever if the teenager had a particular ailment that required him or her to be seated. Who is to say that the teenager hasn't got a valid reason for refusing to move -- if he or she does indeed have such a reason, then why should it be shared with not only some busy-body (you), eager to impose his morals on others, but also the people within earshot.

Politely suggesting that some individual move for an infirm person, if the individual is looking out of the window listening to an iPod or something, is fine - but publically shaming someone because they don't feel like moving or explaining why, is being a tosser.

It also wouldn't be so smart if he or she drew themself to their full height and beat the crap out of you :)

vidcc
10-06-2005, 05:19 PM
I would not hesitate in suggesting to the teenager that they should vacate the seat for the elderly person and would have no problem publically shaming the teenager if they refused.Well, that wouldn't be so clever if the teenager had a particular ailment that required him or her to be seated. Who is to say that the teenager hasn't got a valid reason for refusing to move -- if he or she does indeed have such a reason, then why should it be shared with not only some busy-body (you), eager to impose his morals on others, but also the people within earshot.If they have a valid reason fine, I am not talking about tiny tim with his crutches :rolleyes:

Politely suggesting that some individual move for an infirm person, if the individual is looking out of the window listening to an iPod or something, is fine - but publically shaming someone because they don't feel like moving or explaining why, is being a tosser. Do you honestly think my initial approach would be "oi wanker move!!!!!" and do you think it unreasonable to voice my opinion of the selfish youth. Of course they have every right to not give up their seat and i have no right to force them, I am not talking about yanking them off the seat by their ears.

It also wouldn't be so smart if he or she drew themself to their full height and beat the crap out of you :)

That is the difference between people of character and cowards. If everyone were to cower and assume the foetal position we would live in a world where you couldn't take your kids to Disney without people pushing in front of the line.
If Gandhi or Martin Luther King jr. hadn't stood up and be people of character where would we be ( i know a completely different ball park)

Busyman
10-06-2005, 05:29 PM

Hey..if she's wants to give me a blow-job for giving up my seat...so be it. :naughty:

JPaul
10-06-2005, 05:31 PM
If they have a valid reason fine,
One assumes then that you are the person who decides if their reason is valid.

You - What is your reason for remaining seated.

Them - Insert reason

You - Sorry, that is not a valid reason, please move.

Them - OK, my bad

You - Quite alright, you'll know for the future.

JPaul
10-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Hey..if she's wants to give me a blow-job for giving up my seat...so be it. :naughty:
You would accept anal penetration to get a blow job :sick:

Busyman
10-06-2005, 05:35 PM
I get quite annoyed on trains when people have their bags on seats and then people have to stand because there's nowhere to sit... I quite often ask if I can sit there in those circumstances.. (unless the person has really bad B.O. :sick: )
I'd probably move there shit...after asking nicely of course.

I ride the train everyday and it's a motherfucker.

I used to give my seat up ALL THE TIME for a female now I never do it unless it's wifey (we ride together).

What happens is I walk ahead her to get our seats and stick my bag in the seat beside me to save it for her. Well, yesterday I did just that and there was a female that just missed the seat (as I stuck my bag there) and she asked was I saving the seat for someone. I answered yes and the my lady came and I gave here the seat.......since the female didn't act like an asshole though, I gave up my seat to her..

Normally though, I don't give up a seat unless it's for the elderly/disabled/pregnant group.

I get the younger knuckleheads that try to take up 2 seats and shit and I say excuse me and they fucking move. Other people on the train just stand up like they're afraid to ask them.

There was only one time I had to tell this knucklehead to move his fucking leg so I could sit down. After I sat down, all the other riders sat there looking at me while nodding their heads.

Another time I actually pushed this fella out the train.......twice. (it was stopped of course) after it was already packed like sardines and tried squeeze in at the expense of me. I yelled, "I told you it's fucking full!!". When he first tried get on I told him he wasn't going to make it. I was the wrong one to try and push in.

I also have a habit of bumping people out the way when they don't let me out of the train. Wtf is it they don't understand? Let people get off the motherfucker before you get on. I'll bump a lady if she doesn't move (just a nudge). Tbh woman are the worst as far as rudeness. Young girls are next. Older fellas last.

manker
10-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Can't be arsed with the tags so no quote.

Vid, how would you know if they had a valid reason, you said that you'd ask them to move and publically shame them if they refused. The valid reason may not be visible to a cursory glance.

My point stands that they shouldn't be made to feel they have to share their valid reason, since it may be potentially embarrasing, on your whim.

Physically moving them wasn't what I said, I said you'd be a tosser for attempting a public shaming due to a refusal when you had no clue as to the reason why.

Which you would be.

The last point was more a joke than anything. I doubt even the most obstreperous teenager would give you a thrashing for babbling at them on a bus.

Btw, I replied because I'm not that far out of my teens myself, and tried to be respectful to my elders at that time - I didn't like it when I got lumped in with those that weren't when old people decided to go on a 'Youth of today - they don't know they're born' rant.

I try to refrain from stereotyping teenagers. Most are pretty cool.

vidcc
10-06-2005, 05:58 PM
@ manker

You are setting up hypothetical situations and it seems making assumptions as to how I would react. Every situation is different. I apologise for making a general statement and will in future try to write a 50 page essay covering every conceivable possibility ;)

Disclaimer:

This post has been written to be brief. no responsibility can be accepted for any missed possibilities. This does not mean that the author is unaware of other possibilities or that other possibilities have been ignored. Any similarity between points raised in this post to any other point raised by others is purely coincidental.

Busyman
10-06-2005, 06:05 PM
You would accept anal penetration to get a blow job :sick:
:blink:

RIF

EDIT: HAHA seat does not = ass :ermm:

:P

DanB
10-06-2005, 06:53 PM
fuck them, they should get on the train earlier, some of us have to battle on the bus with 300 schoolkids

GepperRankins
10-06-2005, 06:56 PM
good point, they should get on the train earlier :snooty:

DanB
10-06-2005, 07:07 PM
The last point was more a joke than anything. I doubt even the most obstreperous teenager would give you a thrashing for babbling at them on a bus.

you obviously missed the story in the national press where some normal man asked some knobber to stop throwing chips at his girlfriend and the other passengers on the bus who got stabbed and killed for his troubles?

Barbarossa
10-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Normally though, I don't give up a seat unless it's for the elderly/disabled/pregnant group.

Do they have to match all three criteria? :unsure:

manker
10-07-2005, 09:25 AM
@ manker

You are setting up hypothetical situations and it seems making assumptions as to how I would react. Every situation is different. I apologise for making a general statement and will in future try to write a 50 page essay covering every conceivable possibility ;)

Disclaimer:

This post has been written to be brief. no responsibility can be accepted for any missed possibilities. This does not mean that the author is unaware of other possibilities or that other possibilities have been ignored. Any similarity between points raised in this post to any other point raised by others is purely coincidental.If you wouldn't mind. I get awfully het up when people write something and tell me they meant something else.

You did say, I would publically shame the teenager if he or she refused.

Seemed cut and dried to me - but as you meant something else, I guess it's okay.

manker
10-07-2005, 09:27 AM

you obviously missed the story in the national press where some normal man asked some knobber to stop throwing chips at his girlfriend and the other passengers on the bus who got stabbed and killed for his troubles?Indeed I did.

I'm surprised vid has survived to tell us his thoughts. It's a good job he lives in Texas and not the UK :blink:

whypikonme
10-07-2005, 10:08 AM
I'd probably move there shit...

I get the younger knuckleheads that try to take up 2 seats and shit and I say excuse me and they fucking move ...

There was only one time I had to tell this knucklehead to move his fucking leg so I could sit down. ...

Another time I actually pushed this fella out the train ...

l yelled, "I told you it's fucking full!!"...

I also have a habit of bumping people out the way when they don't let me out of the train ...

I'll bump a lady if she doesn't move ...

How do sit in one of those little seats at 7ft 6ins? Don't your knees hit the seat in front?

Busyman
10-07-2005, 10:34 AM
I'd probably move there shit...

I get the younger knuckleheads that try to take up 2 seats and shit and I say excuse me and they fucking move ...

There was only one time I had to tell this knucklehead to move his fucking leg so I could sit down. ...

Another time I actually pushed this fella out the train ...

l yelled, "I told you it's fucking full!!"...

I also have a habit of bumping people out the way when they don't let me out of the train ...

I'll bump a lady if she doesn't move ...

How do sit in one of those little seats at 7ft 6ins? Don't your knees hit the seat in front?
Who the hell said the seats were little?

RIF.

Besides that, I sit in the seats nearest to the doors which have no seats in front of it.

manker
10-07-2005, 10:37 AM
They're usually for disabled people.

I don't think being socially maladjusted counts as a legitimate disability.

Barbarossa
10-07-2005, 10:41 AM

You'll have to ask vidcc... ;)

EDIT: Imagine if vidcc caught the same train as busyman... now I'd pay to watch that!! :lol:

Busyman
10-07-2005, 10:46 AM

What's your point man? :ermm:

manker
10-07-2005, 10:46 AM
EDIT: Imagine if vidcc caught the same train as busyman... now I'd pay to watch that!! :lol:It would be a race against time.

Would Busyman shoot him before vidcc bored him to sleep with a moralistic lambasting :D

JPaul
10-07-2005, 01:32 PM
EDIT: Imagine if vidcc caught the same train as busyman... now I'd pay to watch that!! :lol:It would be a race against time.

Would Busyman shoot him before vidcc bored him to sleep with a moralistic lambasting :D
:lol:

Busyman
10-07-2005, 01:59 PM

nvm

Cheese
10-07-2005, 03:15 PM
There was this annoying girl on the bus today trying to get my seat. She was all like, "You're taking up all the back seats" and "But David I'm your girlfriend" but I sat my ground. :01:

Samurai
10-07-2005, 03:46 PM
There was this annoying girl on the bus today trying to get my seat. She was all like, "You're taking up all the back seats" and "But David I'm your girlfriend" but I sat my ground. :01:

Good job! :01: