PDA

View Full Version : Why I use Windows. By default really.

zapjb
10-06-2005, 10:01 PM
I stayed with my good friends a while back for a week. Their an Apple only household. It was quite easy surfing & emailing. Didn't do anything else. But was impressed none the less. But I'm not going to shell out the money for the hardware. My tower I built almost 2yrs ago is rock solid. Used only the most reliable components.
Now Linux, tried a couple distros & a live CD or 2. No modem support. That'd be around $30 for a new modem, not a big deal. But I couldn't fn get any distros to function in any meaningful way for me. I take 1/2 responsibilty for this. The other half goes to the Linux distro developers imo. Very little hardware support native for each distro. And for Windows users very counterintuitive.
To sum it up from what I've experienced Windows & Apple OS's are ready to use. And Linux is not.

Yoga
10-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Do torture yourself with linux, you can run the apple os on a pc.

Virtualbody1234
10-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Any chance your unsupported modem was a Winmodem?

Apple's OS may seem ready to use but just try to shop for software and games for it. Very slim pickings.

zapjb
10-06-2005, 10:17 PM
VB I believe you are correct. This is it: Broadxent V.92 PCI DI3631-1

erRor67
10-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Theres a hacked verson of Mac OS that works on PCs. ;)

As for linux, I like linux.. Might take awhile to get the hang of it, but its pretty damn good.

twisterX
10-06-2005, 10:38 PM
i woudl never consider using another OS. I know most about windows and its the easiest to use. Why strt over when this one is good

peat moss
10-07-2005, 01:22 AM
i woudl never consider using another OS. I know most about windows and its the easiest to use. Why strt over when this one is good

Cause some people are curious about what they may be missing . I'd love to sit down in front of a Mac just to see the difference . ;)

zapjb
10-07-2005, 01:49 AM
Jeez I'd like somebody (an expert or at least experienced) to sit down & explain Red Hat, Ubuntu or another popular Linux distro. Like a couple hours a week. Shees sounds like a class or school. No not right now. But something casual. Like I'd have it on a spare HDD or a partition. To get me going so I can explore it. Believe me I've tried. Very, very frustrating! :frusty:

Samurai
10-07-2005, 02:22 AM
is it possible to have 2 different OS's like XP on one HDD and Mac OS on different partitions or even HDD's?

peat moss
10-07-2005, 02:35 AM
is it possible to have 2 different OS's like XP on one HDD and Mac OS on different partitions or even HDD's?

I have a nerd buddie from work with 6 O/S on his computer , I can't be bothered too complicated . Bad enough with 3 browsers ! :lol:

Yoga
10-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Just stick with windows.

cldnails
10-07-2005, 06:06 PM
I have 2 computers at my desk, one for *cough*seeding*cough* and the other for general browsing, burning, gaming, and the like. I tried on more than a handful of times to run a Linux distro...but could never get the hang of it. I got the basics down, but as soon as I tried to do something that was simple in Windows, on there, it was terribly difficult. However, I do recognize that each have there plus's and minus's.

For those of you looking to get into Linux the most intuitive distro I found was Suse. Oh, and learn to use RPM's, they can make life so much easier.

fkdup74
10-07-2005, 08:14 PM
meh. yes, stick with Windows....
and when XP loses all support in favor of Vista,
you can buy new hardware to support Vista....
like a fkn TB of RAM and a $1000 gfx card :P

remember ppl, Linux is mostly developed by smaller corporations/individuals
not by the billionaire Billy Gates
which means less resources (money) to put towards development
in light of that, I think Linux developers have done a fine job
and distros like Suse, Fedora...not much different from Windows IMO
getting around inside those were relatively easy I thought

and as for Mac, I have no intention of dropping my childrens' college tuition on a freakin computer :P

twisterX
10-08-2005, 04:40 AM

I have a nerd buddie from work with 6 O/S on his computer , I can't be bothered too complicated . Bad enough with 3 browsers ! :lol:

totally agree.

Delorean
10-08-2005, 05:59 AM
I never had the chance to check mac OS but i heard that Mac's GUI is much better than windows... however the hardware is too damn expensive here in cyprus to buy it so i'll stick with my pc..

However if something like THIS (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html) happens i think i'll go with Mac..

digmen1
10-10-2005, 04:20 AM
Yes,

A very interesting topic that we could discuss for ages.

I used to sell IBM compatible computers in the 1980's and came up agianst people wanting to buy Apples cos their school used them. But most of my customers were business users and there was little if any Mac business accounting software. So they always bought IBM compatible.

I have always heard that Mac OS is easier to setup and that everything just plugs in and works. When you think what we all go through with our PC's and ME and XP etc you would wonder why we stick with them. If MAC's were that great it would be worth the few extra dollars that they cost initially in relation to the time we would all save.

But then again we don't think like that and is the MAC OS really that great.

I see Windows Vista will have some "features" that MAC users have had for years !

I wonder if that is really the case ?

Regards

Digby
NZ

fkdup74
10-10-2005, 05:06 AM
I have always heard that Mac OS is easier to setup and that everything just plugs in and works. When you think what we all go through with our PC's and ME and XP etc you would wonder why we stick with them. If MAC's were that great it would be worth the few extra dollars that they cost initially in relation to the time we would all save.

ummm...
everything "plugs in and works" on my PC :P
with Windows and Linux, hell, maybe I'm just lucky like that
and as for "the few extra dollars".......
well, I won't say, I'll get back on that
I'm gonna get some price quotes on comparably equipped PCs and Macs,
then I'll have my say :P

Delorean
10-10-2005, 06:20 PM
In cyprus a Mac hardware would cost about 1000 pounds which is $2000!

Plus any extra parameter device... Against a $600 pc full equipeded..

Well thats not a few extra dollars... btw Windows were made out of Mac... in case you don't know Mac were the first OS with GUI! Bill Gates tricked steve and stole his GUI...

Anw... Mac (my opinion) are better than windows... windows though are more well known because they released first.... so people learn them better and nobody really care about mac in first place since the beggining! Half of the people only know windows as an operating system... they don't have a single clue if any other exists... so they trust Microsoft's windows and thus choose them!